It's not enough just to call Trump an authoritarian

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

2 posts / 0 new

You need to paint a picture as to the consequences of having an authoritarian holding the office of the presidency. Listening to your radio program today, I understood what you meant and the dangers of authoritarianism, but I'm afraid the label may have just 'gone in one ear and out the other' for too many of your listeners.

With Trump we are facing a perfect storm of egomania, rice paper thin skin and authoritarianism. With the egomania, I believe the term holds not just in its common language sense, but also from a mental health perspective as well. By that I mean he suffers from a form of mania, where the whole world for him revolves around his ego. He will therefore say or do whatever is necessary to inflate, protect and feed that ego in the same way that a drug addict or gambling addict will have a mindset of only caring about one thing with disregard of every other aspect of the rest of their lives -- feeding that addiction.

Right now Trump is merely saying whatever he thinks he needs to say to win the popularity contest that will get him what his ego desires -- the Presidency. But once he is in office, that is when the danger begins where he could well abuse the powers of that post to further his ego addiction. I'm envisioning a nightmare scenario where he will surround himself with yes men and then start ordering the arrest of any and all that pose as obstacles and dangers to his hypersensitive and ravenous ego.

I think we all need to realize that the office of the presidency and any safeguards to the abuse of power in that position are not mechanical safeguards that will physically prevent the abuse of power. The balance of power and political structure of our system of government is much more delicate and vulnerable than most people realize. Anyone who thinks differently should look to the time immediately after the attempted assassination of Reagan when Alexander Haig illegally assumed control of the powers of the presidency and did so successfully, albeit for a short period of time. As short as the Haig presidency was, it should have been immediately stopped as soon as he tried to start it -- but it wasn't.

What the Haig example shows is once someone assumes power and start to abuse that power, it requires regular humans to step up and stop that abuse even if there are already people in an administration that are not loyal to that person abusing their power. Now, imagine someone like Trump who has surrounded himself with people that will always agree with him and he starts ordering the arrest of members of the press and and congress that pose a threat to his ego. What or who is going to stop him once those orders get into the hands of law enforcement officers whose careers are built on always, without question, following orders?

Glen Wallace's picture
Glen Wallace

Comments

I don't think trump is much of an ideology! Void of his racism which is scary more so because of hate groups! I honesty see him selling of positions in his admin! He is more than likely going to be less hands on than regan! Its not yes men but corruption worse than dick cheny haliburton! Neo cons trying to start more wars in his admin we need to worry about!!! Little Hands trump americas Caligula lmao will more than likely trigger the crash! waste trillions giving kick backs to companies who will expand out trump corp! This is him fleecing this country for self gain!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

The Secret On TrumpCare Is Now Out

The Senate Republican healthcare bill is secret no more.

There's just one problem - it's not really a healthcare bill.

Don't let Mitch McConnell fool you.

Contrary to what you might have heard - Senate Republicans DID NOT unveil a healthcare bill yesterday.

They unveiled a tax cut for the rich DISGUISED as a healthcare bill.