Daily Topics - Tuesday August 31st, 2010

Quote of the Day: “Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies.” Jane Austen

Hour One: Hell no, WTO!! Putin's talking tariffs, why won't Obama?

Hour Two: Why are the rich protected from government snooping when the rest of us aren't? Thom has a rumble with Paul Rosenzweig of the Heritage Foundation www.heritage.org; Plus, It's started. How long before they tattoo your GPS on your forehead? Louis Park, CEO of SecureRF Corporation will be here www.securerf.com

Hour Three: What secrets are CEO's keeping and why do they want to keep them from you and me? Thom mixes it up with Don Watkins of the Ayn Rand Insitute www.aynrand.org; Plus, "Did the Mob Kill JFK?" - JFK Historian Lamar Waldron, co-author (with Thom) of "Ultimate Sacrifice" and "Legacy of Secrecy" will be here www.legacyofserecy.com

Comments

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 52 weeks ago

Candy 'helps turn suspect into informer'
FBI discloses detailed 2009 teaching guide for interrogators.

Yes, but isn't water boarding is so much more fun ;)

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 4 years 52 weeks ago

@DRichards #1: It depends on who's doing what. I don't see any fun in either context. I don't see how making the world a more dangerous place is useful for anybody.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 52 weeks ago

Gene

I was being sarcastic. Those who do water boarding are sadistic. They are also criminals.

minnesotagrl03 4 years 52 weeks ago

This is my first comment on Thom's blog but it is a question (sorry). Can we get a standard (if simplistic) message as progressives to get out to the public to encourage voting progressive this fall? Or is this mid-term election a lost cause? We would need the voice of Thom and probably also Ed Schultz as well. I believe that there are a lot of very mis-informed and ignorant people who will either not vote or will vote Republican, and I really wish they knew/understood about all the corporate funding to defeat Democrats and push forward with policies that benefit corporations. I believe the majority of Americans would easily choose the progressive agenda over that of republicans, if only they were aware of the truth.

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 4 years 52 weeks ago

I wouldn't tatoo a GPS on my forehead. What most concerns me is that someone will demand the power to place a tracking device on my body. It's like a lie detector - the only thing more scary about a lie detector that does not work is a lie detector that works. Who gets to use it?

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 4 years 52 weeks ago

@DRichards:I know

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 4 years 52 weeks ago

ACLU files suit in eavesdropping cases in Illinois:

Chris Drew was charged with a Class 1 Felony for audio recording his own arrest, and Fanon and Adrian Parteet charged with a Class 4 Felony for trying to record their own traffic stop.

Anthony Graber recorded his traffic stop in Maryland by a plainclothes police officer who came at Graber with his pistol drawn. When Graber posted the video on YouTube, the police came to his house, arrested him, and seized his computers.

harry ashburn 4 years 52 weeks ago

re: #4: The #2 problem is the corporate-controlled media. How can you expect NBC to be neutral on going to war when they were owned by one of the top 5 defense contractors of the past 60 years? (GE). the #`1 problem is our electoral system of legalized bribery. We need public campaign financing.

harry ashburn 4 years 52 weeks ago

would you chip your chipmonk? How much monk could a chipmonk chip if a chipmonk could chip monk?

harry ashburn 4 years 52 weeks ago

answer: 6 monks bi-annually.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 52 weeks ago

What bugs me most about the whole RFID chip your pet.. I mean kid, thing is this... when do they remove the chip. Also the whole, "there's so much info that can be attached to the chip" doesn't ease my mind, it makes me even more suspicious about it. I don't want to be tracked like a tagged animal, and I sure in the hell don't want to have my kids tracked by government or private organizations.

One other thing, yes cell phones can be used to track people, but I can leave my cell phone at home if I choose to, I can't leave my arm or leg or whatever other part of my body the chip is planted in.

N

harry ashburn 4 years 52 weeks ago

I can. (Mr. Potato Head).

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 52 weeks ago

The fellow at the Rand Institute is blowing smoke out his...

He knows he is speaking falsehoods, he's just hoping the public will buy it.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 52 weeks ago

The stockholders don't run the companies they own stock in. It's a good old boy network that sits on each other's boards, and votes each other their raises.; you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.

desert fox's picture
desert fox 4 years 52 weeks ago

We need Civil Whites to achieve Civil rights!

harry ashburn 4 years 52 weeks ago

What's with all these young neo-cons? Did they just hate their fathers and never faced it?

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 52 weeks ago

The exceptional pay of CEO's has very little to do with exceptional skills to run a corporation. The golden parachutes offered to CEO's when they are "fired" is proof that it's a big con game.

harry ashburn 4 years 52 weeks ago

for a CEO, its not what you know, its who you know

harry ashburn 4 years 52 weeks ago

re #18: those lobbyists who command the highest price on K
Street are those who can show a personal relationship with influential members of the various appropriations committees and regulatory committees and regulatory agencies.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 52 weeks ago

RE: 18

Yes Harry, we have the best government money can buy.

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 4 years 52 weeks ago

The ultra rich are not making money. They are taking money. From us.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 52 weeks ago

Re: Why aren't the Elite held responsible for their crimes?

Because we have a dual legal system.

We are no longer a Nation governed by justice. The US is an empire governed by an elite ruling class.

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 4 years 52 weeks ago

If you own a gun, you can rob a bank. If you own a bank, you can rob everyone. -- Bill Maher

"Unequal Protection: How Corporations Became People."

Thom Hartmann Here with an excerpt from my book “Unequal Protection: How corporations became “people” - and how you can fight back.”
-----

Latest Headlines

Five things you need to know about this week's market crash

Giant market declines like the one we had on Monday are simply a fact of market life, but it was a bit unusual, compared with others

Thousands of Syrian refugees continue to reach Europe

According to reports of several Syrian refugees, the price for the boat is around 1,200 U.S. dollars per person. The captain of the boat is one of the passengers that receives training for five minutes

US sanctions czar due in Israel for Iran deal talks

President Barack Obama was set to speak directly to the North American Jewish community about the Iran nuclear deal via a live webcast to shore up support for the agreement
"Once again, Thom Hartmann hits the bull’s eye with a much needed exposé of the so-called ‘free market.’ Anyone concerned about the future of our nation needs to read Screwed now."
Michael Toms, Founding President, New Dimensions World Broadcasting Network and author of A Time For Choices: Deep Dialogues for Deep Democracy
"Never one to shy away from the truth, Thom Hartmann’s collected works are inspiring, wise, and compelling. His work lights the way to a better America."
Van Jones, cofounder of RebuildTheDream.com and author of The Green Collar Economy
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Hartmann combines a remarkable piece of historical research with a brilliant literary style to tell the grand story of corporate corruption and its consequences for society with the force and readability of a great novel."
David C. Korten, author of When Corporations Rule the World and Agenda for A New Economy