Daily Topics - Monday - March 22 2010

healthcare is right imagesQuote:  Health is worth more than learning. -- Thomas Jefferson

Hour OneWhat is the real impact of health insurance reform and who's Waterloo will it be?

Plus...Dr. Robert "Bob" Letcher - Parkinson's patient targeted by Tea Partiers at rally in Ohio

Hour Two -  36 states are already challenging this legislation on constitutional grounds, is it unconstitutional to force people to buy things from private corporations?

Hour Three -  How do we stop China from continuing to eat our lunch? Eamonn Fingleton www.unsustainable.org

Comments

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

A quick memo from the eternal vigilance department:

The Republicans are working now to spin the November election narrative with a particular slanted framing of the health care story. In the corporate media there's been a lot of sloppy polling and reporting that's fed into a Republican talking point which says most Americans dislike/oppose this health care law. But that's only a half truth, the full truth is that while support is about 50-50, fully half of those who dislike the bill, including me, are unhappy because it doesn't go far enough. It's only a vocal, loudmouth 25% or so of the public, the tea-bagger nut-jobs, that think the law goes too far & does too much - most of us, about 75%, are glad that something is being done. Whenever we hear someone parrot this meem, we need to call them on it, because the Republicans are hoping to swing the election with this line of baloney.

Ed in Redondo

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

I'm saying the Republicans lost it in the manner of losing face. Now Palin can take the Tea Party and form it into a political party since the Republicans wont have their faith. Oh this can be just the thing to make the cons all topple like dominoes (that's the risk you take when you walk in lock step).

LeMoyne (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Sorry meant health Insurance reform in the sentence about The 28th Amendment: Primacy of the people in a democratic republic
I see no other way to get real health INSURANCE reform, to get health care for all, to get the money out of politics and to shrink the obscene war budget.

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

If the Republicans wont identify the "Baby killer!" shouter, doesn't that make them all responsible?

Kind of a reverse Spartacus phenomenon in my point of view.

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Nels, yeah they lost face, but found it on the way to the bank.

"I just filled out my income tax forms. Who says you can't get killed by a blank?" -milton berle

Zero G. (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

The Health Care Hindenburg Has Landed
by Chris Hedges

[...]
The claims made by the proponents of the bill are the usual deceptive corporate advertising. The bill will not expand coverage to 30 million uninsured, especially since government subsidies will not take effect until 2014. Families who cannot pay the high premiums, deductibles and co-payments, estimated to be between 15 and 18 percent of most family incomes, will have to default, increasing the number of uninsured. Insurance companies can unilaterally raise prices without ceilings or caps and monopolize local markets to shut out competitors. The $1.055 trillion spent over the next decade will add new layers of bureaucratic red tape to what is an unmanageable and ultimately unsustainable system.

Both major parties are of the corporate coin, heads the corporations profit, tails the people lose. Flip a coin, we get flipped off.

Quark (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Minnesota has same-day voter registration, similar to North Dakota.

Zero G. (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Meanwhile, the wars go on...

Today on Democracy Now!

ARUNDHATI ROY: Well, I think the—you know, the saddest thing is that when the American elections happened and you had all the rhetoric of, you know, change you can believe in, and even the most cynical of us watched Obama win the elections and did feel moved, you know, watching how happy people were, especially people who had lived through the civil rights movement and so on, and, you know, in fact what has happened is that he has come in and expanded the war. He won the Nobel Peace Prize and took an opportunity to justify the war. It was as though those tears of the black people who watched, you know, a black man come to power were now cut and paste into the eyes of the world’s elite watching him justify war.

And from where I come from, it’s almost—you know, you think that they probably don’t even understand what they’re doing, the American government. They don’t understand what kind of ground they stand on. When you say things like “We have to wipe out the Taliban,” what does that mean? The Taliban is not a fixed number of people. The Taliban is an ideology that has sprung out of a history that, you know, America created anyway.

Iraq, the war is going on. Afghanistan, obviously, is rising up in revolt. It’s spilled into Pakistan, and from Pakistan into Kashmir and into India. So we’re seeing this superpower, in a way, caught in quicksand with a conceptual inability to understand what it’s doing, how to get out or how to stay in. It’s going to take this country down with it, for sure, you know, and I think it’s a real pity that, in a way, at least George Bush was so almost obscene in his stupidity about it, whereas here it’s smoke and mirrors, and people find it more difficult to decipher what’s going on. But, in fact, the war has expanded.

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

re: Waterloo

Waterloo, isn't that located somewhere in Oompa-Loompaland?

Ed in Redondo

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@harry, agreed.

To me its (almost) a good day to be a progressive. Its a bad day to be a con(ned). As in being a Tea Bagger who held the sign "Keep your hands of my Medicare".

In the black and white world they live in, we won, they lost. I 'spect Muckers to be out and about soon.

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Quark -

Sorry - I initially missed your question regarding the addition of a public option to the reconciliation bill in the Senate.

Yes, I guess that if the Senate makes substantial change to the bill the House sent them, It would have to go back to the House. And when it does, it will probably be the same scene as yesterday - the "good guys" carry the day after a nasty, ugly, drawn-out day of debate/obfuscation.

Charles in OH (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

China maintains dual currency, one pegged to the value of the USD for exports, to create a hidden tariff on our products. They also impose direct tariffs on our products that price our products out of their markets. Hardly seems fair from a favored-trade nation.

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Why is it when show strays onto the un-free nature of 'Free' Trade, the web feed is cut off on KTLK 1150AM and I have to use another station or live-feed to hear the show?

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Nels..yeah, but they still have years of litigation to look forward to...and if it goes to the SCROTUS, whos to say they won't favor the insurance companies over "states rights"?

"After Sting dies, will we call him Stung? "-harry ashburn

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Mysterious Floating Head: !?!. you need to ask Louise and Co. to check this out.

Charles in OH (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Now that we have exported most of our consumer goods manufacturing base to China, what goods will we have to export when the USD is devalued?

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@MFH: and call the station and ask them WTF?

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Richard L. Adlof (aka Mysterious Floating Head, apparently?)

Forgive my ignorance, but whoinallhellis Brandon Voice?

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

In an attempt to beat THOM to it:

Teabaggers’ New Protest: “No Government Takeover of Congress”

Wendy (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

From Twitter: @toddgillman Rep. Randy Neugebauer, R-Lubbock, has admitted shouting "Baby Killer" on House floor last night. Says he has apologized to Rep. Bart Stupak

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@harry, no doubt you're absolutely correct.

But I got bags of salt, and they got wounds for rubbing. If I don't use it today, by tomorrow the salt may be washed away by the great hog-wash and lipstick applying frenzy that follows that.

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Randy Neugebauer - the anti-Sparticus....

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Doubtful it's the station. Maybe it's their ISP? Maybe it's YOUR ISP? I had some discontinuities in the KTLK stream in the last segment, but it didn't drop out completely.

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Nels, well, I'm fresh outta metaphors, so I concede to you.

"Support mental health or I'll kill you." - MAD magazine

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee and MFH: that depends on what happened when the show stopped...was there silence or something else?

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Brandon is Brandon, my grandma does want Medicare and doesn't use it;
Brandon is Brandon, I’m an entrepenuer;
Brandon is Brandon, I am good American not an Republican;
Brandon is Brandon, I am a libertarian;
Brandon is Brandon, I’m young and don’t NEED healthcare;
Brandon is Brandon, my two employees don’t want health insurance
Brandon is Brandon, I pay my employees well:
Brandon is Brandon, yada-yada . . . Depending of group of talking points he is floating for bucks this month.

VOICE is part of Voice-SPAMS . . .

LeMoyne (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Thanks to Jim Hightower on the break for this link:
I love it. It should be more general and more specific - it is primarily reactive to Citizens United case. I think such an Amendment has to make it crystal clear that humans are people (general) be clear that Congress has the duty to regulate commerce to protect the (general) welfare of the People. This all seems self obvious but SCOTUS is obviously lost in some Wonderland of corporate law.
LOL My House rep is a co-sponsor of HR 74 - a happy call to Congress!

Charles in OH (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

In my personal experience, when paying cash I receive a discounted rate. I have seen this for office visits, x-rays and blood work. I am told that the discount is because cash allows them to forgo the clerical cost associated with dealing with the insurance companies.

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@harry, well if your fresh outta metaphors would you like a bag o salt as a substitute?

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Ed in Redondo Beach -

GOOD CALL!

(...now about this dancing bear thing ...) :D

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

re: shocking rats..well, the republicans dont consider water-boarding torture (til it happens to them) so, they don't consider electric shock torture (til it happens to them.)

"I don't belive in reincarnation, (but I did in previous lives). - harry ashburn

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@nels, no thanx. I dont' have any wounds right now, but if that changes, I'll let you know.

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@RAL (aka MFH) - OH!

Y'see whatcha get for ignoring the call-in trolls?

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Nels -

Rush should be right at home down there ... I hear lotsa Nazi's fled there (and Argentina) after WWII. :)

harry ashburn (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Nels, Rush doesnt need airline tickets...he can float there as long as the wind is right., and right now it is.

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee

Thanks for the kind words!

Regarding the "dancing bear" thing, I've used "DB" / "DancingBear" as my message board handle for about six years now. On many boards I also use a purple deadhead bear like yours for my avatar - so what can I say except perhaps that great minds think alike...

Ed in Redondo Beach
(aka: DB the DancingBear)

Charles in OH (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

The problem with Mr King's statement is not that what he said was false. The problem lies in the fact that the behavior took place on the steps of Congress. He's all but declaring Representatives and Senators are open game to physical attack. Does he accept that his position applies to him also.

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@ Nels - "So does anyone know any good travel agents so we get Mr. Limbaugh a Costa Rica ticket ASAP?"

I want to hear some travel agent call into Rushbo's show and offer to sell him his one way ticket to Costa Rica...

Ed

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Ed, even better, I'd like to hear a caller(s) call in with a donated ticket. :-)

But then I'd have to listen to his show :-( I don't know if I could do that

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Ed in Redondo Beach -

I knew that, really - I believe I've seen your posts on the RRMB. Just feelin' kinda feisty today.

After all, Congress just told told me that it's OK to kill gran'ma! :)

(... oh no - there he goes again!... )

Zero G. (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Senor Senate Run On Tap
By Elizabeth Benjamin

Dan Senor, a Bush II advisor and husband of CNN's Campbell Brown, is poised to announce his challenge to Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand before the week is out, according to multiple sources familiar with his plans.

GOP and Conservative leaders have been encouraging Senor to throw his hat into the ring. His announcement will likely come Wednesday or Thursday.

Remember the mouthpiece for the L. Paul Bremer, literally in bed with a media mouthpiece...

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Heard on the radio:

"This heath care vote has me really concerned, but I figure that there is always an opportunity to be had in every crisis, so I thought I should call and pitch this to you... Now I'm in the travel business, and I know that a lot of your listeners are going to want to follow your example by moving to Costa Rica. I'm offering a "get out of the sinking ship" special on one-way airfares to many Latin American countries and Mr. Limbaugh I'd like to sign you up as my first customer..."

Ed

Nels (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@Ed!!! you wild and crazy guy, is it bravery or foolishness that brought you to listen to that hippo-critical ass munch?

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee

I've been a long time on again - off again poster on the ESSMB (mostly off lately) as well as an occasional on Mike Malloy's MB and several others. I used to post some on the old RRMB, but it's been a while, and I think many of those old posts may have been lost when she split with AAR and the old MB was shut down. It's possible there is someone else who is now using my old "DancingBear" handle over at the new reconstituted RRMB.

Ed

Ed in Redondo (aka DancingBear) (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@ Nels

Sadly, I must confess I was just pulling the collective leg with my "Heard on the radio" - travel agent gag. My innocent ears could never endure the long term harm that would result from listening to an undiluted dose of the grand pooh-ba of double-ditto-talk.

Ed

Zero G. (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

JSOC Interests Snag Plan to Free Afghan Detainees
Sunday 21 March 2010
by: Gareth Porter | Inter Press Service

******************************
Now that the health care side show has abated, with questionable results, can we remember that torturers still walk amongst us? That we are still responsible for massive death abroad?

Just asking...

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

@ ZeroG -

Ya buzz killer.

(Holy Cow! Am I sarcastic today, or WHAT??!!)

Gerald Socha (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

Getting ready for a long depression!

Frank Feuerbacher (not verified) 12 years 13 weeks ago

I wish that we had demanded the head of Rahm Emanuel in exchange for Health Care. This would have both given us health care and would have flexed some liberal muscle and made Obama a little more progressive.

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen
"Never one to shy away from the truth, Thom Hartmann’s collected works are inspiring, wise, and compelling. His work lights the way to a better America."
Van Jones, cofounder of RebuildTheDream.com and author of The Green Collar Economy
"Right through the worst of the Bush years and into the present, Thom Hartmann has been one of the very few voices constantly willing to tell the truth. Rank him up there with Jon Stewart, Bill Moyers, and Paul Krugman for having the sheer persistent courage of his convictions."
Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth