- Beau Grosscup, Professor of International Relations at California State University at Chico and author of "Strategic Terror: The Politics and Ethics of Aerial Bombardment."
- Jeff Biggers, Writer, editor and journalist...author of several books, his latest is "Reckoning at Eagle Creek: The Secret Legacy of Coal in the Heartland".
- Rick Smith, Executive Director of Environmental Defence Canada and author of the new book "Slow Death by Rubber Duck: The Secret Danger in Everyday Things".
- Doug Cunningham, Reporter/Producer Worker's Independent News.
- Art Brodsky, Communications Director, Public Knowledge (Washington, D.C.-based public interest group working to defend citizens' rights in the emerging digital culture).
- How do you prevent collateral murder in war?
- How much blood was shed so Don Blankenship could make his $16 million?
- Hour Two: "Everything You Know is Wrong" : What are the secret dangers of everyday things and what can we do about them?
- Labor News Update... miners, nurses on strike over gag order, loss of jobless benefits
- FCC loses key ruling on net neutrality
- How do we stop the oil wars?
- Bumper Music:
- Working In The Coal Mine , Devo.
- I'm Just An Old Chunk Of Coal [But I'm Gonna Be A Diamond Some Day], John Anderson.
- Someday, Rob Thomas.
- Crazy, Gnarls Barkley.
- Rubber Duckie, Sesame Street.
- The Beat Goes On, Madonna (video).
- Cheeseburger in Paradise, Jimmy Buffett.
- One Day, Matisyahu.
- Grand Canyon, Dmitriy Lukyanov (you need to search for it) (with additional sounds by Jacob).
- Democracy, Leonard Cohen.
- Today's newsletter has details of today's guests and links to the major stories and alerts that Thom covered in the show, plus lots more. If you haven't signed up for the free newsletter yet, please do. If you missed today's newsletter, it is in the archive.
- Quote: "More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginning of all wars -- yes, an end to this brutal, inhuman and thoroughly impractical method of settling the differences between governments." ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Tuesday 6 April '10 show notes
Apr. 7, 2010 7:20 pm