The south has been rising all along

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

10 posts / 0 new

I remember an old white guy in FL, in the 80s, so mad at Yankees, he said the south would rise again. He oozed with hate, even then. The fact is, the civil war didn't change any minds. Just as Nazi's have always been in the shadows...The question is, what's next? To me, there is only one solution, secession. Sure, we could reinstate the Fairness Doctrine and go back to a Constitutional free and open press and wait 50 years but it won't get rid of the 800 lb. Gorilla in the room. The war on our democracy and Constitution will always be there. To me, we've let this coup go on much too long. If we are ever to take back our country, we have to cut out the cancer and isolate it. Like drawing a line from VA to AZ and setting up a jobs and home trade program. Give the people a little time to decide what they are. Constitrutional Progressives or Confederates and make the migration happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Arrgy's picture
Arrgy

Comments

That old white guy from the 80's is probably dead now. The South has changed tremendously over the last 30 years.

What does the fairness doctrine have to do with this?

gumball's picture
gumball

You should read "Dixie Rising" by Applebome. It was published in 1996, so it's a little dated now, but still true. The premise is that the Federal government has been basically buying the support of Southern representatives ever since Reconstruction ended. That's why so many military bases are in the South. And NASA. They were looking for a home for NASA during the height of the Civil Rights Movement. The two things seemed to go well together.

ChicagoMatt

gumball, When Reagan trashed the F/D, it opened the door for Limbaugh, Fox etc. to dumb down generations while launching a war on our Constitution and democracy. You had to ask?

Arrgy's picture
Arrgy

Then funny or ironic thing is the South is a bunch of moochers they are fully subsidise by blue states! Progressive economic s is the reason why those states are not far worse today! If trump loses we may see the right radicals go so bat crazy!!! Far more than we seen in my lifetime! If he wins we more than will see the final Republican president you will see weaker trumps wannabes making the end a true and proper circus!!!

This country is at a major cross road in a few months we will see which path we go forward with!!!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Then funny or ironic thing is the South is a bunch of moochers they are fully subsidise by blue states! Progressive economic s is the reason why those states are not far worse today! If trump loses we may see the right radicals go so bat crazy!!! Far more than we seen in my lifetime! If he wins we more than will see the final Republican president you will see weaker trumps wannabes making the end a true and proper circus!!!

This country is at a major cross road in a few months we will see which path we go forward with!!!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer
Quote Arrgy:

gumball, When Reagan trashed the F/D, it opened the door for Limbaugh, Fox etc. to dumb down generations while launching a war on our Constitution and democracy. You had to ask?

Fox would not have been covered by the FD as it is cable news.

gumball's picture
gumball

I am aware of an often questioned FCC ruling about "cable" TV being by wire, as opposed to the airwaves (the FCC's Jurisdiction) and therefore not subject to some or all of their Fainess Doctrine. Sat Tv got the same consideration, even though it is also 'over the air' but simply at a higher frequency. Cable uses Sat tech also, between digital links in their own system. Also, FOX is available over the air, as well.... think digital broadcast TV.

So, yes - I feel the essence of Arrgy's comment was common sense fact. As a matter of fact, I think the 'Cable vs Airwaves' issue was one of the main reasons given for ditching the F/D - as it would create an unfair double standard that would allow cable companies to do the same job the Broadcast networks were doing, but not held to the same standards.. So they scrapped the F/D on the grounds that it created an unlevel playing field..... Sort of like throwing the baby out with the bath water, IMO.

I feel it would have been more correct to simply enact laws requiring the F/D be practiced by sat, and cable, just as in broadcast TV, but without trying to use the FCC as their jurisdictional source of the power to enforce. They could easily have found jurisdiction elsewhere in US Statutory law. But bad law is easy to come by if you are a big enough money interest...

Mr.Wayne's picture
Mr.Wayne

Would you include streaming and podcasts in the FD?

gumball's picture
gumball