Monsanto DEMOCRATS Attempt to Kill Vermont's GMO Labeling Law

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

Do You Know Who Your Monsanto Senators Are? They're Also Your "Progressive" Senators.

Which brings me to the point of this piece. You can't defeat Monsanto and the rest of the corporate food industry, with its insistence on basing all food possible on poison such as "modified food starch," a product that fattens its consumers slowly while it fattens the wallets of its producers much more quickly — you can't defeat Monsanto if you don't know who's propping them up.

The list of Your Monsanto Senators includes these "liberals" and "progressives":

Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) — 202-224-5653
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) — 202-224-3841
Al Franken (D-MN) — 202-224-5641
Tim Kaine (D-VA) — 202-224-4024
Amy Klobushar (D-MN) — 202-224-3244
Jean Shaheen (D-NH) — 202-224-2841
Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) — 202-224-4822

plus:

Sherrod Brown (D-OH) — 202-224-2315

who declined to vote No by declining to vote (but see below).

These senators were part of the Yes vote on cloture for the bill. Cloture, the motion to close debate, passed 65-32. Since cloture required 60 votes, six No votes from the list above would have killed the bill in the Senate.

Remember these names when you assemble up your "progressive heroes" list. They should not be on it.

They're on another list, though. The Christmas list at Monsanto. Doesn't help us much when we're fattening up on GMO modified corn starch at the McDonalds and Burger King trough, but it does provide the money that keeps them in power. So I guess there's that.

They've Done This Before, Your Monsanto Senators

This isn't the first time Your Monsanto Senators have killed GMO labeling from their high seats in the Senate. There was another instance in 2012. This Senate amendment attempted to "permit States to require that any
food, beverage, or other edible product offered for sale have a label on
indicating that the food, beverage, or other edible product contains a
genetically engineered ingredient (my emphasis)." In other words, it wouldn't have mandated GMO labeling; it would allow states to do as they choose with respect to GMO labeling.

The amendment failed 26-73. Among the No (pro-Monsanto) votes were these "progressive" senators:

Al Franken (D-MN) — 202-224-5641
Sherrod Brown (D-OH) — 202-224-2315
Amy Klobushar (D-MN) — 202-224-3244
Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) — 202-224-4822
Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) — 202-224-4451
Dick Durbin (D-IL) — 202-224-2152
Tom Harkin (D-IA) — retired

Their No wasn't even needed, given the margin, so I guess their Yes was a proof of loyalty.

Do you feel like telling these senators what you think of their love of Monsanto, ahead of the "unity festival" at the Democratic Convention in Philadelphia? The DC office phone numbers are above.

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/gaius-publius/68215/monsanto-democrats-attempt-to-kill-vermonts-gmo-labeling-law

NetWiz69's picture
NetWiz69

Comments

Ok but the fact this will all be on bar codes?!? The easy fix is create an app that will scan bar codes for your phone!!! It might be easier than trying to read the list of thirty ingredients on the back!! which is where gmo would be found in the smallest type they could use!!

Find a guy who is really good at doing computer algorithms figure out a good name!! sell it for like fifty cents.

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Placing three letters on food labels is easy, "GMO". That's pertinent information. We don't need some ambiguous computer scan code.

Kpax's picture
Kpax
Quote Kpax:

Placing three letters on food labels is easy, "GMO". That's pertinent information. We don't need some ambiguous computer scan code.

Yes but Monsanto is rich with lobbyists!!! So we will need a bar-code scanner app!!!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Scanner code BS is just a stall tactic. People won't wait, after a scan, more than 60 seconds, and I'm being generous, to get vague information that takes them to different sources online to get the facts they need to make an informed decision. Scans are a deterrent.

Kpax's picture
Kpax
Quote Kpax:

Scanner code BS is just a stall tactic. People won't wait, after a scan, more than 60 seconds, and I'm being generous, to get vague information that takes them to different sources online to get the facts they need to make an informed decision. Scans are a deterrent.

I think you could do it on a phone and make it as easy as reading the back!! Yes a GMO in large letters would be best!!! But technology actually allows us a simple way to fight back if some makes an app!!

Monsanto will win this fight!! So make it a simple point click app and it just says gmo in red letters! gmo free in green letters!! this is the only way to beat them until we get money out of politics!!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

There's a 1 in 20 Chance of the Apocalypse. Shouldn't We Act Now?

A new study published in Science argues that we as a civilization need to move "rapidly" -- as in almost immediately -- towards a carbon emissions free future if we are to have any chance of holding off runaway global warming: