Daily Topics - Monday - March 29th 2010

revolution magesQuote: "It [racism] is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out." -- Pierre Berton

Hour One - Should all tea partiers be required to sign an "I won't take social security and medicare" pledge?

Hour Two - Thom defends Obama Zombies Jason Mattera www.jasonmattera.com

Hour Three - How do we get our jobs back to America? Scott Paul www.americanmanufacturing.org

Comments

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 12 weeks ago

@ZeroG -

I do not, generally, support or agree with most of the views expressed by Schieffer. In fact (and perhaps I should have made this clear in my original post on the topic) only reason I mentioned this at all is because of how rare it was for me to find myself in agreement with the gentleman whose initials are so ironically perfect!

After last week's craziness, however, I begin to fear that the ONLY way this ends is by somebody catching a bullet - maybe the President, maybe a Senator, maybe a Congressman, maybe just a private citizen, but I'm afraid that this nonsense is quite likely to kill someone. Changes in the primary system, obviously, will NOT bring this situation to a better kind of end, but it might prevent it from happening AGAIN.

So ... does anyone have any opinions about the IDEA of non-partisan primaries, as opposed to (a) denigrating the source, or (b) quoting Hightower?

Ivan Beggs (not verified) 12 years 12 weeks ago

I have asked several tea party supporters that they not take Social Security nor Medicare. Their response: "They give it to me and I earned it! So, I'll take every penny I can get!!!"

harry ashburn.... (not verified) 12 years 12 weeks ago

Zero G: good one! ( (a) denigrating the source, or (b) quoting Hightower?):D

I believe Schieffer is just re=arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The one big change would be public campaign financing with air-tight enforcement.

Paul Warrick (not verified) 12 years 12 weeks ago

I would like added to the pledge:

I will pay for my relatives who are on any/all forms of socialist income in order that they will no longer continue to draw such income. Instead of the government, I will pay for my parents' social security and I will pay for their medicare and medicaid expenses.

Rebecca (not verified) 12 years 12 weeks ago

Thom,

I just wanted to give you kudos on the bumper music for today's show. Bright Eyes, Spoon - both excellent bands. Thank you!

mstaggerlee (not verified) 12 years 12 weeks ago

@Paul Warrick, re: I will pay for my parents’ social security and I will pay for their medicare and medicaid expenses.

Thought we were doin' that already!

Lori (not verified) 12 years 12 weeks ago

Hello Thom:

I am very excited that I got through on your show yesterday (3-29-10). I was the person who called and commented about the Obama/Duncan education "reform" plan. Is there a way I can get a copy of that clip, or something from Youtube? Someone on DU posted a thread on it, and some wished they could have seen it. Can you help?

Thanks,

Lori

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
"Never one to shy away from the truth, Thom Hartmann’s collected works are inspiring, wise, and compelling. His work lights the way to a better America."
Van Jones, cofounder of RebuildTheDream.com and author of The Green Collar Economy