Daily Topics - Monday July 23rd, 2012

Catch The Thom Hartmann Program LIVE 3-6pm Eastern!

Hour One: Does anyone in America really need an assault weapon? Noel Flasterstein, Gun Rights For You

Hour Two: How to lose 800,000 jobs...Mitt Romney's tax plan - Curtis Dubay, Heritage Foundation

Hour Three: Food fight...time to return to family farming?

Comments

mathboy's picture
mathboy 3 years 28 weeks ago

The way I'd rewrite the 2nd Amendment is something like this: The populace of each community shall have the right to adequate means for its defence.

The meaning of "adequate" would then have to be determined by that community. Anything beyond adequate may be legal, but not constitutionally guaranteed. When you consider that we now have a standing army and police forces, adequate could be set pretty low. And the term "its" (or "thereof", if this were written in legalese) is intentionally ambiguous as to whether it refers to the populace or the community.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 3 years 28 weeks ago

Wow, I make almost exactly the median income. And you're right, Thom, it's not easy to live on. I do all right, but I can't buy a new car or a house. I'd probably have trouble paying for a social life, but I've never really had one of those so it's hard to tell.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 3 years 28 weeks ago

Thom, you've got to play the song "Let There be Guns" by the Arrogant Worms, if you haven't already.

http://www.arrogantworms.com/music/ listed under the album C'est Cheese from 1995.

(Note: I previously thought this song was called "Wouldn't It Be Great If Everybody Had a Gun?")

sonicu's picture
sonicu 3 years 28 weeks ago

Why not have a type of recycle program for bullets and or guns? I'm not a gun guy but it makes sense to me to have as a minimum some form of approval process / tracking program in place to be assured the wrong type of people can't get their hands on both the wrong type of weapons and excessive ammuniation. It seems silly to require a doctor to prescribe and refill prescription drugs but anybody on the internet can ship 3000 rounds of amunition. Is it just me or doesn't this seem possible? Can bullets eject a completed stamp for a trade in program or something like that?

sonicu's picture
sonicu 3 years 28 weeks ago

Thom,

I'd really like you to play "Goodness Gracious" by Kevin Gilbert as part of your normal music rotation. The words are incredible and worthy of listening to and sharing with your audience.

Here's a link to his lyrics: http://www.kevingilbert.com/lyrics_pages/goodnessgracious.htm

The version off his album "Thud" is stellar. Thanks,

NJinLA 3 years 28 weeks ago

Regarding your Radio conversation today about Anne Romney's use of "You People," I think its been understood by the media that those remarks were directed to everyone in the media asking her husband to release his tax records

mathboy's picture
mathboy 3 years 28 weeks ago

Zygophrenically ugly? I don't know. Something to do with facial bones?

sonicu's picture
sonicu 3 years 28 weeks ago

Regarding Anne Romney's comment "You People" As soon as I heard it, I tried to think of the phrase and how she meant it. Either way it's condescending. She looks down on other people from her lofty perch. I personally believe the "Romney's" are resisting the release of their tax documents because it will prove they've shirked their responsibility to the Mormon Church (I mean Cult).

If You Want to Win, Go Progressive

The big question right now is whether to call Hillary Clinton a progressive, or a "moderate."

And then there's the question of who is more electable in a general election: an unabashedly progressive democrat, like Bernie Sanders; or a "centrist" democrat, like Hillary Clinton.

Latest Headlines

One Iowa Caucus Delegate Comes Down To Coin Toss

The Iowa caucus convener flipped a coin. Bernie Sanders supporters called "heads" and it landed on tails.

Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton by 31 points in N.H.: Poll

Sanders was at 61 percent support in the University of Massachusetts Lowell/7News poll, followed by Mrs. Clinton, at 30 percent

Martin O'Malley suspends presidential campaign after Iowa caucuses

The announcement came after O'Malley barely registered in Iowa against his better-known rivals Clinton and Sanders, failing to meet already low expectations
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.
"With the ever-growing influence of corporate CEOs and their right-wing allies in all aspects of American life, Hartmann’s work is more relevant than ever. Throughout his career, Hartmann has spoken compellingly about the value of people-centered democracy and the challenges that millions of ordinary Americans face today as a result of a dogma dedicated to putting profit above all else. This collection is a rousing call for Americans to work together and put people first again."
Richard Trumka, President, AFL-CIO