So, about those cancellation letters...

So, about those cancellation letters...

Surprise, surprise... Insurance companies are trying to cheat customers out of more money.  Since the start of Obamacare, we've heard various reports of companies canceling insurance policies, and charging customers hundreds of dollars more each month to continue coverage.  Well, it turns out that many of those cancellation letters were misleading, and failed to mention that customers could find better policies at lower prices on a healthcare exchange.  

A special report by Talking Points Memo found specific examples of insurance companies contacting people before the October 1st start date, and trying to lock them in to higher priced plans than they could find on an exchange.   The companies warned customers that their plans were being canceled and offered them new, higher-priced plans, but made no mention of healthcare exchanges, or subsidies that people could qualify for under Obamacare.  One of the women interviewed by TPM would have had to pay more than $1,000 a month for the new plan offered by her insurance company, and it offered bare minimum coverage with a $6,300 deductible.  After logging on to her state's insurance exchange, the Seattle resident found a plan for $80 dollars a month with a $250 dollar deductible.  

When TPM asked her insurance company why they were using such deceptive methods, a spokesman just said that customers know they have other options.  Although it's not clear how many of the cancellation letters being received throughout our country are a result of the same dishonest tactics, it's likely that many other companies are pulling the same scam.  These cancellations aren't because of Obamacare, they are simply insurance companies trying to rip off more people while they still have a chance.  

This is the exact reason why we needed the healthcare law to begin with.  Insurance companies will always put corporate greed over people's health and wallets.  And, that's the reason why we should continue to push for single payer, Medicare for all, and get the profit out of our healthcare. 

Comments

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
These companies have no right

These companies have no right to even exist!  It's that simple.

rickg
rickg's picture
As long as we have health

As long as we have health care for profit insurance companies will take full advantage of the ill informed public.  My sister got one of those letters and her response to me was... "I've never liked Obama and now his Obamacare is taking more money from us."  Unfortunately my sister lives in Texas which is one of those states in which they chose not to set up exchanges.  I suggested to her that maybe she should contact her legislator and let them know that more options means competition and competitive pricing.  And so it goes.

flyguy8650
flyguy8650's picture
We are all screwed! OB lied,

We are all screwed! OB lied, he is inept, cant lead and a friend of mine's UNION LABOR company just had their Insurance plan for employees go up 106% because it did not "comply" what BULL!!! The feds cant change a light bulb without screwing it up. They new all along the AHCA was going to implode and not work, they went ahead anyway....what a bunch of sickos! We got the Government we deserve, hopefully the public will wake up now that the liers in DC are being exposed. CORRUPT CRONies. I am a fierce capitalists but I have morals and common sense.

We are killing our grand kids with fiat currency. Wake up progressives, conservatives. THE DEMS and GOP are OPPOSAMES. WE are getting BF'd by them all....I hope I am dead when the revolution happens. USA is fastly becoming a bananna republic. Learn chineese !

Watch the end of progressive and liberal agendas as the truth comes out on how we, the people, are being screwed. We are doing it to ourselves. Must be kind of weird to be a progressive these days, who can you support? Bernie? Socialists? Dictator? Bye bye liberals.....Bye Bye liberty

 

Namaimo
Namaimo's picture
I'm with you, Thom.   Here's

I'm with you, Thom.

 

Here's a photo of me advocating for single payer in front of the Hart Senate Office Building a couple years ago:

 

http://inthesetimes.com/article/15810/the_defeat_of_single_payer/

 

 

Kend
Kend's picture
Alice are you ok. If

Alice are you ok. If companies have no right to exist good or bad you are Cuba or China.  Seriously is that what you want. 

chuckle8
chuckle8's picture
Kend -- The binary operator

Kend -- The binary operator in your brain is in full function.  Alice said health insurance companies should not exist.  She did not say that companies should not exist.  In the 60's and before Wisconsin ran its own insurance company.  It was so much better than profit driven companies that the corporatists had to do away with it.  France made insurance companies illegal back in the day.

chuckle8
chuckle8's picture
flyguy860  -- Do you have any

flyguy860  -- Do you have any links or other documentation?  The only reason we are becoming a banana republic is because of Reagonmics.  The corporatists are in the full attack mode on Obamacare (AKA the Heritage Foundation Plan).  5 to 7 million lines of code because states will not do their own software, and the repugnants will not fund the software that needs to be built because of it.  I say vote democratic and get the "card check bill", the no waivers to the Buy American Act of 1936,  penalties on China for monetary manipulations, and tax credits for keeping businesses in the US.  All bills passed by the Pelosi congress and filibustered by the repugs.

We these bills we could be on the road to a strong middle class.  Fiat currency  and the Fed are good for Fox talking points but have so little to do with our banana republic.

rickg
rickg's picture
Yes Chuckle8 most everybody

Yes Chuckle8 most everybody forgets that this was the Heritage Foundation Plan brought forth in the 90s.  Unfortunately Obama and his minions didn't offer a public option which would have put these gougers in their place

Kend
Kend's picture
Ok chuck. Just the suggestion

Ok chuck. Just the suggestion that any company should not exist is wrong. If it isn't a good one it will not last long any way. What happened to free enterprise. I live in a country where I have no choice. I get what my government decides I will get. Be carefull what you wish for it might come true. 

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Thanks, chuckle.  I get weary

Thanks, chuckle.  I get weary of kend's clueless responses sometimes.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Kend- any company that

Kend- any company that provides nothing of value, whose sole purpose is to steal by extortion, has no right to exist.  Did I say this was true of all companies?  Last I checked, this discussion was specifically about for-profit heatlh insurance, which is a rip-off.

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Kend wrote:Ok chuck. Just the

Kend wrote:
Ok chuck. Just the suggestion that any company should not exist is wrong. If it isn't a good one it will not last long any way. What happened to free enterprise. 

Kend ~ When the free market turns into monopolies it becomes evil because free healthy competition is no longer possible and both quality and price become less than perfect. For this reason we have a long standing tradition in this country of anti-trust laws. The health care insurance industry has grown out of control and is defeating it's own purpose. In doing so it is causing more harm than good in many ways. It is bleeding people dry of their money and denying them not only quality, but adequate, health care. This is why it can no longer exist. State or Federal run health care will do a better job and We the People--the free market--demand it. 

Don't worry, free enterprise is safe; and, will flourish much more without the dubious task of having to finance employees health care by dolling out excessive charges to a health care insurance industry that is drunk with profits. Imagine, if you will, what our water utilities would be like if run by for profit industries? Could you imagine a water bill in excess of $1K/mo? Or a garbage bill like that? That is what happens when essential services are privatized. It is insanity! We as a country cannot allow essential life giving services to ever be privatized. That is why the health care insurance industry should not exist--because the good of the many outweigh the good of the few.

SHFabian
SHFabian's picture
"Tonight's Big Picture Rumble

"Tonight's Big Picture Rumble discusses why the GOP is against children eating..." Please give credit where it is due!  It is the Clinton Democrats that brought our "war on the poor" to fruition, wiping out vitally important welfare aid, eliminating basic supports needed to make employment possible, leaving so many of the poor destitute with no way back up (try to get a job without a home address, phone, bus fare). Best of all, he made it cool to disregard the poor, simply erasing them from the story. (Of course, Bill Clinton also gave us 8 yrs of Bush.)

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Fabian, much of what you say

Fabian, much of what you say in your post is true.  But to credit Bill Clinton for "giving" us Baby Bush is stretching it.  The Supreme Court gave us Bush, and Bush stole both those elections.  Just ask Greg Palast, one of the most tenacious investigative reporters of all time!  (The guy is a friggin' bloodhound.)  - AIW

rflood321
rflood321's picture
Thank goodness someone states

Thank goodness someone states the obvious: Medicare for All! Thanks Thom!

We already have a single payer system that has the lowest overhead of any system in our great country and it is called Medicare. For some "unknown reasons", conservatives hate this option since it is too much government, and the DEMs don't like it much either. Just like when the American Medical Association (AMA) fought so hard in an attempt to prevent Medicare from starting in the 60s, there continues to be a strong push from both sides of the isle in preventing Medicare for ALL.

Why is there so much opposition when it has the lowest overhead, is completely mobile, and you can buy supplemental insurance on top of it? Answer: the insurance industry would be unable to continue to rape the American people! 

Perhaps if we had real election reform we would not need to ask such rhetorical questions! The insurance industry bought both parties for the past three decades, to the detriment of all Americans!

All reasonable physicians, myself included, understand this. It is time for the rest of Americans to begin to understand these facts. Without a single payed option, we will have no real options!

Imagine a single payer option, where hospitals and physicians are reimbursed based on how well they care for patients rather than how many tests and medications are ordered... that is the future of the healthcare industry and that is the only way to achieve true cost containment. You would think both sides of isle would embrace such a concept but they don't!

Wake up America!

Medicare for ALL!

 

Loren Bliss
Loren Bliss's picture
Wake up, people. Medicare for

Wake up, people. Medicare for all -- or any other sort of humanitarian single-payer/public-option health-care plan -- is nothing more than a pipe dream. Indeed it is merely another example of the imbecility of hope...the last resort of slaves. 

Why? The Republicans won't ever support real health-care reform. Neither will the Democrats -- the other half of the One (Ruling Class) Party of Two Names. And the secret-police apparatus of the USian Empire's total surveillance state guarantees there will never be an effective third party -- that the lack of a suitably powerful alternative to Ayn Rand capitalism is forever -- that is, until Mother Nature rises up in anger and renders our species extinct. 

Worse still -- and this was part of Barack the Betrayer's core purpose -- the huge windfall profit handed the sultans of sickness and the insurance barons in general by Obamacare combines with Citizens United to provide an absolutely unbeatable financial advantage that not even the most determined resistance could ever defeat. 

To paraphrase an old lament, the original of which mourned the final collapse, at Culloden Moor in l745, of the 700-year Scottish resistance to English tyranny:

Wall Street thugs we could disdain
But Wall Street gold has been our bane
Such betrayers and thieves rule the nation.

That's where it's at, folks, and there's not a fucking thing any of us can do about it except whimper and submit, just as we're doing now. 

bobbler
bobbler's picture
They are probably sending

They are probably sending these cancel letters, then dramatically raising prices, to "lie," that obamacare is at fault (when they are the ones doing it).  Im sure there will be a few real examples for fox news and talk radio conservatives to lie about (the worst lies have some truth that makes the overall lie believable). 

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Loren Bliss wrote:Wake up,

Loren Bliss wrote:
Wake up, people. Medicare for all -- or any other sort of humanitarian single-payer/public-option health-care plan -- is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Loren Bliss ~ I see where you are coming from. However, I must respectfully disagree for two reasons. First, the original passing of Medicare. Sure it was allowed because it saved insurance companies a fortune. It was, as they might say, "A necessary evil." And what an evil it is going to prove to be to those very same insurance empires. Medicare has shown the ability of the Government to handle health care in the most critical of environments and it has got a soaring grade of A+ in the process. In the same way that penning in the Declaration of Independence the words, "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal." was secretly acknowledged by every signer of that document that those words would eventually lead to the abolishment of slavery the same fact can be applied to every vote that was cast for Medicare. The long and successful history of Medicare--along with the almost universal approval of the institution--proves that single-payer health care is alive and well; and, here to stay.

Secondly, one only needs to look around us at every other industrialized nation in the world to realize that single-payer health care is a justifiable modern norm in the evolution of nations and modern civilized society. To think that this country is "special" because of all the unearned cash that is flowing around is to truly be affected by a "pipe dream." Like the abolishment of slavery the United States tends to lag the world in civilized development on a grand scale. Yet, as the Emancipation Proclamation taught us, we are not immune to the wheels of change. It is my firm belief that the day will come when Medicare for all in this country is a reality. When that day may be is the subject for much conjecture. However, I truly hope that I live to see that day in my lifetime. If not, oh well--whimpering and submitting about it are two things that are not on my agenda.

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
bobbler wrote:They are

bobbler wrote:
They are probably sending these cancel letters, then dramatically raising prices, to "lie," that obamacare is at fault (when they are the ones doing it).  Im sure there will be a few real examples for fox news and talk radio conservatives to lie about (the worst lies have some truth that makes the overall lie believable).

bobbler ~ Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. The same way Republican Governors in the Red states that tried to sabotage the exchanges by refusing to accept Medicaid funds, the insurance companies are trying to start false rumors and gain support in their anti-health care agenda via extortion. Wait till the truth comes out. This is typical of the last ditch effort of scoundrels who have lost. Hitting below the belt and hurting their own people needlessly. Surely it is a strategy that will fail miserably and hopefully cost these scoundrels the next election in the process. You cannot stand in the way of progress without consequences.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
With all due respect, Loren,

With all due respect, Loren, I refuse to give up hope.  Because hope is what gets me out of bed each morning.  And I refuse to submit.  Those thieves aren't getting another thin dime out of me.  - AIW

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Marc- Like you, I hope I live

Marc- Like you, I hope I live long enough to see Medicare For All.

Thank you for your eloquent and inspiring posts.   If you were here in person, I'd give ya a hug!  - AIW

tomcalwriter1
tomcalwriter1's picture
Tom, I wish you had given us

Tom, I wish you had given us the name of the insurance company that is referenced in your column.  I think this is vital information, and we need to know who the cheaters and deceivers are out there.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
I may have mentioned this

I may have mentioned this before, but each day I receive literally dozens of messages from a vast assortment of leftie organizations seeking signatures for their petitions, donations, etc.  But what I found in my in-box just now is too juicy not to be shared.  I've received a message from Karl Rove!

"Democrats are desperate!  With one year until the midterm elections, it is clear Republicans can win the Senate in 2014.  Seven Democratic seats are up in states Romney won - six where his margin was 10%+.  The entry of strong Republican candidates in all these states shows our momentum is strong!
"  and  "Democrats are running scared. Their candidates hoped Obamacare would be their signature accomplishment, but its disastrous launch has them on the run. They’ve spent every month since the last election bragging about how smart their tech teams are, but when the big moment arrived they couldn’t even run a website! This is the same crew that wants to run your healthcare and one-sixth of America’s economy!"   and  "We CAN win a Senate majority in 2014, but don’t expect President Obama and Harry Reid to make it easy.  Democrats know they’re in danger of losing control, so they’ve ramped up their powerful fundraising networks and have raised millions to fund their shameless attack machine..." and blah-blah-blah.  However towards the end of this message is one statement I can agree with: "The stakes could not be higher for 2014."  Of course they're begging for donations.  In their reply box I wrote: "Kiss my socialist ass."  The moral of this story: read before you sign!!!  - Aliceinwonderland

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Aliceinwonderland ~ Thank

Aliceinwonderland ~ Thank you. Don't think that you don't inspire me as much or more. In these troublesome times we all owe each other a comforting hug. Keep up those high hopes. It looks bad, but I firmly believe we have the crooks on the ropes. Why else would they be resorting to such desperate tactics like denying needed funds to their own people and writing deceitful letters? My God, they are committing crimes and putting the evidence in writing and distributing it to the victims. How stupid and low can you get. Now is not the time to become discouraged or let up. Now is the time to let them have everything we've got. 

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Aliceinwonderland ~ Well,

Aliceinwonderland ~ Well, there you go. I'm I correct in assuming that Karl Rove has somehow either infiltrated a leftist organization, or perhaps misappropriated the mailing list of one? If so, which one did he send out the letter under? This is something inquiring minds want to know. Just what false pretense did this junk mail take the form of? Please don't tell me you've given your personal email address to Karl Rove?

"Democrats are desperate?" My ass! As far as I know Democrats aren't sending bogus petitions to Republican voters trying to trick them into signing and donating against their best interests. Sounds like it is the Republicans who are desperate. Poor little things. They already know they've lost in 2014 and are trying to deceive themselves and everyone else. Well they sure are good at deceiving themselves at least. Look at the dandy job they did on the last two Presidential elections. They know how to fool themselves like pros. 

 

Mauiman2
Mauiman2's picture
Do you really want the peole

Do you really want the peole who can't even design a web site in charge of 1/7th of the US economy??

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Mauiman2 wrote:Do you really

Mauiman2 wrote:
Do you really want the peole who can't even design a web site in charge of 1/7th of the US economy??

Mauiman2 ~ Um, Duh! Absolutely!

Let me ask you a question. Should anyone really take seriously any comments of an individual about something that affects everybody who can't even spell the word "people" in a one line statement? Was proof reading one sentence too much to ask? Again, DUH!!

Palindromedary
Palindromedary's picture
I think Mauiman2 must have

I think Mauiman2 must have been on Carl Rove's mailing list.

Palindromedary
Palindromedary's picture
DAnneMarc wrote:Please don't

DAnneMarc wrote:
Please don't tell me you've given your personal email address to Karl Rove?

You think that all of those petitions you send, even the leftist ones, are not sold to anyone with the money, including Carl Rove? Many of those petitions, while originated by people, politicians, organizations that may be leftist usually hire other businesses to handle the petition web sites. And just like our government needs to hire and rely upon businesses to get their software right for things like the implementation of Obama Care, how can it be assured that those businesses aren't going to try to sabotage it?

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Palindromedary ~ You are

Palindromedary ~ You are probably right. Also, like we've discussed before, the NSA is also probably selling our info to the highest bidder; or, perhaps even just giving it to their "special" friends. Personally, I can't think of many people as "special" as Karl Rove.

By the way, I got a chance to see that 1978 rare JFK documentary the other night. Thanks for the link. It was most informative. Quite amazing actually getting to hear testimonials from players who are no longer with us. Very well done. Thanks again.

chuckle8
chuckle8's picture
IG -- I certainly hope that

IG -- I certainly hope that Canadian company is not in charge of our economy.

 

Palindromedary
Palindromedary's picture
DAnneMarc: Yes, I agree, if

DAnneMarc: Yes, I agree, if the NSA is helping debt collection agencies collect debts, then they are probably giving away all kinds of personal information on all of us. On the other hand, maybe by the NSA giving more up to date information on us to debt collection agencies...the debt collectors won't keep badgering us by calling the old numbers, that used to belong to debtors, that some of us now have because we changed phone numbers and got the old debtor phone numbers. Maybe that's why I haven't been getting the volume that I used to get when I first got my number. Although I still get a pest calling from Wisconsin. I know exactly who it is because I investigated and found it to be a one or two person investment scam outfit with an annual income of $110,000 that doesn't seem to abide by the "Do Not Call List". I know his address and used Google Earth Street View to go right up to the office building where his scam business is located. That building is full of Investment Scamsters and Lawyers. I know the name of every business in that building.

By the way, I'm glad you got to see that video. It was very informative.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Marc says "Please don't tell

Marc says "Please don't tell me you've given your personal e-mail address to Karl Rove?"  You are too, too funny!  

Here's the return address, by the way: 

<info@nrsc.org via bounce.targetedvictory.mkt5241.com>

If any of you are in the mood for a little mischief, we can clog up their in-box with an avalanche of wise-ass comments!  - AIW

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
JA
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

 

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Palindromedary wrote:Yes, I

Palindromedary wrote:
Yes, I agree, if the NSA is helping debt collection agencies collect debts, then they are probably giving away all kinds of personal information on all of us. On the other hand, maybe by the NSA giving more up to date information on us to debt collection agencies...the debt collectors won't keep badgering us by calling the old numbers, that used to belong to debtors, that some of us now have because we changed phone numbers and got the old debtor phone numbers. Maybe that's why I haven't been getting the volume that I used to get when I first got my number.

Palindromedary ~ That might be the case. I too have noticed a drop in those annoying calls since I changed numbers several years ago. However, I made a point of calling all those debt collection companies back and making sure my new number was deleted from their lists. One of the things I noticed is that there were a plethora of different names associated with the number. Either a very popular number, or there are many scam artists out there sharing it. Imagine if one phone number can be compromised so many times before anyone calls it to find out if it is legit. I don't know about you, but if I loaned anyone money I would check out their info before they saw one dime, not after they were late in their payments. I often have wondered how these lender's can be so careless; and, what do they do when they realize they were had? Do they write off the losses and let taxpayers shoulder the burden for their carelessness? It would appear that every time something gets deregulated We the People get screwed.

By the way, I saw a funny picture of a sobbing kitten the other day. The caption said, every time a Republican gets elected a kitten cries. It was cute; and, so, so true.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
For the life of me, I don't

For the life of me, I don't know why my posts occasionally get cluttered with all that nonsensical crap.  My apologies, folks...

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Aliceinwonderland ~ Somehow

Aliceinwonderland ~ Somehow the National Republican Senatorial Committee got a hold of your email address. Any idea how that might have happened; or, do you think Palindromedary's suggestion is the likely cause? If it was a friend playing a practical joke you owe them big time. I'd sign them up for a Glenn Beck newsletter.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
How the Repub Teabrains got

How the Repub Teabrains got ahold of my online address is anyone's guess.  Seems a likely scenario, what Palin described.

This isn't the first time I've found myself on conservative-extremist mailing lists.  I've also (altho not recently) received their crap via snail mail.  I've saved most of it for posterity; perhaps for one of my satirical collages.  Ya never know when inspiration will hit!

About a decade ago I received a glossy, colorful piece of advertising junk mail showing three children drooling over a table full of mouth-watering confections, with the caption: "Remember how it felt to be a kid in a candy store?"  I slapped that over a page from my High Times calendar, surrounding that image with wide border full of gorgeous sinsemilla buds!  They blend so well together, you'd almost think this was the original graphics.  Turned out so great, in fact, I had a bunch of color xerox copies made for my like-minded friends, and framed the original!

I know I've strayed off-topic.  My point is, never underestimate the power of graphic images when they are recycled through a mischievous pair of hands!  Maybe I oughta take another look at that rightwing junk mail...  Heh-heh.... - Aliceinwonderland

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Aliceinwonderland ~

Aliceinwonderland ~ Interesting story. It reminds me of a joke advertisement a friend of mine once made on the computer with Photoshop. Somehow they "managed" to somehow get a picture of a cereal bowl full of green sinsey-buds. They then Photoshopped a picture of someone sitting at the bowl with a spoon full of buds, with a big wide-eyed smile on his face. The caption said, "Don't forget to eat your Weedies!" They too framed the image and hung it on the refrigerator. Must be a popular theme. Very cute.

Palindromedary
Palindromedary's picture
DAnneMarc: "Don't forget to

DAnneMarc: "Don't forget to eat your Weedies!" That was funny!

Aliceinwonderland: In re: receiving mail from Karl Rove... It could just be that if you have some sort of business then maybe your on-line address is tied in with your business on-line address..and maybe they are just targeting business owners thinking that they must be like-minded conservatives. Data miners can actually mine our email address contacts right out of our email address books.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Marc, your "weedies" story

Marc, your "weedies" story was rib tickler.  My hubby & I got a good guffaw outta that one.

PD, I don't currently have a business-related online address, although I am a business owner.  But it never ceases to amaze me how many small business owners buy into that Republi-con crap, particularly concerning healthcare.  Because our current system puts the biggest burden on small business owners!  Yet most of these guys seem to be against single payer.  Go figure....  AIW 

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Like I said before I don't

Like I said before I don't want to clutter up the heath care exchange website till the first of the year because I want this ACA to succeed unimpeded. However, I just heard Thom mention the Kaiser Family Foundation website subsidy calculator. I just tried it. You can find it at this link.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

You can play with location, age, income level, household size, and so on in order to check out the available subsidies. Very nice! I learned that if I retired today I could get a middle of the road plan for two for about $350/mo. The lowest level plan would be free. This is very nice. it has placed early retirement within my reach; and, possibly the reach of millions of other citizens. That alone will have a positive impact on the job market and unemployment. Thank you President Obama!

 

Loren Bliss
Loren Bliss's picture
In response to DAnneMarc

In response to DAnneMarc (#19) and Aliceinwonderland (#21), though I have the greatest respect for each of you, in this instance you're quite simply wrong.

The hideous truth is the unlimited money of the Ruling Class and the unlimited stupidity of Moron Nation cannot be overcome. Note the defeat of Washington state Initiative 522, which  would have, in essence, required food companies to notify us via labeling if they were trying to exterminate us by genetic modification of our foods.

Initiative 522 was ahead in the polls until the Ruling Class unleashed a propaganda barrage that convinced the electorate such protection would raise the cost of groceries. That simple Josef Goebbels twist defeated I-522 by nearly 10 percentage points.

The message -- that the mere threat of higher prices will trump anything, even the rational fear of death by GMO-caused cancers -- is the ultimate proof of the imbecility of hope. Not only has the combination of money and technology given the Ruling Class the infinite powers of the infinitely sadistic Abrahamic god; its subject peoples are so infinitely stupid they will not liberate themselves even when given every opportunity to do so.

 

 

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Loren, I agree wholeheartedly

Loren, I agree wholeheartedly with your point about sheeple and the ruling class; the sheer stupidity of the former, and treachery of the latter.  But please don't begrudge me the hope I so pathetically cling to anyway, despite all evidence to the contrary.  It still keeps me rising out of bed each morning.  And it keeps me from slitting my wrists.  - Aliceinwonderland

Mauiman2
Mauiman2's picture
Chuckle8 writes IG -- I

Chuckle8 writes IG -- I certainly hope that Canadian company is not in charge of our economy.

I assume this post is aimed at me, sorry can you explain this post a little more, I'm curious what you are saying here.

Thanks

DAnneMarc
DAnneMarc's picture
Loren Bliss ~ We'll just have

Loren Bliss ~ We'll just have to agree to disagree. My personal perspective is beyond the now. I take samplings of the past, facts from the present, and use them to estimate the future. Remember, as bad as it is now it was far worse in the past. However, somehow the people in this country managed to progress considerably. Slaves earned freedom, workers earned rights, women received the right to vote, minorities received equal rights, the poor were granted the New Deal, the elderly--the weakest segment of the population--received Medicare; and, the middle class was born out of abject poverty. St. Thomas Aquinas described 'Democracy' as a system by which the poor multitude dominate and control the wealthy minority. Nothing has really changed that much since the mid 1800's. In fact, we are currently just two pieces of legislation away from throwing big money out of politics for good--Move to Amend, and Campaign Finance Reform.

In this country we have a nasty habit of fixating on the now like it won't be history tomorrow; and like the future doesn't exist. The housing bubble for instance. People could not wait for home prices to come down to buy a house. They swallowed the idea that, "as it is today, forever it shall be." Then, when the market tanked they swallowed the idea that, "my house is worth less than I paid for it today, and forever it shall be." Reacting to such cost them, and the country, a fortune. Why? Because of shortsightedness compounded by shortsightedness. We are very impatient in this country. We have been conditioned to expect instant gratification throughout our lives and that blinds us to reality. Just because you can't sell an idea today doesn't mean that you won't be able to sell a warehouse full of it next week.

Personally, I firmly believe the concession of Medicare for all has already been made in the halls of Congress a long, long, long time ago. It is a natural step in the evolution of our country and a necessary evil in order for our economy to be competitive on the world market. The announcement isn't going to be made publicly because too many politicians rely on Insurance Company contributions for their campaigns. They want to milk that for all it is worth. However, they will Kabuki Theater their way into stumbling upon that Medicare for all solution eventually. To me, that is a given--regardless of Move to Amend and Campaign Finance Reform. It wouldn't surprise me if the Republican Party in one of the next major elections jumped on that platform to win. You know, like somehow it was their idea. Just like Marijuana legalization is suddenly a good idea. Ten years ago that was a "pipe dream" too, if you remember. That will no doubt be their only hope to win any election in the near future. They are more than cunning and backstabbing enough to do so; and, since they know that Insurance Campaign money is not going to be there in the following elections anyway, this would be the perfect time to use that issue to turn an election. I don't put anything past this group of two faced a$$ holes. Now that they have maneuvered the Democratic party in a position where they have to defend the ACA they are wide open to pull that card out of their rear and look like hero's. BS.

Regardless, you do make an excellent point. It is useless to put too many resources into Medicare for all at this point. What we need to focus on is Campaign Finance Reform and Move to Amend. Like I've said before, everything else is a waste of time and resources. Medicare for all, and everything else we need will fall into place after we succeed at Campaign Finance Reform and Move to Amend.

As far as the stupid electorate in this country is concerned my friend, you are absolutely right. Yet, consider this, the citizenry today is far better educated than the average citizens were during the writing of The Constitution, The Emancipation Proclamation, or The New Deal legislation. Education had little to do with the success of those milestone American moments. We have been, still are, and may always be a stupid Moron Nation. That hasn't halted progress in the past; and, I doubt it will in the future. Call it dumb luck. We were spawn in it; and, we exceed at it.

Aliceinwonderland
Aliceinwonderland's picture
Marc- EXCELLENT!  I love your

Marc- EXCELLENT!  I love your perspective, and would have been proud to have written that last post.  - AIW

chuckle8
chuckle8's picture
Mauiman2 = Island Guy = IG --

Mauiman2 = Island Guy = IG -- You know the equation but others may not.  Do you get to spend a lot of time on Maui?

My point is based on the software development company that built the healthcare.org website.  That software company is based in Canada.  That company was in charge of developing some of the software for the Canadian healthcare system.  The canadian govt fired them for incompetence.  Due to the small amount of money the repugs wanted to invest in America, they were the only company availabe at the price.  You suggested we would not want to put the people in charge of our economy that created the software of healthcare.org. I hope that helps. Once again, I would like to say no one ever accused me of clarifying anything. Dan did but I think he changed his mind.

Mauiman2
Mauiman2's picture
I wish I could spend more

I wish I could spend more time on Maui, I have been there 4 times, but not in the last 4 years.

The software fiasco is typical because the government has no competition.  If they screw up, what are your choices?  If a private sector company screws up, they are out of business. Can you imangine a private sector company coming out with a website like Obomacare's?  They would be toast in a week.

You can point the finger at the Canadians all you want, still the blame lies right at the feet of the person who hired them.

chuckle8
chuckle8's picture
IG -- I have a couple of

IG -- I have a couple of points.  Oracle is crap software and the founder owns an Island in Hawaii.  Private sector's main weapon is PR.  The government has a minimum budget for PR; lots of TV time but no PR experts.

I spent most of my 33 year career in software development for a private company supporting government contracts.  A significant portion of software development cost is in the testing phase (40%).  Having the public test the software for you is cost effective.  The politics is awful but the cost is near optimal.

chuckle8
chuckle8's picture
Another example, Windows was

Another example, Windows was awful.  IG are you saying Bill Gates is a failure?