WHY I AM ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT AT PATREON?

Your support of the program is invaluable. Producing the Thom Hartmann Program is a labor of love for the team, but doesn't come without cost. We supply the program to non-profit, community and volunteer radio and cable stations across the US. However, this isn't cost-free and being a supporter through Patreon means you can help us to meet some of the bills, to allow us to continue free supply to the non-profit sector.

As a way of saying thank you, we would like to give you something back for your support at various levels. Every weekday, the live Thom Hartmann Program three hour program is recorded exclusively for Patreon supporters. Unedited, the full three-hour video will be right here on the Patreon page, within a couple of hours of the end of the live program. And we're also providing extra videos exclusive to sponsors.
Sponsor Special: How to Stop Your Food From Killing You. The American diet is now killing more people than high blood pressure and smoking

Become a Thom Supporter- Click the Patreon button

Political Deconversion and No Mans Land

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

8 posts / 0 new

From Rod Dreher at the American Conservative: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/political-deconversion-conservatism/

Excerpts:

The first thing to go was my faith in the GOP as the party of competence. Its foreign policy had led America to disaster. The cronyism revealed by Katrina was a further blow. These guys — my guys — were no different, despite the narrative they wanted to believe about themselves and the world. I lost faith in that narrative, especially the Reaganesque foreign policy narrative. I lost faith that the GOP was the party of common sense. Then, after the economic crash, what little faith I had left disappeared. If a catastrophic dose of reality didn’t force the GOP to reconsider its foreign policy and its economic policy, then I wanted nothing to do with a party that preferred comforting lies to the hard truth.

This is what I had come to believe about the Democratic Party years before, and why I left it, and liberalism: that they preferred the Narrative to reality. Now I saw that Republicans were the same.

Had Republicans decided to learn from their mistakes, we probably would not have Trump today.

Unlike Matt, I did not find a home in liberalism. How could I? The Democrats have their own Narrative, and I find it to be wildly implausible too. The Democrats’ insistence that we all have to call humans with penises “women” if they say so, or else be punished by the law, is, to me, the perfect symbol of the ludicrous Democratic narrative. So I have been politically homeless since at least 2008, and expect I will be for the rest of my life.

So why do I still call myself a conservative? Because I am not a progressive, and I mostly reject liberalism (in the sense that both mainstream parties are liberal), though any reader of this blog knows that I have a lot of internal contradictions around this that I need to work out. Basically, I believe in Russell Kirk’s Ten Principles of Conservative Thought. I identify with a strain of rightist thought Philip Blond has called Red Toryism. I don’t see them instantiated in either party. It is fairly silly to call oneself a conservative but to feel no particular affinity for the more conservative of the two parties. Perhaps it’s more accurate to call myself a traditionalist, or a Red Tory, though nobody in America not named Drew Bowling knows what that means.

Coalage1

Comments

Your public identity crisis reads like typical conservative narcissism. The good news is, since identity achievement or diffusion usually takes place in late adolescence/early adulthood, you likely have plenty of time to learn about yourself or to decide what kind of person you want to become.

However, it may help to know that nobody really cares what you think you are and are not. Your behavior will determine what you really are.

Authenticity requires one to be honest with oneself. You know NOT like how conservatives insist on calling zygotes and fetuses children and babies. To me, it's the perfect symbol of the ludicrous Republican narrative. Regardless of what you want to label it, stupid is as stupid does. As far as I am concerned, you can call anyone anything you want, but I and others will judge you on your insights and empathy or lack-there-of.

Since conservatives constantly manipulate labels and language when it fits their greedy power hungry needs, I think you may be more confused than you know. I would advise you to avoid all conservative writings and ramblings. Chances are that's how you lost your way. More poison or more guns will not help you develop empathy and compassion for others, which is the only way to get to know yourself.

Unfortunately, if you keep following the path you seem to be following, the label others may find most appropriate for you is sociopath. That would be bad for everybody.

Chris Gah's picture
Chris Gah

Its funny how two individuals can see the same things so differently, isn't it? I believe the writer of the article might give you the same advice but just substitute liberal/progreesive where you have written conservative.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

By the way, if you were to shoot a pregnant mother in the stomach and kill her unborn child, I dont think they would charge you with killing a zygote.

Coalage1

A 4 week old fetus is the size of a poppy seed, what law is broken if the mom lost a poppy seed? It is not a human it is a multicellular organism aka a zygote. The Christian terrorists attacking Planned Parenthood and killing doctors, nurses, and patients are all right wing prolife. Better to kill doctors than let a poppy seed fail to implant.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote Chris Gah:

Your public identity crisis reads like typical conservative narcissism. The good news is, since identity achievement or diffusion usually takes place in late adolescence/early adulthood, you likely have plenty of time to learn about yourself or to decide what kind of person you want to become.

However, it may help to know that nobody really cares what you think you are and are not. Your behavior will determine what you really are.

Authenticity requires one to be honest with oneself. You know NOT like how conservatives insist on calling zygotes and fetuses children and babies. To me, it's the perfect symbol of the ludicrous Republican narrative. Regardless of what you want to label it, stupid is as stupid does. As far as I am concerned, you can call anyone anything you want, but I and others will judge you on your insights and empathy or lack-there-of.

Since conservatives constantly manipulate labels and language when it fits their greedy power hungry needs, I think you may be more confused than you know. I would advise you to avoid all conservative writings and ramblings. Chances are that's how you lost your way. More poison or more guns will not help you develop empathy and compassion for others, which is the only way to get to know yourself.

Unfortunately, if you keep following the path you seem to be following, the label others may find most appropriate for you is sociopath. That would be bad for everybody.

Outstanding!!!

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Then why can you be convicted of murder in numerous places for killing an unborn child if you also happen to kill the mother? At what point does it go from zygote to a person?

Its obvious you guys need to read more conservative writings and essays, not less. Good luck.

Coalage1

A poppy seed sized cell is not a child, and not an unborn child. btw, neither are your wet dreams, in spite of the Catholic church. Before the pill, spontaneous abortions happened to about 30% of women that often did not know they were pregnant. They were not lives either. Viability is easily determined, even if both mother and child are killed. Some states have set viability at 26 weeks, some at 23 weeks.

TX's new abortion restriction tactics had blowback. Instead of sacrificing a poppy seed cell and early administration from first missed period, moms with 12 week pregnancies seeking termination have increased dramatically (that's second trimester). 12 week fetuses are not zygotes.

12+Week+Old+Fetus Take a look at their fingers, they could flip you off now. "Original sin huh? Well original this motherfuckers" Are the thoughts of a baby deemed fit for hell before it's even born.

hus-news/more-second-trimester-abortions-occurred-under-texas-law-exclusive- Now, we're talking about Texans, like W was Texan. They might not know that missing a period means pregnancy. Or abstinence might not be the best birth control. Mary was abstinent, or at least Joseph bought it, but Mary's parents might not have. Maybe some young lone star lass might convince the neighbors that she has the new messiah in her womb.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

I get it. You believe that unborn children are liabilities, and not assets to be nurtured. Calling them "poppy seeds" or zygotes just dehumanizes the process so that it seems to make it tolerable.

I get it. I really do...I get your reasoning.

Coalage1

No More Presidential Immunity!

Thom plus logo When Richard Nixon committed multiple Felonies, including accepting bribes in cash in the White House, Jerry Ford chose to pardon him.

When Ronald Reagan committed treason in 1980 to get elected, Attorney General Bill Barr shut down the investigation in 1992 with five pardons.