June 19 2008 show notes
Jun. 26, 2008 10:41 pm
By Thom Hartmann A...
- Guest: Rory O'Connor. Author, "Shock Jocks: Hate Speech and Talk Radio".
- Guest: Yaron Brook, Ayn Rand Institute. Salmonella tomato debate...food safety measures faulted. How does the free market prevent harm in advance?
- Guest: Charlie Derber, co-author, "The New Feminized Majority: How Democrats Can Change America with Women's Values", "Morality Wars: How Empires, the Born Again and the Politically Correct Do Evil in the Name of Good".
- Guest: Christy Harvey, Center for American Progress, MicCheckradio.org. "News Under the Radar".
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
Thursday 19 June '08 show
- Article: General who probed Abu Ghraib says Bush officials committed war crimes, Warren P. Strobel, McClatchy Newspapers, June 18, 2008 .
" The Army general who led the investigation into prisoner abuse at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison accused the Bush administration Wednesday of committing "war crimes" and called for those responsible to be held to account. The remarks by Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba, who's now retired, came in a new report that found that U.S. personnel tortured and abused detainees in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, using beatings, electrical shocks, sexual humiliation and other cruel practices. "After years of disclosures by government investigations, media accounts and reports from human rights organizations, there is no longer any doubt as to whether the current administration has committed war crimes," Taguba wrote. "The only question that remains to be answered is whether those who ordered the use of torture will be held to account." Taguba, whose 2004 investigation documented chilling abuses at Abu Ghraib, is thought to be the most senior official to have accused the administration of war crimes. "The commander in chief and those under him authorized a systematic regime of torture," he wrote."
- Article: Teen's death renews scrutiny of faith-healing group.
"You know, when I see a woman walking around with a burqa, I see a Nazi. That's what I see -- how do you like that? -- a hateful Nazi who would like to cut your throat and kill your children. Don't give me this crap that they're doing it out of a sacred ritual or rite. It's not required by the Quran that a woman walk around in a seventh-century drape. She's doing it to spit in your face. She's saying, 'You white moron, you, I'm going to kill you if I can'. That's how I see it! What do you want me to do, mince words with you? I'm not going to mince words. We're too far gone in this country." Michael Savage.
- Article: Radio talk show host calls for murder of anti-war activist.
"We ought to find the people who are doing this,