To All Neo-Cons: Orlando Was Terrorism, Not "Islamic" Terrorism

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

59 posts / 0 new

Comments

I'm going reserve judgement until more facts come in, but thus far I would say that although it isn't a "texbook" case of Islamic terrorism, i.e. a random slaughter to send a general message...you can't deny the fact that Islam's views on homosexuality likely was not a factor here. That, and the fact he was raised by a strict Islamic father, who thus far is protrayed as a nut, suggests at least to me, that Islamic beliefs did have something to do with this. But I imagine that happens in strict Christian households, too...a gay person raised in a nutty Christian household having extreme difficulties coming to grips with his/her own homosexualityj. Except generally Christians don't go shooting up nightclubs.

al3's picture
al3

Had the terror data base dinged and flagged his AR-15 purchase attempt while denying it, further coverage would've likely been pursued. It takes 18 to 24 agents to cover a suspect 24 hours a day and there are hundreds (over 900) on the list.

If Google and Amazon know what you're buying, I'm sure the FBI could know what their terror suspects are buying (especially if if tagged with a chip) when a background check includes the terror watch list.

When a suspected terrorist buys an AR-15 and 150 rounds of ammo he is likely going to use it. However, the profit from an AR-15 is worth the 49 lives lost, at least in the eyes of the 54 senators that rejected the background check database update proposed to include terror watch list cross references.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

He was not on the terror watch list.

gumball's picture
gumball

Boy: "I'm a girl!"

Progressive: "Of course you are!"

Terrorist: "I love ISIS & I'm doing this for Allah."

Progressive: "whatever teabagger"

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote Alberto Ceras 2:

[quote=gumball]

The idea that the kind of violence being perpetrated by these extremists can be stopped by restricting access to guns seems unrealistic given the history of such attacks.

Probably not stopped entirely but significantly and realistically...

[quote]

84 Dead by a man driving a truck....

gumball's picture
gumball
Quote gumball:

84 Dead by a man driving a truck....

At least we can take some solace in the fact that the drivers auto insurance policy will pay over a $million each to the families of those he killed.

jestsayin's picture
jestsayin

I guess I struggle to understand where my fellow liberals are reticent to allow the word "Islamic" to be associated with this murderer? Not only was he a practitioner of Islam, he publicly announced that what he was doing was for his god group. To dismiss his religious affiliation based upon the diagnosis of mental illness, after the fact, is a stretch. Lunacy and piety often look alike, I guess, until the triggers start getting squeezed.

Strange that righteous murder is automatically considered to be a perversion of religion when clearly many religions condone violence. Like in Islam, even in the simple condemnations to Hell of certain groups, calling them " people of the fire", is enough to make their lives valueless to those with just a minimum of creative spiritual lust.

The biggest proof of the Islamic connection is historical, though. Don't get me wrong, colonial Europe did a number on the middle east and that sucks. However, the cultural demand to have every aspect of life be a function of your faith is incompatible with modern politics. The colonists were ripping off people who were not truly coalesced into a nation. That's because you can't have democracy if you don't have freedom of speech and Islam is notoriously touchy about free speech, the prime example being a certain cartoon that made the Muslim world go ape shit. Even in the most flashy and modern muslim places, like the UAE, saying the wrong thing can get you in BIG trouble.

The liberal in me weeps for all that has been lost, in lives, intellect and dignity, but even if the West is complicit in the failure of the middle east, the failure is still theirs. We didn't invent the Suni/ Shia divide, for instance. We don't make them go crazy over a cartoon. We don't force them to choose theocracy. That's on them.

This is a complex subject and there's plenty of blame to go around. I don't see the problem with calling this what it is, though. Violence doesn't have to be sanctioned by the majority of the faithful to be called religious in nature and I'm tired of hearing people tell me the connection between certain brands of faith and murder are merely coincidental . Faith isn't put to a vote, it's whatever the individual murderer believes.

If I call myself an atheist and do a great deed of charity, would you call me a closet Muslim? Of course not. Let's trust the maniacs when they say why they are killing, just as we trust their inspiration for charity. Both are there in the same book.

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED
Quote gumball:

Terrorists armed with box cutters killed 3,996 and 6,000 wounded. 3 dead and 264 wounded by pressure cookers in Boston. 32 died and 300 wounded in the Brussels bombing. In 2010 a would be bomber was caught car full of explosives in Times Square, how many would have died there?

How many would have died in such a crowded night club if explosives were used?

The idea that the kind of violence being perpetrated by these extremists can be stopped by restricting access to guns seems unrealistic given the history of such attacks.

. How many died with explosives during the Marathon!! More than likely less people would of died unless he used enough to take down the building!! If your worried about explosives you should want more regularly agents with regards to fertiliser plants!!!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

What Do Democrats Really Want?

Thom plus logo Thomas Friedman, the confused billionaire, told us decades ago that "free trade" is what made the Lexus a successful product when, in fact, it was decades of Japanese government subsidies and explicit tariffs that did so.