- Is America failing because we don't have enough socialism?
- "Soul of a Citizen: Living With Conviction in Challenging Times"
- Does America have what it takes to be energy independent?
- Bumper Music:
- Walk Away, Kelly Clarkson.
- Things Have Changed, Bob Dylan.
- I Won't Back Down, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.
- So Far Away, Dire Straits.
- Dreamer, K'Naan.
- The Mail Must Go Through, Larry Groce & The Disneyland Children's Sing Along Chorus.
- Give a Little Bit, Supertramp.
- Defy You, The Offspring.
- Grand Canyon, Dmitriy Lukyanov (you need to search for it) (with additional sounds by Jacob).
- Democracy, Leonard Cohen.
- How Bizarre, OMC.
- Today's newsletter has details of today's guests and links to the major stories and alerts that Thom covered in the show, plus lots more. If you haven't signed up for the free newsletter yet, please do. If you missed today's newsletter, it is in the archive.
- Quote: "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~ Samuel Adams.
- Clip: "I've always felt the nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." Ronald W. Reagan.
"An old English judge once said: "Necessitous men are not free men."
A Rendezvous With Destiny, 27 June 1936 acceptance speech by Franklin D. Roosevelt.
"The energy crisis is real. It is worldwide. It is a clear and present danger to our nation. These are facts and we simply must face them. Moreover, I will soon submit legislation to Congress calling for the creation of this nation's first solar bank, which will help us achieve the crucial goal of 20 percent of our energy coming from solar power by the year 2000.
What I have to say to you now about energy is simple and vitally important. Point one: I am tonight setting a clear goal for the energy policy of the United States. Beginning this moment, this nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977 -- never. From now on, every new addition to our demand for energy will be met from our own production and our own conservation.
The generation-long growth in our dependence on foreign oil will be stopped dead in its tracks right now and then reversed as we move through the 1980s, for I am tonight setting the further goal of cutting our dependence on foreign oil by one-half by the end of the next decade -- a saving of over 4-1/2 million barrels of imported oil per day."
Jimmy Carter televised "Crisis of Confidence" Speech on July 15, 1979.
Tuesday 30 March '10 show notes
Apr. 2, 2010 8:32 pm