Curious thing

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

3 posts / 0 new

Just an observation: Whenever I Google a topic, I notice that soon there are related links, usually ads, that appear on the right hand frame of the screen. It is obvious that whatever I am Googling is being tracked. The ads are not random or coincidental; they are directly related to whatever I have been researching. So ... I wonder how it happens that, given the fact that I search "Bernie Sanders" at least 5 or 6 times a day on Google, I suddenly see ads for Hillary Clinton ("I'm with Her," and requests that I commit to voting for Hillery). In every other case, my Google searches yield ads for things I have actually searched for, but, in the case of Bernie Sanders, the ads never promote Bernie, but quite the opposite: Hillary Clinton. I have trouble believing this is a coincidence.

Aletazo's picture
Aletazo

Comments

OK, see, here's the thing: people PAY Google for ad placement based on search terms. Let's see if you can take it from here.

stwo's picture
stwo

Google (actually Alphabet, Inc), which does about $75 Billion in business each year, is selling a product. That product is you and your information. The buyers are advertizers. They not only track your search terms, but also scan your emails and check your GPS location.

Next time you're at a mall, notice if you start to get ads on your phone's browser for stores that happen to be in that mall.

Whenever I drive through a Spanish-speaking neighborhood, I suddenly get ads in Spanish on my sidebar.

It's not some huge corporate conspiracy. It's their business model. How else did you think they made money? Did they create the search algorithms and invest in all of the servers out of the goodness of their hearts?

If you own a business, you can also pay Google and Facebook and Yahoo to make sure that your business' ads pop up to potential customers, and not just any random person. That's the beauty of their product, from the point of view of an advertizer. Why pay to send ads to people who don't need or can't afford your product? Target the ads just to the target audience.

ChicagoMatt

What Do Democrats Really Want?

Thom plus logo Thomas Friedman, the confused billionaire, told us decades ago that "free trade" is what made the Lexus a successful product when, in fact, it was decades of Japanese government subsidies and explicit tariffs that did so.