Change Doesn't Come Without Violence

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

18 posts / 0 new

I can't think of a single moment in history when big social change was brought by peaceful, passive resistance. Not one.

When this topic comes up, many Americans will say that being peaceful is the only way to be heard. Then the crowds leave as those same people head back to their low-paying jobs while they struggle to put food on their table, a roof over their heads, and clothes on their back.

Then another opportunity arises for them to "be a part of change" by waving banners, chanting catchy phrases, and getting caught up in the majestic protests and marches that have now become a daily occurrence.

But all the while, the very thing they protest continues and more liberties are lost in the process, because the powers-that-be think tightening the noose more will get us to chill out.

All throughout history, these protests come and go. Protesting racial problems start peacefully enough. Protesting authoritarian problems start peacefully enough. The fight for independence starts peacefully enough, but eventually....inevitably... a spark ignites the fuel and the explosion is triggered.

MLK is often cited when speaking of the importance of being non-violent. He had a dream. . . then he was murdered. Gandhi is also cited as the reason we should be non-violent. "Civil Disobedience" they shout as they are pepper-sprayed and tear-gassed while handcuffed to each other in a circle, unable to defend themselves due to their own tactic.

Then we had Watts. Then they had WWII and the need to trim British fat by letting colonies go. Watts was violent... very violent. WWII was violent, but was the catalyst with which the trimming began.

Not MLK. Not Gandhi. Is it important to start peacefully? Absolutely. In fact, I believe it's necessary to provide context to the inevitable violence that is sure to ensue. But the fact remains: change doesn't come until violent insurrection or violent measures happen.

The government doesn't care about you... The government doesn't care about me... The government cares about itself - it cares about maintaining its importance... its power. The government spews the propaganda that non-violent protests is the only way they'll listen, even though they continue doing the things millions protest against.

The MSM spews the rhetoric of peaceful resistance, all while covering up the countless murders perpetrated by the government, because as we see, it's okay for the government to be violent against us - we just aren't allowed to be violent against it.

The time has come to acknowledge that our country will not change without violent encounters with the darkest parts of human nature. It is an unfortunate truth that no one ever wants to talk about, but it is the truth.

We tell ourselves it's not true because the consequences of the violence are horrible, horrific, and shameful. But the outcome is the goal. The people of the US are not being listened to. We aren't being taken seriously. Our constant pleas for change while we obey the laws our government has placed on us are ignored.

I hate to be the person to say this, because I have always called for peaceful protesting and a peaceful redress of grievances, but at some point it's time to say that's not working, and when that time comes, the best thing to do is acknowledge that it has gotten to that point and make sure the very people who are terrorizing us know that we're not going to sit back and let ourselves be enslaved anymore.

Some times the time to fight comes and you must ask yourself - are you ready and willing to fight for the country you want? Or will you just cower and obey?

Only you can answer that question.

Op Ed Daily's picture
Op Ed Daily

Comments

Change is not violence or Peace they take form of mass movements! Change from the powerful takes the mob historically when the vast majority on mass take to the streets the powers that be always give in just as much as they need too! You must be a focused single issue large scale movement to get change! You must put political pressure on the in power and demand far more than what you will expect so you get what your working towards!

Peaceful works out better but it depends on mass media exposure!

Violence tends to lead to bloody revolution and more often than not worse authoritarian or fascist states than look the French Revolution lead to Napoleonic wars millions effected and Europe in ruin! The germans turned into nazi with there violence, the russian turned into the ussr both these murdered minority groups by the hundreds of thosands!

Violence breeds violence and if you too stupid to not read threw MLk arguements of why it must be peaceful your a lost cause! Have fun!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

MLK wasn't any kind of authoritative figure when it came to history, because if he was, he wouldn't have been singing the tune he was singing.

History shows that people who stand in front of a gun get shot, and if you're behind the person that got shot and you choose to stand in front of that same gun, then you deserve to be shot.

And if you aren't intelligent enough to make a comment without attacking someone and calling them names, then maybe you'd be more comfortable hanging out on the Fox forums.

Op Ed Daily's picture
Op Ed Daily
Quote Op Ed Daily:

MLK wasn't any kind of authoritative figure when it came to history, because if he was, he wouldn't have been singing the tune he was singing.

History shows that people who stand in front of a gun get shot, and if you're behind the person that got shot and you choose to stand in front of that same gun, then you deserve to be shot.

And if you aren't intelligent enough to make a comment without attacking someone and calling them names, then maybe you'd be more comfortable hanging out on the Fox forums.

of course mlk wasn't authoritarian that was the bloody point! Violence lead to more of the same! You have any two groups who start fighting each side just out does the other! Thats what history teaches! The black vet who shot cops set back the movement of black lives matter! The slave revolts in the south did end slavery! It was books and former slaves going telling their stories! Its videos like the woman and he six year old that will push public views! The gun man totally over shadows that woman and feeds into fox news racist crap!

If you want another bloody civil war in this country preach your eye for an eye crap which only leads to blindness! You will turn this country into Israel and Palestine!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

A call for violence is just wrong and will only result in a "tit for tat" escalation.

MLK, leader of the Civil Rights Movement using civil disobedience got the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1968 and the Voting Rights Act passed.

The Anti-War movement which MLK was part of ended the war in Vietman,started nuclear arms talks,etc.

Of cource the Movements in the 60s' and 70s' dwarfed anything today (BLM or OWS),but you have to start somewhere.

Picking up a AK-47 is just what they want you to do.

P.S. Ghandi led India to Independence from the British Empire.

citizen1956's picture
citizen1956

The current protests are relatively small and will die out quickly once the cameras leave and the media is directed towards another story. In this country of 280,000,000 adults, how many people actually want major changes, so much so that they are willing to rock the boat, risk what they have, take to the streets, etc... Judging from the news I've been watching, a "big protest", according to the media, is maybe 300-400 protestors, a few dozen members of the media, and cops getting paid overtime.

The Chicago news last night led with a story about a protest in downtown Chicago. They showed a wide-angle shot of about 50 people on the street, trying to provoke a confrontation with police and blocking traffic. For the other 3,000,000 people in this city, it was a normal Saturday night.

The bar for something to be considered a "movement" by Progressives is pretty low.

ChicagoMatt

Today's "liberal" or "progressive" idea of revolution is a vote for the Lesser of Two Evils - Hillary.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2

To those claiming MLK brought the Civil Rights movement - that is purely false.

There are certain requirements prior to violent action that are necessary in order for the violence to bring positive change:

1) Peaceful resistance for years prior to the violence.

2) Multiple attempts to right a wrong or change policy or beg for compromise.

The citation of MLK ignores the fact that the Civil Rights movement was anything but peaceful, because it wasn't. Many MLK supporters armed themselves and carried out 24-hour patrols around churches and neighborhoods. They even fired upon attackers on a regular basis in order to defend their property.

Multiple protesters were shot and killed by mobs and by police. Is that not violence? Of course it is. Violence is necessary.

As for Gandhi - he didn't do anything to liberate India. Britain decided to relinquish its hold on all of its non-communist colonies because it was flat broke and finally realized, after WWII, that their Empire was unsustainable.

Even after granting independence, Gandhi still didn't get what he wanted, because India was split in two.

And there were bouts of violence throughout India also, which were also necessary to drive home their view.

You cannot stand in front of a weapon, die, and hope everyone saw it and felt bad about it enough to get off their lazy, overworked ass and do something about it. People don't care, especially today.

The only way for coverage to be had nowadays is when violence happens. Therefore it is necessary and always has been.

Humans are a warring species. We use our ability to tactically overthrow others to our advantage and to the victor goes the spoils. There are so many of us that if we're able to stop dividing ourselves (another tool of the govt), the government can do nothing to stop us.

I've been a 'peaceful protest' advocate since I was young - in college, actually. But life, my continued research into history, and a bit of common sense has shown me that in order to put our government back into the hands of the people, we'll have to take it, because they aren't giving it up and they don't care.

Op Ed Daily's picture
Op Ed Daily
Quote Alberto Ceras 2:

Today's "liberal" or "progressive" idea of revolution is a vote for the Lesser of Two Evils - Hillary.

LOL. I nearly pissed myself.

Hillary will be worse than any President we've ever had. She cares about one person, and that's herself. In order to prop herself up, she'll prop those that support her up, and the ones that pump the money into her bank account are the very people oppressing us as a people.

She loves war, she loves death, she will bring us to war with Russia, which will be the end of the US because after 2, nearly 3 decades of perpetual war and imperialism, we are hated around the globe and most countries are salivating at the chance to take pot shots at us - and that includes allies.

But, Trump will drag this country's name through the mud, bring open racism back to the table, and likely destroy our nation's economy. But he doesn't seem to be as war hungry as Clinton, and for me, he's the lesser of two evils. And I'm as liberal as they come. I'm a Bernie supporter and it sickens me to see the choice we'll have in candidates.

But your comment made me laugh, so thank you. :)

Op Ed Daily's picture
Op Ed Daily

It was the media, its always the power of the press that is the key factor with the reduction of violence. It also takes the form of books and media! Right now you have many issue with the media though its corporate owned rating driven and much of there owners are racist or business that buy adds on the network are racist so you have much of this fully ignored.

You have those in power who want the poor divided into factions! It the old roman way of dominance of divide the people and keep the mob fighting itself.

You have the first black president not really fully addressing this at all. I assume he's being pragmatic and fear starting a literal race war.

We had an increase militarization of the police since 911 though the real abuses start with the war on drugs started by nixon!

But in what way is violence the answer? A man going out shooting random cops who aren't the ones who did murder the black men who more than like caused him to act out in this way solves what? Its not like he went out took the law into his own hands and punished the cops who just got off like some type of dark comic book. He went onto building and murdered random white cops as purely an eye for an eye style justice.

What i would be doing if I were the head of black matters is puting pressure on certain Congressional men and women to do a inquiry! Make it as bombastic as the communist trails of the fifties! Drag the cops in with the relatives of thos killed! Question those who are the ones who allowed nothing to occur to those cops! Make it a bloody circus that not even trumps can detract from!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer
Quote Op Ed Daily:
She loves war, she loves death, she will bring us to war with Russia, which will be the end of the US because after 2, nearly 3 decades of perpetual war and imperialism, we are hated around the globe and most countries are salivating at the chance to take pot shots at us - and that includes allies.

It looks that way to me, too, Op Ed Daily. Obama is doing all he can to make it easier for her. NATO, tne next coalition of the willing. But, unlike Iraq, Russia really does have WMD's and no doubt knows how to use them.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2

A representative government depends on constituents, one with a two party system has constituents who are the elites in the party or actists who are focused on politics and both tend to become the voices of the party! We as a nation have not been political active thus insane people and rich people are seen as the constituents! We been ill informed by a useless media, and policies for most is a football game where ever two or for years you go root for your team over the other!

Until we voters become the constituents and not radicals and the rich our needs will be ignored! And until we focus enough as voter to be informed enough and not let party elite pick who runs, until we are active enough to not treat politics like a sports event nothing will actual change!

We get the goverment we work towards and those working the hardest in politics are people like the koch brothers and those they hire! The goverment doesn't care because we as a nation haven't cared enough! We put up with this slow regression just like they did after teddy which lead to that crash! We more than likely really wont wake up until most of us are jobless and broke in another depression! We go to the streets not windows and scream I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

The saying is speak softly and carry a big stick not carry a rifle and murder cops!

The truth is the only thing people pay attention too on mass is horrific drama or a circus! So you can wait until someone else is shot and film it or go out buy a big tent and put on your show and take this country back!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Thom is big into Strauss-Howe generational theory and we are in one of their upheaval cycles right now. And you can put on your tin foil hat if you want but another theory is based on grounded science including NASA looking into it and that is the vibrational effect that solar events and the earth's own magnet field have on the minds of the populace. At periods when that frequency runs high there has been upheaval in history.

Then we just simply have the time run out on the bailing wire fix they tried for the economy back in 2008. Many of us knew that wouldn't really solve the problem and at some time the chickens would come home to roost. And that I believe is about to happen.

Depending on how it happens that could bring social upheaval or maybe folks just saying "what just happened?" Life would get simpler especially if the very rich who try to control things get wiped out. After all, we really need to wipe the blackboard and start over again. Let's just hope that eraser doesn't come in the form of a nuclear war.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote captbebops:

Thom is big into Strauss-Howe generational theory and we are in one of their upheaval cycles right now. And you can put on your tin foil hat if you want but another theory is based on grounded science including NASA looking into it and that is the vibrational effect that solar events and the earth's own magnet field have on the minds of the populace. At periods when that frequency runs high there has been upheaval in history.

Then we just simply have the time run out on the bailing wire fix they tried for the economy back in 2008. Many of us knew that wouldn't really solve the problem and at some time the chickens would come home to roost. And that I believe is about to happen.

Depending on how it happens that could bring social upheaval or maybe folks just saying "what just happened?" Life would get simpler especially if the very rich who try to control things get wiped out. After all, we really need to wipe the blackboard and start over again. Let's just hope that eraser doesn't come in the form of a nuclear war.

I think its where the rules of three comes from! Its where you get quotes like when the last person to fight in the last great war dies is when the next great war starts! So you have the hard time generation their kids live in the good times generation the grand kids live in the crazy times roaring twenty party that !eads to crashes! Than the great grand kids pick up the pieces are the hard time generation! You just see this freakish one two three than repeat pattern all the time! I don't believe it's sun spots i just think we are stupid and try the same crap over and over! Which just realize we as a society have always and will always meet Einstein's definition of crazy! If that is that one guys theory which is we are silly and stupid apes that never true learn as a culture from our mistakes! I guess call me a believer however if so that guy totally riped off the roman fortuna and wheel of time! Which its the rule of three in western europe or 70 year time in the bible which seven huge with Hebrews!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

I can't remember who, but someone said "they were shooting cops who weren't the ones that killed the black man" - paraphrasing, of course.

That statement suggests that you'd be okay with it having been the cop(s) that recently killed the black men? Or that at least it would be better?

Here's how I view the police: a gang of thieves, armed tax collectors, and thugs. For all purposes, they fit each of those caricatures perfectly. They tend to all wear the same colors, they steal from people using civil asset forfeiture, and they go around collecting taxes under threat of murder (and the threat is increasing each year).

This country has been heading this direction for the last 2 or 3 decades. Too many failed attempts at reform. Too many stolen elections. It is clear the government has positioned itself in such a way that it's like a tick - its head is embedded under the skin and the only way to get rid of it is to either kill it or pull it out by force.

I certainly hope it doesn't come to a full-on revolt, because race relations are so dire that it would likely end up becoming a civil war instead of a revolution. But we've passed the point of no return. They are not going to relinquish power back to the people without force.

In fact, they've already brought in UN enforcers to police the citizens of this nation: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/launch-strong-cities-network-strengthen-community-resilience-against-violent-extremism

The reason for this is clear - they know that many police and a lot of military won't get behind such violent response to dissent, so they're calling in the upcoming NWO police to get their foot in the door of the US.

I can see no other option at this point. If there is one, I'd love to hear it.

Op Ed Daily's picture
Op Ed Daily
Quote Op Ed Daily:

I can't remember who, but someone said "they were shooting cops who weren't the ones that killed the black man" - paraphrasing, of course.

That statement suggests that you'd be okay with it having been the cop(s) that recently killed the black men? Or that at least it would be better?

I can see no other option at this point. If there is one, I'd love to hear it.

Yes i read allot of comic books as a kid and i attempted before to write a book about a vet who fought in the war and came back and decides his countries true enemies are horrible people actually in the us! So he abducted first a industrial tycoon who is responsible for his little brother dying of Cancer and forces him too give up millions to send to his victiums and my anti hero than kills the man after telling him about how wonderful his little brother was and how much he suffered! But didn't feel i was written it well enough so i didn't finish the next three parts! Which would of been other men doing wrong! I was next going to have him hunt down a wallstreet banker! So yes i would better understand the act if it was a person who got away because i was attempting to write a book about that!

What is the true solution I don't know learn from history the irish had this exact problem!

You know how they solved it???? The became all the bloody cops in new york, Chicago, philly! Freaking learn from history!!!!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Seriously guy that is exactly how and why the irish became cops! They could win, they we being beating to death all over the fing country! So they took over the people opressing them! Seriously some were quoted that if you cannot beat them join them! Become the cops and you cannot be oppressed by them!!! The pay suck the hours suck just like back than but you can take over and become the majority of the cops!!!! Do what the irish did learn from history stop being an idiot calling for armed violence!!!!

If you do not know how hated and looked down apon the irish were at this time you dont know history! This country as a whole was more racist towards the irish Catholics in them1800 than they are to blacks today! Europeans didn't view them as white race, they we a Mongoloid one of thieves and murders above Africans only in liberal circles! Yet the Irish took over and became the police force to the point it a sterotype in cities today!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Well mayor Giuliani might be looking to get in with the trump wave!!! Its seems like we are litterally back in the same world of the 60! Or just regan america! Sheesh!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/rudy-giuliani-black-kids-99-cha...

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Impeachment: The Difference Between Nixon & Trump

Thom plus logo There is a very simple reason why some Republicans participated in the impeachment proceedings against Richard Nixon, but none have so far broken ranks against Trump. That reason is the US Supreme Court.