The Death Tax

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

13 posts / 0 new

Can we start being as smart as the think tanks in this country and start using lang to counter the pure bull out there. The Death tax is in reality the trust fund tax it's purpose is simple to reduce the chance of long-term noble class taking power by bloodlines over multigenerational periods. This tax protects the freedom of the US over large time scales it's about time this progressive truth is retold to the American people. We must start calling this only the trust fund tax!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Comments

Pro choice

Islamophobic

Homophobic

women's health

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote stwo:

Pro choice

Islamophobic

Homophobic

women's health

Do u honestly think people who are small minded understand phobic or those two have an effect? The other two r good examples but u do grasp DMC have wanted a way Obama himself asked historians how he change the debate on the Death tax. I posted this about call it the trust fund tax two years ago on YouTube allot no traction. So I've posted it here. Your oddly very critical of me which is fine. But do u not feel progressives calling the estate tax the trust fund tax would not be a good thing? Or do u just wish to point out issues with my style of writing and my overgeneralization of an issue??

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

A glance at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_tax_in_the_United_States might improve the quality of the discussion.

Changing the name would accomplish nothing of substance. This is a matter that cries out for broad and substantive change.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2
Quote Alberto Ceras 2:

A glance at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_tax_in_the_United_States might improve the quality of the discussion.

Changing the name would accomplish nothing of substance. This is a matter that cries out for broad and substantive change.

Republicans call the estate tax the Death tax and get them freaking out over a tax that doesn't apply to them. Branding does matter in our culture rebranding the branded by Republican the Death tax. The trust fund tax can cause people to think about this taxdifferently than the fox news narrative of the estate tax. Sorry it being known as the Death tax and a issue at all proves how branding effects low info voters

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer
Quote Toddedyer: Your oddly very critical of me...

I haven't criticized you and you're style of riting is fien.

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote stwo:
Quote Toddedyer: Your oddly very critical of me...

I haven't criticized you and you're style of riting is fien.

auto correct plus dyslexia not a good combination

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer
Quote Toddedyer:

Republicans call the estate tax the Death tax and get them freaking out over a tax that doesn't apply to them. Branding does matter in our culture rebranding the branded by Republican the Death tax. The trust fund tax can cause people to think about this taxdifferently than the fox news narrative of the estate tax. Sorry it being known as the Death tax and a issue at all proves how branding effects low info voters

Yes, after thinking more about your idea I understand and, for what it's worth, I agree with you. I hope you get the support for it that it deserves.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2
Quote Alberto Ceras 2:
Quote Toddedyer:

Yes, after thinking more about your idea I understand and, for what it's worth, I agree with you. I hope you get the support for it that it deserves.

well maybe someone from the show might read this or others might start using it.

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer
Quote Toddedyer:

Quote Alberto Ceras 2:
Quote Toddedyer:

well maybe someone from the show might read this or others might start using it.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Thom make this point years ago. This issue doesn't come up much and that's why you probably haven't heard him make it.

Gilbert's picture
Gilbert

But has anyone tried to rebrand it the trust fund tax if you listen to fox news they rant about the death tax all the time

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer
Quote Toddedyer:

But has anyone tried to rebrand it the trust fund tax if you listen to fox news they rant about the death tax all the time

I'm not sure. It's a good idea. I prefer calling it out for what it is. When someone calls it the death tax. Ask them what are they talking about. Then when they are explaining, cut them off and say, oh you mean the estate tax. I guess the millions spent on conservative think tanks does fool some people. Or something along those lines.

Gilbert's picture
Gilbert
Quote Gilbert:
Quote Toddedyer:

I'm not sure. It's a good idea. I prefer calling it out for what it is. When someone calls it the death tax. Ask them what are they talking about. Then when they are explaining, cut them off and say, oh you mean the estate tax. I guess the millions spent on conservative think tanks does fool some people. Or something along those lines.

Yet if you went back to the 1930s estate in the common usage was equated to very wealthy. Langue changes estate doesn't have the verbal power it had during the depression. Honestly i have debated it on youtube threads and called it the estate tax it was always ignored. Trust fund kid is a strong mental picture, paris hilton would be aposter child for that imagery. Trust fund for conservatives i grew up as one means spoiled intitled brats...!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Why Hasn't Congress Taken War Powers Away From Trump?

Thom plus logo Donald Trump's pathetic betrayal of our Kurdish allies in northern Syria highlights the importance of Congress taking seriously it's constitutional obligation to define and authorize war.