We need another measuring stick that identifies states that display or facilitate bigoted, discriminatory behavior. States could be ranked from 1 to 50. I suspect that this may be an incentive to do something about it. What are the criteria by which the rankings would be determined? Here are a few suggestions to start with. Feel free to add your own
In the end, the principal problems should be weighted, with particular emphasis placed on actions by state governments which create barriers to civil rights and disadvantages people of color. The behavior of political parties and municipalities should also be given scrutiny.
1. Unfairly making it difficult for citizens to vote, including gerrymandering to deprive citizens of a voice.
2. Creating barriers to education for any minority group.
3. Failure to provide public education on issues of racial discrimination.
4. Failing to create and enforce non-discriminatory public policy, policing and justice.
5. Citizen membership in white supremacist organizations, such as the KKK, neo-Nazis, white anarchist militias.
Add your contributions to the list.
Here are a few web links to give you ideas about this suggestion.
Based on these ratings, companies, professionals and average people can determine if a specific state warrants financial investments and other forms of business and enterprise.
We need to label these states for what they are, for better or for worse. After that, it’s up to the states to clean up their act, or suffer the consequences.