- Bryan Fisher, Director of Issues Analysis and host of "Focal Point" at the American Family Association.
- Neil Strauss, the "world's #1 pick up artist," joins Thom.
- Jeff Sharlet, author of "The Family : The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power".
- Capital punishment proponent Dudley Sharp.
- If We're Going To Purge Muslims From The Military, Should We Purge All Religious Fanatics?
- Everything you know is wrong...about the rules of the game!
- Did the family play a big role in the Stupak/Pitts amendment to the health care bill in the house?
- What do you do with a child who commits a heinous crime...maybe even murder? Should they get life in prison? The death penalty?
- Bumper Music:
- Work It Out, Jurassic 5 (video).
- Against the Wind, Bob Seger (video).
- Piggies, George Harrison, Beatles (video).
- If Everyone Cared, Nickelback.
- Magic Man, Heart.
- Are the Good Times Really Over for Good Wynonna Judd.
- Crazy, Gnarls Barkley.
- Magic, Pilot (video).
- Folsom Prison Blues, Johnny Cash.
- Jailbreak Thin Lizzy.
- Democracy, Leonard Cohen.
- Today's newsletter has details of today's guests and links to the major stories and alerts that Thom covered in the show, plus lots more. If you haven't signed up for the free newsletter yet, please do. If you missed today's newsletter, it is in the archive.
- Quote: "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." -- Blaise Pascal.
- Speech: Pope Urban.
"The noble race of Franks must come to the aid of their fellow Christians in the East. The infidel Turks are advancing into the heart of Eastern Christendom; Christians are being oppressed and attacked; churches and holy places are being defiled. Jerusalem is groaning under the Saracen yoke. The Holy Sepulchre is in Moslem hands and has been turned into a mosque. …The Franks [Germans] must stop their internal wars and squabbles. Let them go instead against the infidel and fight a righteous war. God himself will lead them, for they will be doing His work. There will be absolution and remission of sins for all who die in the service of Christ. Here they are poor and miserable sinners; there they will be rich and happy. Let none hesitate; they must march next summer. God wills it!"
- Speech: Raymond of Agiles.
"Some of our men cut off the heads of their enemies; others shot them with arrows, so that they fell from the towers; others tortured them longer by casting them into the flames. Piles of heads, hands, and feet were to be seen in the streets of the city. It was necessary to pick one's way over the bodies of men and horses. But these were small matters compared to what happened at the temple of Solomon, a place where religious services were ordinarily chanted. What happened there? If I tell the truth, it will exceed your powers of belief. So let it suffice to say this much at least, that in the temple and portico of Solomon, men rode in blood up to their knees and bridle reins."
"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."
Amendment VIII of the Constitution.