The lie that is Israel

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

83 posts / 0 new

Comments

I've just reviewed demandside's kindly Johnny Appleseed-like seeding of this forum with the Global Peace Index (GPI) for 2016.

This is interesting, I thought:

Quote GPI Executive Summary:

The 2016 edition expands its coverage by including Palestine for the first time. The index gauges global peace using three broad themes: the level of safety and security in society; the extent of domestic or international conflict; and the degree of militarisation.

The tenth edition of the GPI finds that overall global levels of peace continue to deteriorate while the gap between the most and least peaceful countries continues to widen. The rising global inequality in peace is important to highlight as it masks some positive trends. While some of the most peaceful nations have reached historic levels of peace, the least peaceful nations have become even less peaceful. So intense is the violence and conflict in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region that, when looking at the rest of the world, the average levels of peacefulness in fact increased.

(My bold)

Well, at least this group of international peace measurers (Institute for Economics and Peace) are finally noticing their existence, and therefore plight.

Both Palestine and Israel are at the lower end of the Institute's State of Peace index. Palestine is 148 out of 163 nations, Israel is just above in ranking at 144. I imagine Palestines extent of poverty puts them further down than Israel. The U.S. is "more peaceful" by these measures in that it is ranked at 103. Still, not very peaceful.

I don't know what this actually means to the world. Not much to me so far.

.ren's picture
.ren

Yes, .ren,, for anyone even slightly observant, peace on a global scale continues to decline while violence increases. I doubt that this trend will reverse itself with Hillary in the White House. I hope that I'm wrong.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2
Quote mjolnir:

"Cuomo, Fighting Boycott Against Israel, Will Halt State Business With Groups That Back It"

"Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York is planning to order agencies under his control to divest themselves of companies and organizations aligned with a Palestinian-backed boycott movement against Israel.

Wading into a delicate international issue, Mr. Cuomo will set executive-branch and other state agencies in opposition to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, or B.D.S., which has grown in popularity in some quarters of the United States and elsewhere, alarming Jewish leaders who fear its toll on Israel’s international image and economy.

Several states have moved to support Israel and prevent their governments and agencies from doing business with companies or individuals that endorse the boycotts. Similar bills are currently pending in both houses of the New York Legislature.

But on Sunday, Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, intends to flex his executive power — a more familiar demonstration in the governor’s second term — to expedite such action."

Rhode Island joins the growing list of States that have either passed or are considering Anti-BDS legislation.
"The Rhode Island legislature has joined numerous other states in passing legislation prohibiting the state and its subdivisions from contracting with entities involved in discriminatory boycotts, which would cover the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement. Signature by the Governor is expected.

The recognition that boycotts based on religion and national origin are discriminatory is a prime focus of such legislation. There is no doubt that Israel is singled out because it is majority Jewish and that Israelis are singled out because of national origin."

"Tennessee
April 21, 2015
Illinois
May 18, 2015
South Carolina
June 4, 2015
New York
June 22, 2015
Florida
December 21, 2015
California
December 30, 2015
Alabama
February 16, 2016
Iowa
February 24, 2016
Ohio
February 24, 2016
Georgia
February 26, 2016
Colorado
February 26, 2016
Indiana
March 1, 2016
Virginia
March 10, 2016
Arizona
March 14, 2016"

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:
Quote mjolnir:

"Cuomo, Fighting Boycott Against Israel, Will Halt State Business With Groups That Back It"

"Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York is planning to order agencies under his control to divest themselves of companies and organizations aligned with a Palestinian-backed boycott movement against Israel.

Wading into a delicate international issue, Mr. Cuomo will set executive-branch and other state agencies in opposition to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, or B.D.S., which has grown in popularity in some quarters of the United States and elsewhere, alarming Jewish leaders who fear its toll on Israel’s international image and economy.

Several states have moved to support Israel and prevent their governments and agencies from doing business with companies or individuals that endorse the boycotts. Similar bills are currently pending in both houses of the New York Legislature.

But on Sunday, Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, intends to flex his executive power — a more familiar demonstration in the governor’s second term — to expedite such action."

Rhode Island joins the growing list of States that have either passed or are considering Anti-BDS legislation.
"The Rhode Island legislature has joined numerous other states in passing legislation prohibiting the state and its subdivisions from contracting with entities involved in discriminatory boycotts, which would cover the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement. Signature by the Governor is expected.

The recognition that boycotts based on religion and national origin are discriminatory is a prime focus of such legislation. There is no doubt that Israel is singled out because it is majority Jewish and that Israelis are singled out because of national origin."

"Tennessee
April 21, 2015
Illinois
May 18, 2015
South Carolina
June 4, 2015
New York
June 22, 2015
Florida
December 21, 2015
California
December 30, 2015
Alabama
February 16, 2016
Iowa
February 24, 2016
Ohio
February 24, 2016
Georgia
February 26, 2016
Colorado
February 26, 2016
Indiana
March 1, 2016
Virginia
March 10, 2016
Arizona
March 14, 2016"

June 27, 2016 5:26pm

(JTA) — The New Jersey Legislature passed legislation that prohibits the state from investing pension and annuity funds in companies that boycott Israel or Israeli businesses.

The bipartisan bill in response to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions or BDS movement against Israel passed the state’s General Assembly on Monday by a vote of 69 to 3 with 2 abstentions. It unanimously passed the state Senate in May.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is expected to sign the bill into law.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Joiner, don't you see the contradictions in the stated anti-boycott reasons?

rs allen

The BDS movement has nothing to do with the slaughter of families asleep on the floor with children in refugee centers in Gaza at a UN sponsored school and refugee camp (in spite of 17 warnings from the UN secretary of operations in Gaza), no it's because they are Jews. Right......got it...

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

The BDS movement has nothing to do with the slaughter of families asleep on the floor with children in refugee centers in Gaza at a UN sponsored school and refugee camp (in spite of 17 warnings from the UN secretary of operations in Gaza), no it's because they are Jews. Right......got it...

...nor does it have anything to do with a 13 year old girl whose throat was cut by an animal as she slept - http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/israeli-military-palestinian-suspected-terrorist-fatally-stabbed-teen-bedroom-n601541

also an American citizen one of, I believe, 7 killed by Palestinian terrorists in Israel this year in addition to dozens of Israelis knifed or killed. Not that it matters - a person is a person. The only way to have peace is to stop shooting pipe bomb rockets from populated areas, stop using the steel and concrete slated for schools to build tunnels and stop slaughtering innocents. Got it?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

joiner,

What don't you understand about Zionism?

There won't be any peace until there is justice. Which means getting the hell out of lands that does not belong to them.

And I noticed you completely ignored my question in post #56.

rs allen
Quote rs allen:

There won't be any peace until there is justice. Which means getting the hell out of lands that does not belong to them.

Exactly. Nothing else needs to be said. Thanks, rs allen.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2
Quote rs allen:

joiner,

What don't you understand about Zionism?

And I noticed you completely ignored my question in post #56.

Nope, I don't see any contradictions at all. What I understand about the area is what the Quran and the Bible says: It belongs to the Jews.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

So you support Trump's plan to kill innocent children and families too? Those kids Israel kills regularly didn't make any pipe bombs. They have seen so many of their friends blown up and burned alive they might have a bit of resentment.

The same right Israel claims to have every time it slaughters children if offered to Palestinians would mean they are justified in launching rockets and arming suicide bombers to attack Israel. The entire international community except US/Israel says it is a war crime. BiBi says the actions will continue. I think he needs to hit the 100:1 kill ratio before he'll stop. Right now it's 1500 vs 53, 50 of whom were IDF. So another 3,500 deaths should be finished before the election in nov. The US and Israel have determined a 100:1 kill ratio is a military win. Vietnam was 100:1*, and thus a win. Plus USA controlled 80% of the battlefield sites, another win.

*58,000 dead American draftees vs 6,000,000 dead Laotians, Cambodians, and Vietnamese. Over 10,000 of whom were South Vietnamese tortured and killed under a CIA program to pacify the local civilians.

Knessat had opponents stating the truth when they called some likud leaders fascists. A war corespondent interrupted his tv broadcast to say he wants his kids to move out of Israel, and what it has become. Like Animal Farm, the chosen people have become the more equal, and thus the nazis they suffered from horrendously. btw, a lot of the Bolsheviks were Jews and Animal Farm is very apropos. That's also why Harvard students answered a fox stunt question about "who has endangered the world the most, Isis or America?" America was their answer by about 90%. Aligning with murdering fascists like Israel is not unusual for the USA. Suharto, Mogabi, Husein and more were all US puppets. This time the US is the puppet and Israel has it's hand up uncle sam's ass and is pulling his mouth strings.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

My my you all do go on and on. What is it you plan to do with all the people who live in the current state of Israel, please?

Helen Willis

Ooh ooh, do I get a gold star if I get the right answer?

rs allen

reply #61

So you consider what amounts to little more than a camp fire story that's over 2 millenium twice told tales as deeded rights?

Hello, hello! Is there a doctor in the house?!!

rs allen

Nope, just pointing out the hypocrisy of those who praise their lord (alluha akbar) while slitting the throat of a sleeping child while the book they hold up as holy clearly says that it is the Jewish homeland.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Jews and Arabs got along just fine for 1000s of years until 1948 and zionist land theft.

(Reply to 66) Was the property rights clause in the bible or koran footmarked and linked to a verifiable source? Which version? what date of print? where is the copyright? and no fucking index. Aesop put his name on his fables, your author didn't even sign his book of fables.

btw, BDS is somewhat successful. Our groceries no longer carry fruit imported from Israel. Our label laws require identifying the sources of produce and no one was buying the Israeli fruit so they quit importing it.

Our foreign secretary ceased exports to Saudi Arabia after she found out about their treatment of women. FGM is frowned on over here, fortunately the USA has no such qualms. Saudis are now being bombed by the same people Saudis taught to hate and to adopt jihadism. They were the birthplace of radical islamist decrees. Can Saudi Arabia say BLOWBACK?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Yeah joiner, I think the text says something more along the lines of (I must paraphrase here) 'those of 'the book' are welcomed into the holy land'. 'Of the book' means if I'm not mistaken Abraham from the Old Testament. It doesn't mean some one gets to claim sole right of Abraham to the exclusion of all others as Israel has and is doing.

And in fact joiner Israel was created just on that premise of exclusion of all others. So don't give me any of that holier than thou BS.

Nothing from helen? And here I thought you'd be interested. Silly me. Oh well, I doubt I'd get a gold star any ways.

But my answer is...........'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.'

rs allen
Quote rs allen:

Yeah joiner, I think the text says something more along the lines of (I must paraphrase here) 'those of 'the book' are welcomed into the holy land'. 'Of the book' means if I'm not mistaken Abraham from the Old Testament. It doesn't mean some one gets to claim sole right of Abraham to the exclusion of all others as Israel has and is doing.

And in fact joiner Israel was created just on that premise of exclusion of all others. So don't give me any of that holier than thou BS.

Nothing from helen? And here I thought you'd be interested. Silly me. Oh well, I doubt I'd get a gold star any ways.

But my answer is...........'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.'

Quote mjolnir:

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsItem/tabid/178/nid/24445/Default.aspx?hp=readmore

"Sheikh Ahmed Aladoan of Amman, a member of Jordan’s well-known Adwan tribe, posted to Facebook this week that there is no such place as “Palestine,” and provided references from the Koran to back up his assertion.

One of the Koranic verses provided states that Allah gave the Holy Land to the sons of Israel until the Day of Judgment (Surah Al-Ma’ida, verse 21), and the other (Surah Al-Shara’a, verse 59) says that the land was bequeathed to the Jews.

The sheikh turned to those who “distort the words of the Koran,” whom he labeled as liars, and questioned where they had even come up with the name “Palestine.” He insisted their claims to the Land of Israel were forfeit because “Allah is the protector of the Children of Israel.”

And if that wasn’t enough, the sheikh went on to turn the tables on the anti-Israel propaganda machine by accusing the Palestinians of killing children, the elderly and women, of using human shields, and of having not an ounce of mercy for even their own children.

The sheikh’s words caused a storm in the Arab media, and were picked up by the Israeli Embassy in Amman.

The Arabic daily Al-Quds Al-Arabi further explained the sheikh’s position, noting that he supports the notion that Jordan is Palestine,..."

This "truth" has been advanced before in the 50's and 60's by Arab leaders. Of course you won't hear it in the MSM today.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2014/03/palestine-national-charter-1964#comment-277301

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

And I could find counter opinions even from among some Hebrew scholars joiner. So if we even were to go there it would only be a moot point about which ancient priest had the best hallucinations some 2500 years ago.

rs allen
Quote rs allen:...And I could find counter opinions even from among some Hebrew scholars ...
Great s'alle, I'd love to see them. Anything specific to Sheikh Ahmed Aladoan, Surah Al-Ma’ida, verse 21, Surah Al-Shara’a, verse 59 or you're just wasting our time.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Sorry chuckles, my answer is already in post #70.

You're the one wasting 'our' time now with inane BS from 2500 years ago that's been subjected to so many translations, oral iterations and insane power grabs over the millenia they're worth less than the paper they're printed on.

rs allen

Typical Lib/Prog, make a statement you are unable to back up. ;-)

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

What? You think this a seminary class? Go to fk'n sunday school if you want that. I made it clear more in not one but two posts I was not going go wandering into your hall of mirrors fantasy dream world.

rs allen
Quote rs allen:

What? You think this a seminary class? Go to fk'n sunday school if you want that. I made it clear more in not one but two posts I was not going go wandering into your hall of mirrors fantasy dream world.

Excellent!

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:
Quote rs allen:

Excellent!

Excellent what, evasion? He made the statement and can't back it up. Besides which he could cite sources critical of the Sheik without delving into religion, if he had any. Lol

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

No joiner, because that's a rabbit hole not worth going down.

Even though that general area has been known in various iterations of Palestine for hundreds of years before Christ was born it matters little to me what anyone wants to call that territory because the facts remain the same, it's a land that's been inhabited by the same peoples for thousands of years before it was ripped away from them and given to some outside others that wanted it.

And you want to know the vision I read in the omens? Israel will become the very same thing those outsider others was trying to escape from, another walled in ghetto. Only instead of being called Warsaw it'll be known is Israel. Because that's what they've done to themselves.

rs allen
Quote rs allen:....the facts remain the same, it's a land that's been inhabited by the same peoples for thousands of years before it was ripped away from them and given to some outside others that wanted it. ...
Quite possibly the most cogent posting you've ever made s' alle: "Though the definite origins of the word "Palestine" have been debated for years and are still not known for sure, the name is believed to be derived from the Egyptian and Hebrew word peleshet. Roughly translated to mean "rolling" or "migratory," the term was used to describe the inhabitants of the land to the northeast ofEgypt - the Philistines. The Philistines were an Aegean people - more closely related to the Greeks and with no connection ethnically, linguisticly or historically with Arabia - who conquered in the 12th Century BCE the Mediterranean coastal plain that is now Israel and Gaza.

A derivitave of the name "Palestine" first appears in Greek literature in the 5th Century BCE when the historian Herodotus called the area "Palaistinē" (Greek - Παλαιστίνη). In the 2nd century CE, the Romanscrushed the revolt of Shimon Bar Kokhba (132 CE), during which Jerusalem and Judea were regained and the area of Judea was renamed Palaestina in an attempt to minimize Jewish identification with the land of Israel.

Under the Ottoman Empire (1517-1917), the term Palestine was used as a general term to describe the land south of Syria; it was not an official designation. In fact, many Ottomans and Arabs who lived in Palestine during this time period referred to the area as "Southern Syria" and not as "Palestine."

After World War I, the name "Palestine" was applied to the territory that was placed under British Mandate; this area included not only present-day Israel but also present-day Jordan.

Leading up to Israel's independence in 1948, it was common for the international press to label Jews, not Arabs, living in the mandate as Palestinians. It was not until years after Israeli independence that the Arabs living in the West Bank and Gaza Strip were called Palestinians. In fact, Arabs cannot even correctly pronounce the word Palestine in their native tongue, referring to area rather as“Filastin.”

The word Palestine or Filastin does not appear in the Koran. The term peleshet appears in the Jewish Tanakhno fewer than 250 times."

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

If we just gave Florida to the European Jewish as their new own home land we could of keep this from happening and the bush presidency!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Zionist Israeli Girl Debates Jewish Professor Dr. Norman Finkelstein.

Karen Armstrong: How Religious Movements Prolong the Arab-Israeli Conflict

Zenzoe
Quote Zenzoe:

Zionist Israeli Girl Debates Jewish Professor Dr. Norman Finkelstein.

Karen Armstrong: How Religious Movements Prolong the Arab-Israeli Conflict

Yup its also why left behind books make so much money and are turn into movies horrifically written and sub par acting talent and graphics! I also think its use to keep christians ignoring climate change issues!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/12/4-in10-american-adults-w...

So if one forth of this country thinks jesus wi!l get Scotty to beam the into heaven and climate change is part of gods punishment for evil people which is the left behind arguement and to get that magic ticket you must blindly suport Israel it kind of makes sense of things!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

The here and now is just a queue, and boy oh boy, behind door #2 will be so exciting we can hardly wait. "Uh, your kid's drowning" "That's god's will, I'll see him soon anyhow, rapture is coming"

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Orthodox Jews hate women too

Midcentury 25% will be fundamentalist nutters

Haredi population in USA in Israel they don't work, but procreate like rabbits. Women in photos or billboards is forbidden, lest they be seen as whores. Women are whores from the start, like christian original sin. The whores have to prove they are modest by being subservient, or just outright abused. This is some sick stuff.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

How To Bring Back A Middle Class

Thom plus logo From the 1930s to the Reagan Revolution, America grew the largest and most robust middle class in history. Along with strong unions, the main driver of that was that people earning more than about $10 million in today's money confronted a top tax rate of 91% until the 60s, and 67% until Reagan came into office.