Daily Topics - Monday July 23rd, 2012

Daily Topics - Monday July 23rd, 2012

Catch The Thom Hartmann Program LIVE 3-6pm Eastern!

Hour One: Does anyone in America really need an assault weapon? Noel Flasterstein, Gun Rights For You

Hour Two: How to lose 800,000 jobs...Mitt Romney's tax plan - Curtis Dubay, Heritage Foundation

Hour Three: Food fight...time to return to family farming?

Comments

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 8 weeks ago

The way I'd rewrite the 2nd Amendment is something like this: The populace of each community shall have the right to adequate means for its defence.

The meaning of "adequate" would then have to be determined by that community. Anything beyond adequate may be legal, but not constitutionally guaranteed. When you consider that we now have a standing army and police forces, adequate could be set pretty low. And the term "its" (or "thereof", if this were written in legalese) is intentionally ambiguous as to whether it refers to the populace or the community.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 8 weeks ago

Wow, I make almost exactly the median income. And you're right, Thom, it's not easy to live on. I do all right, but I can't buy a new car or a house. I'd probably have trouble paying for a social life, but I've never really had one of those so it's hard to tell.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 8 weeks ago

Thom, you've got to play the song "Let There be Guns" by the Arrogant Worms, if you haven't already.

http://www.arrogantworms.com/music/ listed under the album C'est Cheese from 1995.

(Note: I previously thought this song was called "Wouldn't It Be Great If Everybody Had a Gun?")

sonicu's picture
sonicu 2 years 8 weeks ago

Why not have a type of recycle program for bullets and or guns? I'm not a gun guy but it makes sense to me to have as a minimum some form of approval process / tracking program in place to be assured the wrong type of people can't get their hands on both the wrong type of weapons and excessive ammuniation. It seems silly to require a doctor to prescribe and refill prescription drugs but anybody on the internet can ship 3000 rounds of amunition. Is it just me or doesn't this seem possible? Can bullets eject a completed stamp for a trade in program or something like that?

sonicu's picture
sonicu 2 years 8 weeks ago

Thom,

I'd really like you to play "Goodness Gracious" by Kevin Gilbert as part of your normal music rotation. The words are incredible and worthy of listening to and sharing with your audience.

Here's a link to his lyrics: http://www.kevingilbert.com/lyrics_pages/goodnessgracious.htm

The version off his album "Thud" is stellar. Thanks,

NJinLA 2 years 8 weeks ago

Regarding your Radio conversation today about Anne Romney's use of "You People," I think its been understood by the media that those remarks were directed to everyone in the media asking her husband to release his tax records

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 8 weeks ago

Zygophrenically ugly? I don't know. Something to do with facial bones?

sonicu's picture
sonicu 2 years 8 weeks ago

Regarding Anne Romney's comment "You People" As soon as I heard it, I tried to think of the phrase and how she meant it. Either way it's condescending. She looks down on other people from her lofty perch. I personally believe the "Romney's" are resisting the release of their tax documents because it will prove they've shirked their responsibility to the Mormon Church (I mean Cult).

Largest Climate March Ever!

On Sunday, the world's largest climate march took over New York City. In addition to the 400,000 people who showed up to demand change in the Big Apple, hundreds of thousands more joined events in at least 156 counties. From London to Rio to Melbourne to New York, people around the world joined together to demand action on climate change.

"Thom Hartmann is a creative thinker and committed small-d democrat. He has dealt with a wide range of topics throughout his life, and this book provides an excellent cross section. The Thom Hartmann Reader will make people both angry and motivated to act."
Dean Baker, economist and author of Plunder and Blunder, False Profits, and Taking Economics Seriously
"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.
"If we are going to live in a Democracy, we need to have a healthy middle class. Thom Hartmann shows us how the ‘cons’ have wronged this country, and tells us what needs to be done to reclaim what it is to be American."
Eric Utne, Founder, Utne magazine