Daily Topics - Friday February 25th, 2011

Daily Topics - Friday February 25th, 2011

You pick the music week 2 - send us your favorite Labor songs!

"Anything Goes on Townhall Fridays!"

Hour One: Latest from the trenches...War on Labor - John Nichols, The Nation Magazine

Hour Three: What were TSA screeners thinking?! Alaska State Rep. Sharon Cissna

Comments

gerald's picture
gerald 3 years 39 weeks ago

February 25, 2011

The conservative crazies keep harping about the unions giving money to the Democrats but it is wonderful for the conservative crazies to receive one to three billion dollars from American corporations and the American rich. When are we going to hear that there needs to be an increase in taxes for American corporations and American rich? My above words highlight how stupid Americans are in terms of taxes. We tax the working and middle class but we have a hemorrhage whenever there is mention of taxing American corporations and the American rich.

Reed.Young's picture
Reed.Young 3 years 39 weeks ago

"I'll put on a comfortable pair of shoes myself ..." - uploaded to YouTube 3 Nov 2007

Well, Mr. President?

j.sea's picture
j.sea 3 years 39 weeks ago

Sat. National Rallies to Support Wisconsin!

Sat the 26th: National 50 State Solidarity with Wisconsin Rally
go to MoveOn.org and enter zip code to find an event near you!

Pass the Word!!

Mitch in Tacoma, Wa 3 years 39 weeks ago

Mr. Obama's shoes are variously sized from 9 1/2 to 11 to 13. I guess it's pick one.

I'm sending size 11s

Erik300's picture
Erik300 3 years 39 weeks ago

I frequently debate rightwingers and their defense of Citizen's United is that "if Media Corporations have free speech rights with their editorials and columnist choices, why shouldnt all corporations?"

Erik300's picture
Erik300 3 years 39 weeks ago

Maybe FDR didnt want government workers to be able to unionize because during the Great Depression so many people were working for the government. So if they did demand higher wages it would have required laying off millions which would have killed his recovery.

Mitch in Tacoma, Wa 3 years 39 weeks ago

Man it's tough getting a store to deliver a pair of shoes to the White House.

Maybe if I were spending $150 instead of $40..........

Pretzelogic in Philly PA's picture
Pretzelogic in ... 3 years 39 weeks ago

Whoo hoo! Thanks for the "shout out" today, Thom (and for playing the request)!

rydek2000's picture
rydek2000 3 years 39 weeks ago

They just did study for Chicago charter schools and found the results to be at best MIXED. I think this is a myth the for-profit education system. There goal is not to educate students, but to make money.

WisWoman 3 years 39 weeks ago

Why President Obama should NOT come to Wisconsin at this time: There are essentially two reliably liberal areas in the state; Dane County (where Madison is located) and central Milwaukee. The remainder is either rural and very conservative, or wealthy...and very conservative. During the presidential election driving out of Dane County the 'Obama' lawn signs were noticeably outnumbered by 'McCain' signs.

Walker was careful to exclude the police and firefighters from the insurance/pension hikes; DOC employees were not exempted...and he made a point of mentioning he had the National Guard at the ready if "unrest" occurred. There are about 13 state prisons in Wis, scattered throughout the state. Located primarily in rural areas, many of those working there are drawn from that conservative demographic.

My son is a security officer at one; he's been here twice to protest....along with others from that facility. His fellow officers confessed to having voted for Walker, but now understand the threat of privatizing the prisons is very real, and have shifted their thinking, along with their families, friends, neighbors and small businesses in the areas around the prisons.

There's a growing sense of solidarity with the protesters as well as real disgust/mistrust with Walker that would never have happened among that conservative bloc otherwise. BUT....to have Obama come here at this time would again polarize those recent converts. That newly-hatched sense of solidarity would dry up like dew; they could very easily snap back to supporting Walker, equating Obama as being as destructive an 'outsider' as the Koch brothers.

Obama can continue to make statements regarding the need to preserve workers' rights, and be critical of union bashing...but at a safe distance, and not necessarily directed just at Wisconsin. Those who are urging him to put on his marching shoes are not aware of the nuances of the situation here. Continuing to do so does more harm than good, both to Wisconsin and the president.

gerald's picture
gerald 3 years 39 weeks ago

February 26, 2011

There are two truisms. One, the people who have the gold will make the rules. Two, people will get what they deserve. When stupid people vote for idiot sycophants with the gold, they will have to deal with people who are geniuses in a certain area, such as the ability to screw stupid Americans. These stupid Americans will also be relegated to the levels of babbling idiots, imbeciles, and morons while the idiot sycophants are laughing to the bank with our money so the rich can become richer.

Ronald Reagan

On a side note

My wife has sewed me a poncho. I have wanted one for some time. As I grow older, I find that handling the extremes in weather temperatures is more difficult for me. The poncho warms me in the cold temperatures.

gerald's picture
gerald 3 years 39 weeks ago

I have funded my pension in total. Now they want to take away the money that I put into a pension plan. I am tired of these ongoing BOHICA DAYS.

gerald's picture
gerald 3 years 39 weeks ago

I am tired of being screwed all the time!!!

gerald's picture
gerald 3 years 39 weeks ago

Why can't the GOP work with the Democrats? The GOP needs to go this sanctuary and study the behavior of this couple.

gerald's picture
gerald 3 years 39 weeks ago

Captain of My Heart
Rabia al-Adawiyya

Do I consent to your being in charge,
Leading the daily dealings of my heart?
Am I able to yield my comfortable control
Even if I prefer to do things my own way?
Can I surrender to what I know is right
When I hear your voice within my conscience?
How do I bend my strong independence
And move in directions of your wise choosing?
O Captain of My Heart, slowly I am accepting
The wisdom of your divine authority within me.

gerald's picture
gerald 3 years 39 weeks ago
fbacher's picture
fbacher 3 years 39 weeks ago

Texas Rally in Solidarity with Wisconsin Unions held Saturday: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50696&id=1830834252&l=f320ba001c

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.

"Thom is a national treasure. Read him, embrace him, learn from him, and follow him as we all work for social change."
Robert Greenwald, political activist and founder and president of Brave New Films
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce
"Hartmann speaks with the straight talking clarity and brilliance of a modern day Tom Paine as he exposes the intentional and systematic destruction of America’s middle class by an alliance of political con artists and outlines a program to restore it. This is Hartmann at his best. Essential reading for those interested in restoring the institution that made America the envy of the world."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning and When Corporations Rule the World