Trump Out-Flanks Dems on Trade and Economic Populism

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

7 posts / 0 new

I can't believe that the Dems have allowed themselves to be out-flanked on Trade and Economic Populism. As Thom regularly says: "The first party that picks up the mantle of 'fair trade, not free trade' and economic populism is going to start winning elections." Sadly, the Dems have let Trump, and the Republicans beat them to the punch.

Steve.I.Am's picture
Steve.I.Am

Comments

Watching the corporate media reation is eye-opening. HuffPo is completely ignoring the trade talk and just has a bunch of scary headlines.

gumball's picture
gumball

The "non-issue" media seems like the Homo Oeconomicus, only interested in profit maximization even while cutting down the branch on which it sits. The corporate media subverts the will of the people by putting Trump at the head of Yahoo and Facebook most days and repressing or forgetting Bernie Sanders.

The parallel private arbitration system in the TPP, TTIP, and TiSA endangers democracy and the constitutional state by giving foreign investors special rights, allowing corporations to sue states and chilling the public sector and all labor and environmental protections if anticipated profits are threatened.

Here are links to four new pamphlets on the TTIP from the German Union Alliance (DGB):

CETA and Labor Standards

http://www.dgb.de/themen/++co++276084b0-4da4-11e6-a59e-525400e5a74a

CETA and Public Services

http://www.dgb.de/themen/++co++a5c00b1c-4d88-11e6-9754-525400e5a74a

CETA and Democracy

http://www.dgb.de/themen/++co++e4c35c24-4d88-11e6-9f7b-525400e5a74a

CETA and privileged rights to sue states for corporations

http://www.dgb.de/themen/++co++15dd62aa-4d89-11e6-9754-525400e5a74a

demandside's picture
demandside

Nobody in their right mind can truly believe a Trump Administration would promote fair trade or reduce the wealth gap. Given what now passes for discourse on this site, I'm not sure how many posting here are in their right mind. My word, have schools stopped teaching grammar and sentence construction? Please pardon my digression.

Clinton is far from ideal, but even Chomsky recognizes that a Clinton Administration would be much more tolerable than a Trump Administration. Just as the Obama Administration has been much more tolerable than a Bush/McCain/Romney Administration was/would have been.

Systemic change will require a sustained mass movement. And no 3rd party, by the way, will have much success absent systemic change. See Duverger's Law.

In the meantime, a Trump presidency represents hatred, fear-mongering and little else. I'm confident that, as unpopular as she is, Clinton will win with ease in November. If leftists want there to be better options in 2024 (I'm betting on 8 years of a Clinton Administration) or to force the hand of the federal level Democrats in the meantime, we had better lay the groundwork necessary to make that happen. Actually, forget 2024. 2040 maybe? It's going to take a long time. Your best bet is getting involved with local politics and local organizations.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

The stock market went up steadily for days and days!! Thats the only economic issuue they seem to care about!

Toddedyer's picture
Toddedyer
Quote Garrett78:

Nobody in their right mind can truly believe a Trump Administration would promote fair trade or reduce the wealth gap.

But but but he said "Believe me!" He said "Believe me!" something like 20 times.

Upgrayedd's picture
Upgrayedd
Quote Upgrayedd:
Quote Garrett78:

Nobody in their right mind can truly believe a Trump Administration would promote fair trade or reduce the wealth gap.

But but but he said "Believe me!" He said "Believe me!" something like 20 times.

But nobody reads the truth checks the next day. Thus he gets away with incredible lies. Dems need to start putting up ads with Trumps statements (out of his mouth) and then the truth. Fact check everything that he says. Fox will not do it.

Legend

The Thom Hartmann Program - Aug 30th 2018

It seems it's all racism, all the time w/the GOP...Neo-Nazi robocall hits Iowa on Molly Tibbett’s murder: “KILL THEM ALL. ” Richard Wolff drops by about the National Debt. Is it a disaster or an OK thing? Also - Trump & The National Enquirer - Is the Economy Here To Serve Us Or Are We Here to Serve the economy?