- Republicans are trying to replay Jimmy Carter.
- John Nichols, Washington Correspondent - The Nation Magazine. The latest shenanigans in Wisconsin... and recall primaries are Tuesday.
- Karen Higgins, National Nurses United. Nurses Call for National Protests - Tax Wall Street vs Cuts for Mainstreet.
- Richard White, Professor of American History / author. Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America.
- Bumper Music:
- The Recall Song, Ken Lonnquist.
- Closer To The Heart, Rush.
- Count On Me, Bruno Mars.
- Stand Up, Jet.
- Simply The Best, Tina Turner (video).
- AllenTown, Billy Joel.
- Day-O (Banana Boat), Harry Belafonte.
- Grand Canyon, Dmitriy Lukyanov (you need to search for it) (with additional sounds by Jacob).
- Democracy, Leonard Cohen.
- Press Conference: President Obama, July 11, 2011.
It’s not going to get easier. It’s going to get harder. So we might as well do it now -- pull off the Band-Aid; eat our peas. (Laughter.) Now is the time to do it. If not now, when? ...
We have agreed to a series of spending cuts that will make the government leaner, meaner, more effective, more efficient, and give taxpayers a greater bang for their buck. That includes defense spending. That includes health spending. It includes some programs that I like very much, and we -- be nice to have, but that we can’t afford right now. ...
I think it would give the American people enormous confidence that this town can actually do something once in a while; that we can defy the expectations that we’re always thinking in terms of short-term politics and the next election, and every once in a while we break out of that and we do what’s right for the country. ...
I’m happy to consider all options, all alternatives that they’re looking at. The things that I will not consider are a 30-day or a 60-day or a 90-day or a 180-day temporary stopgap resolution to this problem.