YES! The GOP will now hold Obama to those cuts & more.
10% (5 votes)
NO! Obama should pull the cuts from the deal & start over!
90% (43 votes)
Total votes: 48

Comments

R.A. Stewart's picture
R.A. Stewart 2 years 3 days ago

It's a little bit difficult to vote as the alternatives are stated: that is, both are true.

Obama should pull the cuts from the deal, and theoretically there is no reason he couldn't.

But in fact, the GOP will hold him to those cuts and more.

So I reluctantly vote "yes," reflecting not what I want, not what I think should happen, but what I know will happen.

jestertrent's picture
jestertrent 2 years 3 days ago

Because the Republicans NEVER go back on a "deal" they make, right? Give me a break, Obama is caving just as he always does....

Geraldine Rieman 2 years 3 days ago

I am horrified and greatly saddened that Obama has decided to propose this. I thought he said he would not balance the budget on the backs of the poor, the senior citizens, the disabled. That he would not touch Social Security. Of all things, why did he decide to do this? Is someone paying him off or threatening him? I hope Boehner does not get reelected. I don't get why Obama has to favor the Republicans. I don't understand why he did not stick to what he wanted, and promised The whole election and the promises----lies. He betrayed us. He thinks we are fools? I do not know how he is not ashamed. I am greatly saddened by all of this and my heart sinks.

Elle B's picture
Elle B 2 years 3 days ago

It is never too late to do the right thing. The proposal to use the chained CPI to determine Social Security and Veterans benefits is unacceptable. This is not a valid measure because too many of these beneficiaries are barely able to meettheir expenses and already have trimmed their expenses as far as possible. Shouldn't there be a separate index for these benefits that uses costs of basic necessities?

As a long term unemployed older worker, here is my explanation of the chained CPI. It is based on the premise that a person will substitute a lower cost item when he or she cannot afford the higher priced item usually purchased. By adopting this CPI measure, we are telling our seniors and disabled and veterans that they will need to substitute cat food for the beans they are eating. Then cat food will be replaced by dog food because it is less expensive. Fortunately, I haven't moved to cat food yet.

jcacourt 2 years 3 days ago

As an older worker, I had a terrible time finding employment after taking a small state retirement. I applied for hundreds of jobs, with no employment offers received. I did this for six years, until I turned 62. I just decided to take my SS. I figured I might as well get as much as I could get for as long as I could.

RepubliCONS are so bent on making all of us (who have worked hard for years and years) the patsies to cover the debt. It is not fare.

Obama promised to stick up for us. We believed him, gave him the presidency back, retained control of the Senate and took back eight House seats. Now, it's time for him to realize, if he STANDS BY US, the next presidential election may provide an easy victory for any Democratic candidate, and citizens could vote to just take back the House and keep control in the Senate.

arky12's picture
arky12 2 years 2 days ago

I hope he's learning that when he gives an inch the republicans will take a yard. It's their version of compromise. Don't want to compromise on any of their ideologies, but expect the democrats to compromise on theirs. Nothing is going to get passed anyway. I read that Boehner is taking a vote today on his plan B, which he knows darn well that it will never pass the Senate, so why bother? He knows, the President know and most of us know that there will be nothing passed and we'll slide gently over the fabled "cliff".

2950-10K's picture
2950-10K 2 years 1 day ago

Obama needs to take another look at the spending pie chart and think hard about that big military wedge. He also needs to hold a press conference and make clear to the public that it's the teapublicans demanding cuts to their social programs in favor of giving tax breaks to the very rich. I know it's hard to believe, but many out there think Obama has sole ownership of cuts to the social programs. The Democrats are woefully terrible on offense, thanks in part to corp. media.

Login or register to post comments

We Need to Stop Worshipping Cops

If you protest police brutality and you don’t protest police deaths, then you’re a hypocrite.

That’s what conservatives have been saying ever since two New York City cops were murdered Saturday in an apparent revenge attack for the killings of Michael Brown and Eric Garner.

"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.