Republicans have no shame.

Republicans have no shame.

Republicans are now admitting that the only reason they still control the House of Representatives is because they rigged the election. In a new report by the Republican State Leadership Council, the Party brags about how it spent $30 million in 2010 to put Republicans majorities in state legislatures in blue states, like Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

Those majorities went on to carve up Congressional districts in a way that benefits Republicans – by carving up very safe red districts –and hurts Democrats by splitting up Democratic strongholds. So by the time the 2012 elections came along – Republican House seats were already very well-protected. As the report notes, “2012 could have been a repeat of 2008, when voters gave control of the White House and both chambers of Congress to Democrats…Instead, Republicans enjoy a 33-seat margin in the U.S. House…having endured Democratic successes atop the ticket and over one million more votes cast for Democratic House candidates than Republicans.”

Yes, Republicans just admitted that voters wanted Democrats to control the House – but Republican gerrymandering prevented that from happening. Clearly the Republican Party has adopted one simple strategy: If you can’t win elections fair and square – then steal them.

Comments

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 1 year 47 weeks ago

Palindromedary, on this issue I have to agree 100%. The government is blowing hot air with its rumours of a police state. There aren't that many soldiers and with a suicide epidemic there is little concern that they can be directed to fire upon their fellow citizens. No leader that inspires suicide can count on loyalty. Also, there is little to fear from a militia who's worst enemy is itself.

Your statement about China was hilarious and also spot on: "If the US went to war with China, they'd have to get a loan from China to do it....and use high tech weapons that are made in China."

Like I said on other posts, this controlling oligarchy has concentrated so much resources at the top that it is unstable and top heavy. It is everything it can do just to stay on its feet. The slightest nudge and it will collapse on its own footprint just like the Twin Towers did.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 1 year 47 weeks ago

DAnneMarc: I actually got that 'loan from China' idea from a guest on....I believe it was Max Keiser Report...or maybe it was Breaking the Set...on RT...you know, what Ken Ware calls 'Commie TV'.... a couple of days ago.

Yeah, maybe I should go back to my old icon...Fluffy.

charlesrocks's picture
charlesrocks 1 year 47 weeks ago

Ken, If you're going to sit up here and try to bully people with your (maybe) service to country at least get your facts straight. The "left protestors spitting on returning vets" myth has been completely outed as being a myth. A lie. An urban legend. Pure bullshit. You wish it happened to you tough guy, because you wish it had happened at all.

As for your 'free speech coming as a gift of the soldiers' that's BS too. We all saw how much soldiers sacrifices stopped Bush (and now Obama from shredding them and the Constitution). Soldiers have NOT stopped an invasion and total take over of our country by the military industrial complex Ike warned about, nor have they stopped wars for empire, and enriching the 1%, nor have they stopped bansters from dragging us toward being a third world country. They lost almost all engagements against "enemies foreign" and did not even notice "enemies domestic". Some do blather about democrats I guess and consider them the enemy. And PS: there was an article recently about suicides out numbering combat deaths in Afganistan. That's my short answer to both your posts because there is no need for blathering on and on here.

Kend's picture
Kend 1 year 47 weeks ago

Sorry Danne he didn't save the auto industry he saved the pensions of the union workers of GM by stealing all the investors shares and gave the company to the union. Grandmas pension fund didn't do very well by it. If he would of just let it go into receivership they would still be up and running. How fair was it to Ford who ran the company responsibly by not building up massive debt like GM.

He didn't improve the transportation system hard working tax payers did. Isn't that what taxes are for.

Everything you just said comes directly from the tax payers not this President. I asked want did he do.

Be nice to us Canadians we are great neighbours. Most of them are even more left than Thom Hartman.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 1 year 47 weeks ago

I'm sorry Kend but at the risk of repeating myself please allow me to repeat myself.

Taxpayer money?

Taxpayers earned and contributed the money yes; but, it was responsible leadership on the part of President Obama that DIRECTED that money back into the pockets of the workers and into the coffers of the commons. This is a far greater investment than the billions sent to Iraq that left the country and disappeared. Taxpayer money spent on the commons stays here and enriches us all. I don't know how you do things but to me money invested in my house is far better spent than money flushed down the toilet.

Please don't tell me I'm safer. I'm sick of hearing that sophomoric nonsense. Quite frankly, with hundreds of thousands of lost jobs, hungry people running out of welfare and unable to find jobs, and a huge prison system filled beyond capacity with nonviolent drug offenders, no--I don't feel safer at all. Neither should you--if you lived here that is. Oh, that's right, our prison system. Talk about another waste of tax payer money that President Obama failed to reform by repealing mandatory sentences for non violent drug offenders. Now violent criminals are released early to provide space for Marijuana smokers. Do you know the cost to house a person in prison? Taxpayer money at work for us! Safer? You've got to be kidding me!

Hard working taxpayers have no say whatsoever on where there taxes go after being paid. Quite frankly I know several people who are so disenchanted with our defense budget and how that money is spent that they would rather live in a box without a job than contribute to the system. They are not alone. Why do you think so many military personnel have problems with suicide. If the best thing the Obama Administration can inspire in his own solders is to commit suicide than do you really think he inspires me to feel safe?

President Obama did save the auto industry. He saved the homes of many citizens as well. He saved property values across the country. He's also desperately trying to save life's and reduce the enormous waste of medical costs in this country. If his hands weren't tied and he was free to reinstate tariffs on imported goods we would all be doing pretty good right now. That problem is out of his control thanks to the incompetence of the previous 4 administrations starting with the Chief Chump President Reagan; and, yes I place the highest blame for this mess on President Clinton too. If you ask me they were all taking stupid pills while in office.

That being said, if you want to belittle the current Administration I might suggest you talk about Civil Liberty, Foreign Policy, or Constitutional Issues. As far as I am concerned, President Obama get's a A+ concerning the economy. On Economic issues its the Teapulicans who I'd have expelled a long time ago. They seem determined to undermine all efforts by the Administration to resolve any dilemma; in fact, they seem to have no problem destroying the economy to make the Democrats look bad.

Of course, if you have any critique about his handling of Civil Liberty, Foreign Policy, or Constitutional Rights I unfortunately have nothing to say in defense of President Obama.

As one blog post I previously read said, The Presidents biggest mistake when he took office was not to immediately investigate the Bush Administration for War Crimes. His second biggest mistake was not repealing the Patriot Act with a Executive Order. Thanks to the fascists in Congress and the bumbling Bush Administration, President Obama inherited the power to declare a national emergency and clear these two huge problems from the books before proceeding and he failed. It is an utter shame that a Constitutional College Professor would fail to live up to his oath of office and preform the duties that his position demanded immediately--especially with all the tools he needed to do so readily available at his fingertips. I feel betrayed!

It is equally a shame that someone of my intelligence felt compelled to re-elect such a person.

If you want to bash President Obama with me, that is the can of worms that will achieve that end!

Please refrain from wasting our time nit picking The President for such non issues as his handling of the economy when such glaring Constitutional and National Crisis's still exist and are not addressed!

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 1 year 47 weeks ago

You can never go wrong assuming the Avatar of an adorably ugly little preditor. Personally I love cats. You cant go wrong with a roaring lion either. Robby the Robot would suit you as well. So would the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I trust you will find something cool. I'm tired of airplanes. LOL

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 1 year 47 weeks ago

☯ ☮

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 1 year 47 weeks ago

"Kill Anything That Moves" by Nick Turse.

Well, it sure looks like this new book on the Vietnam war has really ticked off a lot of people but I'd prefer to put my trust in the many Editorial Reviewers like Andrew Bracevich, Johnathan Schell, Seymour Hersh, Daniel Ellsberg, and others say about the book...on Amazon.com.

This well researched book says that the My Lai massacre was not just an isolated incident in the Vietnam War...that it was pervasive. "Kill anything that moves" was a systemic mantra that was widely practiced all during the Vietnam War. And another saying that was very true as well...."Killing is our business...and business is good!". Just as Major General Smedley Butler said, "War is a racket!" And the US Death machine has been murdering people for fun and profit ever since. Seig Heil!

It's not just "Republicans have no shame!"...Many Americans have no shame... Republican... Democrat... Independent... anyone who thought the wars the US has fought was anything but criminal, atrocious, and shameful have no shame themselves. Maybe they are psychopathic narcissists.

David Abbot's picture
David Abbot 1 year 47 weeks ago

Well, Alice, I will quote Groucho Marx, who is one of my spirit guides: "Those are my beliefs. But if you don't like them, I have others."

David Abbot's picture
David Abbot 1 year 47 weeks ago

Ken, I did not imply that it was a military helicopter flying heroin for cash. And I didn't say it was one helicopter. You must have had a position of great authority- I would say at least the rank of general if not field marshal in the American, South Vietnamese, North Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Chinese, and several other countries' militaries, as well as head of the CIA, and head of at least one golden triangle drug cartel, to have such absolute knowledge of all helicopters that flew over North and South Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, (etc.) during the Vietnam war, as well as absolute knowledge of all military engagements in the war, and absolute knowledge of what the North and South troops were and were not ordered to do.

There: that was me implying that you are pretending to have both authority and knowledge that you do not have. And it is also me implying that maybe you didn't even see one minute of combat.

And as far as your comment about our military serving our country goes, how exactly it is a service to our country when our military wrongly invades an innocent country and kills hundreds of thousands of people? How does that make them more patriotic than those who refuse to kill innocent people? I would really like to hear your answer to this question.

I would also like to hear your response to this question: what if a foreign country told its military, "Go to America and kill Ken Ware, and you will be patriots." Because according to what you have said about service and obeying orders, those soldiers killing you would be an act of service, courage, obedience, and high patriotism, and therefore worthy of the greatest respect.

I mean come on, you want them to be patriots, don't you? And you want them to obey their commander in chief, don't you? I mean, they're not some kind of wimpy, gutless, honor-less civilians! They are military; they live only to obey orders, and as such, they deserve your utmost respect!

If you feel it's only ok when it's our military killing innocent people in other countries but not ok when they come over here and kill you, that almost sounds like, "God loves Americans, but God hates foreigners and wants them to die." Which admittedly is a time-honored argument, but unfortunately, it's the same thing that Muslim extremists tell their soldiers: "God loves us, but He wants you to kill Americans."

And to be perfectly honest, I think the Muslim extremists have the better deal, because when they die killing Americans, they get 72 virgins. Count them: 72! And what do we Christians get? We get bupkiss! We spend eternity sitting up there on a cloud somewhere, playing inna godda na vida on a harp.

Dude, maybe you should rethink which side you want to be on...

David Abbot's picture
David Abbot 1 year 47 weeks ago

Actually, this was meant to be a reply to #29.

David Abbot's picture
David Abbot 1 year 47 weeks ago

Kend, let's play a game. I call it the republican game.

You be the democrat, and I'll be the republican.

I sneak up behind you and drive my humvee over you. Then I roll down the window and yell, "Blame y'self! Good golly willikers, would you just get up and quit feeling sorry for yourself?"

Then, when you try to get up, I run over you again, and I yell, "Hey! You're embarrassing yourself down there. Would you get up on your own two feet, or are you going to lay there until the government gives you a handout? Why, if I was as lazy as you, I would never have been able to afford this humvee."

Then I run over you again. And then I yell, "Great gibbering fascists! You dented my bumper! I blame you for that!"

Wasn't that fun? Let's play it over and over and over and over and over and over, for thirty years. Then you will be able to answer your own question; you will know why democrats have not yet been able to fix the problems that republicans have caused.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 1 year 47 weeks ago

Dave Abbot, DAnneMarc & PD- Why waste time arguing with kend? I have yet to read an entry of his that contributes anything of value to this discussion. He writes like someone who's barely literate. And all he does is interject those same old Teapublican talking points we've heard a thousand times already. He's obviously content to remain blissfully ignorant of the issues... and this isn't even his country. So... why bother?

David Abbot's picture
David Abbot 1 year 47 weeks ago

AliceInwonderland, there are three reasons:

1. Of course you're right that he's not even listening. On a conscious level.

2. Other people can read both sides of the discussion and make up their own minds.

3. It amuses me, I enjoy words.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 1 year 47 weeks ago

#64 AliceInWonderland WROTE: "Dave Abbot, DAnneMarc & PD- Why waste time arguing with kend? I have yet to read an entry of his that contributes anything of value to this discussion. "

Very reasonable question! I might offer this:

1. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If I expect for my own opinions and ideas to carry weight and be considered then it seems reasonable for me to respect and consider the opinions of others.

2. By providing readers with all points of view they are better able to objectively decide which side is right. Righteousness in my primary concern.

3. Kend's opinions are rather easy to address and require very little effort to respond to. I suppose I also have extra time on my hands. Also, I too love words! I'll leave that at that.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 1 year 46 weeks ago

David Abbot, DAnneMarc- I appreciate your thoughtful answers to my question of why Kend deserves a response. I'll admit, I was in a very grouchy mood the day I asked that question. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. But I'll let you guys correspond with Kend; you obviously have a lot more patience than I do. Anyway I apologize for being such a grump. - Alice I.W.

charlesbb's picture
charlesbb 1 year 39 weeks ago

Agree that Republicans cheated in 2010... When will democrats fight back..... President Obamas biggest mistake IMO once he won election was not investigation the Bush administration over Iraq and holding them responsible

• A web-based gambling site need to give you the ideal bonus offer online gambling igaming around, not to mention the ideal winnings and signup bonuses and this specific on line betting site gives it all.

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.

"Thom Hartmann is a literary descendent of Ben Franklin and Tom Paine. His unflinching observations and deep passion inspire us to explore contemporary culture, politics, and economics; challenge us to face the facts of the societies we are creating; and empower us to demand a better world for our children and grandchildren."
John Perkins, author of the New York Times bestselling book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.
"Thom is a national treasure. Read him, embrace him, learn from him, and follow him as we all work for social change."
Robert Greenwald, political activist and founder and president of Brave New Films