YES! The GOP will now hold Obama to those cuts & more.
10%
NO! Obama should pull the cuts from the deal & start over!
90%

Comments

R.A. Stewart's picture
R.A. Stewart 3 years 7 weeks ago

It's a little bit difficult to vote as the alternatives are stated: that is, both are true.

Obama should pull the cuts from the deal, and theoretically there is no reason he couldn't.

But in fact, the GOP will hold him to those cuts and more.

So I reluctantly vote "yes," reflecting not what I want, not what I think should happen, but what I know will happen.

jestertrent's picture
jestertrent 3 years 7 weeks ago

Because the Republicans NEVER go back on a "deal" they make, right? Give me a break, Obama is caving just as he always does....

Geraldine Rieman 3 years 7 weeks ago

I am horrified and greatly saddened that Obama has decided to propose this. I thought he said he would not balance the budget on the backs of the poor, the senior citizens, the disabled. That he would not touch Social Security. Of all things, why did he decide to do this? Is someone paying him off or threatening him? I hope Boehner does not get reelected. I don't get why Obama has to favor the Republicans. I don't understand why he did not stick to what he wanted, and promised The whole election and the promises----lies. He betrayed us. He thinks we are fools? I do not know how he is not ashamed. I am greatly saddened by all of this and my heart sinks.

Elle B's picture
Elle B 3 years 7 weeks ago

It is never too late to do the right thing. The proposal to use the chained CPI to determine Social Security and Veterans benefits is unacceptable. This is not a valid measure because too many of these beneficiaries are barely able to meettheir expenses and already have trimmed their expenses as far as possible. Shouldn't there be a separate index for these benefits that uses costs of basic necessities?

As a long term unemployed older worker, here is my explanation of the chained CPI. It is based on the premise that a person will substitute a lower cost item when he or she cannot afford the higher priced item usually purchased. By adopting this CPI measure, we are telling our seniors and disabled and veterans that they will need to substitute cat food for the beans they are eating. Then cat food will be replaced by dog food because it is less expensive. Fortunately, I haven't moved to cat food yet.

jcacourt 3 years 7 weeks ago

As an older worker, I had a terrible time finding employment after taking a small state retirement. I applied for hundreds of jobs, with no employment offers received. I did this for six years, until I turned 62. I just decided to take my SS. I figured I might as well get as much as I could get for as long as I could.

RepubliCONS are so bent on making all of us (who have worked hard for years and years) the patsies to cover the debt. It is not fare.

Obama promised to stick up for us. We believed him, gave him the presidency back, retained control of the Senate and took back eight House seats. Now, it's time for him to realize, if he STANDS BY US, the next presidential election may provide an easy victory for any Democratic candidate, and citizens could vote to just take back the House and keep control in the Senate.

arky12's picture
arky12 3 years 7 weeks ago

I hope he's learning that when he gives an inch the republicans will take a yard. It's their version of compromise. Don't want to compromise on any of their ideologies, but expect the democrats to compromise on theirs. Nothing is going to get passed anyway. I read that Boehner is taking a vote today on his plan B, which he knows darn well that it will never pass the Senate, so why bother? He knows, the President know and most of us know that there will be nothing passed and we'll slide gently over the fabled "cliff".

2950-10K's picture
2950-10K 3 years 7 weeks ago

Obama needs to take another look at the spending pie chart and think hard about that big military wedge. He also needs to hold a press conference and make clear to the public that it's the teapublicans demanding cuts to their social programs in favor of giving tax breaks to the very rich. I know it's hard to believe, but many out there think Obama has sole ownership of cuts to the social programs. The Democrats are woefully terrible on offense, thanks in part to corp. media.

Login or register to post comments

Corporate-Managed Trade Deals Screw America

The New Hampshire primary is now just one day away, and differences between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton couldn’t be clearer, especially when it comes to so-called free trade.

While Secretary Clinton’s views on corporate-managed trade have changed a lot over the years, Bernie’s haven’t.

Latest Headlines

One Iowa Caucus Delegate Comes Down To Coin Toss

The Iowa caucus convener flipped a coin. Bernie Sanders supporters called "heads" and it landed on tails.

Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton by 31 points in N.H.: Poll

Sanders was at 61 percent support in the University of Massachusetts Lowell/7News poll, followed by Mrs. Clinton, at 30 percent

Martin O'Malley suspends presidential campaign after Iowa caucuses

The announcement came after O'Malley barely registered in Iowa against his better-known rivals Clinton and Sanders, failing to meet already low expectations
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce
"Thom Hartmann is a literary descendent of Ben Franklin and Tom Paine. His unflinching observations and deep passion inspire us to explore contemporary culture, politics, and economics; challenge us to face the facts of the societies we are creating; and empower us to demand a better world for our children and grandchildren."
John Perkins, author of the New York Times bestselling book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
"Thom Hartmann is a creative thinker and committed small-d democrat. He has dealt with a wide range of topics throughout his life, and this book provides an excellent cross section. The Thom Hartmann Reader will make people both angry and motivated to act."
Dean Baker, economist and author of Plunder and Blunder, False Profits, and Taking Economics Seriously