38 Arguments Against TTIP

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

2 posts / 0 new

38 Arguments Against the TTIPby Harald Klimenta, Maritta Strasser and Peter Fuchs http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2016/05/432226.shtml TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership agreement) continues an old thinking instead of everyone sharing in the profits of a few. The ISDS (Investor-State-Dispute Settlement) private arbitration courts enable corporations to sue states and could have a chilling effect on labor and environmental protection. The German Judges Union called the agreement unnecessary and the additional protection of foreign investors "nonsense." The Alternative Trade Mandate worked out by 50 European NGOs would lead to a future-friendly and environmentally sensitive trade system.

demandside's picture
demandside

Comments

Here's an actual, working link, 38 Arguments Against TTIP, in case anyone happens to want to look closely at these 38 reasons, which I find not that different in nature from the reasons I and others had for going up against NAFTA and GATT in the early 90s. As I recall that was a time when we, as private citizens and even intellectual members of the academic community, had far more access to the proceedings than we, as increasingly rendered 'mere and irrelevant' private citizens have now. Which reminds me of what Nixon said about the bombings of North Vietnam and other tragedies of that era back in '65 when men of my generation were being unwittingly drafted as spear carriers for empire:

Quote After Pinkville:

Richard Nixon wrote, in a letter to the New York Times, that ‘… victory for the Viet Cong… would mean ultimately the destruction of freedom of speech for all men for all time not only in Asia, but in the United States as well’ – nothing less.

Of course we are assured we haven't lost the freedom to speak out, just a little of the freedom to get the information we need in order to speak out intelligibly, rather than as moronic, ignorant brutes, as the Edward Snowdens of our era can attest.

For a much broader perspective in which one could place these 38 Arguments, and thus give them context and meaning, perhaps this could be helpful:

American Power Under Challenge; Masters of Mankind (Part 1)

A paragraph to demonstrate connection:

In the contemporary global order, the institutions of the masters hold enormous power, not only in the international arena but also within their home states, on which they rely to protect their power and to provide economic support by a wide variety of means. When we consider the role of the masters of mankind, we turn to such state policy priorities of the moment as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, one of the investor-rights agreements mislabeled “free-trade agreements” in propaganda and commentary. They are negotiated in secret, apart from the hundreds of corporate lawyers and lobbyists writing the crucial details. The intention is to have them adopted in good Stalinist style with “fast track” procedures designed to block discussion and allow only the choice of yes or no (hence yes). The designers regularly do quite well, not surprisingly. People are incidental, with the consequences one might anticipate.

.ren's picture
.ren

Democracy Itself Is on Trial

Thom plus logo While Donald Trump is on trial in the Senate impeachment hearings, many commentators are pointing out that the Senate is also at trial. Few, however, are pointing out that the fare and future of our country may will also be decided by this trial.