Daily Topics - Monday July 23rd, 2012

Daily Topics - Monday July 23rd, 2012

Catch The Thom Hartmann Program LIVE 3-6pm Eastern!

Hour One: Does anyone in America really need an assault weapon? Noel Flasterstein, Gun Rights For You

Hour Two: How to lose 800,000 jobs...Mitt Romney's tax plan - Curtis Dubay, Heritage Foundation

Hour Three: Food fight...time to return to family farming?

Comments

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 12 weeks ago

The way I'd rewrite the 2nd Amendment is something like this: The populace of each community shall have the right to adequate means for its defence.

The meaning of "adequate" would then have to be determined by that community. Anything beyond adequate may be legal, but not constitutionally guaranteed. When you consider that we now have a standing army and police forces, adequate could be set pretty low. And the term "its" (or "thereof", if this were written in legalese) is intentionally ambiguous as to whether it refers to the populace or the community.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 12 weeks ago

Wow, I make almost exactly the median income. And you're right, Thom, it's not easy to live on. I do all right, but I can't buy a new car or a house. I'd probably have trouble paying for a social life, but I've never really had one of those so it's hard to tell.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 12 weeks ago

Thom, you've got to play the song "Let There be Guns" by the Arrogant Worms, if you haven't already.

http://www.arrogantworms.com/music/ listed under the album C'est Cheese from 1995.

(Note: I previously thought this song was called "Wouldn't It Be Great If Everybody Had a Gun?")

sonicu's picture
sonicu 2 years 12 weeks ago

Why not have a type of recycle program for bullets and or guns? I'm not a gun guy but it makes sense to me to have as a minimum some form of approval process / tracking program in place to be assured the wrong type of people can't get their hands on both the wrong type of weapons and excessive ammuniation. It seems silly to require a doctor to prescribe and refill prescription drugs but anybody on the internet can ship 3000 rounds of amunition. Is it just me or doesn't this seem possible? Can bullets eject a completed stamp for a trade in program or something like that?

sonicu's picture
sonicu 2 years 12 weeks ago

Thom,

I'd really like you to play "Goodness Gracious" by Kevin Gilbert as part of your normal music rotation. The words are incredible and worthy of listening to and sharing with your audience.

Here's a link to his lyrics: http://www.kevingilbert.com/lyrics_pages/goodnessgracious.htm

The version off his album "Thud" is stellar. Thanks,

NJinLA 2 years 12 weeks ago

Regarding your Radio conversation today about Anne Romney's use of "You People," I think its been understood by the media that those remarks were directed to everyone in the media asking her husband to release his tax records

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 12 weeks ago

Zygophrenically ugly? I don't know. Something to do with facial bones?

sonicu's picture
sonicu 2 years 12 weeks ago

Regarding Anne Romney's comment "You People" As soon as I heard it, I tried to think of the phrase and how she meant it. Either way it's condescending. She looks down on other people from her lofty perch. I personally believe the "Romney's" are resisting the release of their tax documents because it will prove they've shirked their responsibility to the Mormon Church (I mean Cult).

Who Should an Economy Serve?

The top one percent own half of all the world's assets. In stark contrast, the bottom fifty percent of the world owns less than one percent. According to the 2014 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, global inequality has surged since the 2008 financial collapse. The report explains that while global wealth has more than doubled since the year 2000, the vast majority of overall growth has gone to those who were already wealthy.

"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"Thom Hartmann seeks out interesting subjects from such disparate outposts of curiosity that you have to wonder whether or not he uncovered them or they selected him."
Leonardo DiCaprio, actor, producer, and environmental activist
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"If you wonder why and when giant corporations got the power to reign supreme over us, here’s the story."
Jim Hightower, national radio commentator and author of Swim Against the Current