Nothing Short of Theft

The days of guaranteed retirement benefit in the form of a pension are long gone. As numbers out of the Bureau of Labor Statistics show – defined benefit retirement pension are on a drastic decline since 1981. That was the year when over 80% of full-time workers in the private sector participated in a pension plan. By 1997, that number had plummeted to just over 50%. And by 2011, looking at all workers in all private businesses in America, fewer than 20% of workers have some sort of pension retirement plan.

This translates into economic insecurity for seniors – especially now that Republicans in the House are trying to turn Social Security and Medicare over to private sector profiteers. This also adds to the growing list of things that Corporate America is taking from their workers, in its quest for higher and higher profits.

In recent months – we’ve seen employers promise to reduce hours to avoid providing health insurance, we’ve seen the right to free political speech taken away, guaranteed vacation time and maternity leave don’t exist – workplace safety laws are getting watered down – heck, they’ve even taken our money by flattening our wages during a time of increased productivity. In some states, they even want to take away our bathroom breaks!

This is nothing short of theft. And pretty soon, we’ll be handing over the shirts on our backs, just so that our bosses can squeeze whatever profits they can out of them.

Comments

mmuoio's picture
mmuoio 7 years 20 weeks ago

This is simply bad business....but the corporatists just don't see it.

Visit this chart as it simply proves the interrelationships of income distribution and GDP growth.

This should help everyone understand a bit better.

J.A.Hurley's picture
J.A.Hurley 7 years 20 weeks ago

I got this link from my brother and normally (because he is a bit wacko) I would delete the email. But I listened to it and thought everyone might find it interesting too. I have never heard of Gordon Duff before but he certainly seems very intelligent.

megalomaniac's picture
megalomaniac 7 years 20 weeks ago

Nothing short of theft, yet everything long on fear, economic treachery, a six figure news person always is making a question. Hate cable and hate radio in an endless rain of rhetorical terror of difficult things to come. The other day watching Mr. Thom Hartmann illustrating some of the qualities of the Constitution line by line and with good descriptions. Thom has that detective insight to point out the fallacies with the current leadership plus showing the needs or reasons that we should have taken action on to change.

The state of affairs in America is worse than a simple ideal of disappointment. The flux of criminal activity is an outrage existing among the toff. British slang for belonging to landed gentry that are someone who extrudes an air of superiority. The cable news aristocrats just radiate like a sunny day but actually are worse than the waste of Yuka Mountain. Yes the upper class Sleuth is in our face. What America has seen is simply spiffy attractive inequality that is leading legislative actions that cause desperate terminal destructive policies. It’s insane to think of cutting teachers, police, and fire protection to balance the system. If the Republicans had their way about cleaning the air supply, they would most likely cut it off, liberals don’t need to breathe. We all know Rush Limbaugh would agree to that.

Changing channels gave me whole new opportunity to view Fox News Redeye famous comedian, Greg Gutfeld a co-host/panelist on the Fox News political opinion discussion program “The Five.” But this was on C span, a special program. There are about three comedians that fall into a pattern where these comedians Gutfeld, Glen Beck, and Davis Miller are evidence that attract sobriety. The way to economic recovery is to steal jokes, alienate liberals into straight jacket thinking, or just plain condone the Fox News approach, the Arab Wahhabi ownership that is under the SEC radar as the “force Majeure” in programming Middle East double talk. Now America knows Fox news is Bush’s brain. The Show on C span was highlighted with applauds and cheers from the audience, very conservative they said, which made me nausea. I say, no way these people don’t even get close to conservative. My feelings are as an Eisenhower Conservative. I grow up with Ike, and they are nothing like it.

DAnneMarc's picture
DAnneMarc 7 years 20 weeks ago

I agree Thom!

Forcing a person to work or forfeit a day's wages is a threat to National Security. If you ask me sick leave should fall under workman's comp insurance as a CDC decree. Use our opulent Defense Fund to pay for it!

While you're at it, lets discourage shaking hands as a way to great people for the same National Security reason. The American Indians would raise their hand with their palms facing the other person and say "How." Sounds a lot more sanitary to me.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 20 weeks ago

Ken Ware has said: "MS. Obama, I refer to him as Ms. after his lack of any aggressiveness when dealing with the Repubkinuts..."

"MS" Obama?! Excuse me Mister Testosterone, but I don't appreciate the sentiment. It reeks of misogyny. I agree with your assessment of Obama, along with may points your have made, but can do without the sexist remarks. Surely you could find a better way to express an opinion than to illustrate your point with tired old stereotypes of this sort, which are not only denigrating but passé.

Normal

mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland 7 years 20 weeks ago

What's with all the gibberish posted after my message? Not of my creation.

Green_TZM's picture
Green_TZM 7 years 19 weeks ago

Dear Thom:

I first called you about the Equal Access Amendment. https://www.facebook.com/groups/152631684794770/doc/216291868428751/ This is a compilation of needed laws/rules to make voting fair for the candidates and the voter. You instructed me to put this on your page. You have so many places so I put it in the forums. I doubt you've read it. In any case I continued my attempts to find people to help me accomplish this task. I found that there were some groups that focused on one voting flaw and some that focused on a few.

I have always contended that we need to address all the issues at once because they are interelated. One can not get money out of politics to be defeated by gerrymandering and two party ballots. I searched and searched and queried. No one agreed that all the issues needed to be worked on together.

I spoke to you about one of the issues, the right to vote. And I had hoped to bring a different issue to you on other occaisons. (It has been difficult to get through the screener) Then one day I saw a request for support, in case the 2012 elections were stolen. And when I searched their pages I found the Voter's Bill of Rights. Imagine my surprise when I discovered you worked on that with a group of people. And even more that you also included a comprehensive plan for voting. The group that I discovered is No More Stolen Elections. http://nomorestolenelections.org/voter-bill-rights I have contacted them and they only make changes to their document via council.

In any case we are working on specific rules and not generalities. One issue is IRV. We have found people much smarter than us at the google+ group called center for election science https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/electionscience (must be relatives of yours Thom, they're egg heads) and they have shown that IRV while well intentioned, only delays the inevitable. "A two party choice". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzYRDTVRS8 What is needed is a proportional congress where all parties win, but they may win a different amount. And the people need to hear about these different options so they can understand them and ask for them.

This is a little bit long so I'll end it here. Can you ask your screener to let me thorough when i call, and I'll tell you each piece we're working on as we do it. Norman Goldman says there is a group of conservative planning a JUly 4th request to change the constitution. Article V is trying to get an audience with congress to do the same, on the liberal side. One conservative http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpyqZlvuVt0 says that we should make an agreement that when we ask for the constitutional amendment under article V we should acquiese to only discussing certain things or else people will be afraid that we (any of us) will try to rewrite the WHOLE constitution. Marcia p.s. you still should make the correspondence course, but maybe go in on it with Norman Goldman and Mike Papantonio. Your callers may be smart, but there's a lot of us out here that don't know how to find these answers ourselves. for example reading a supreme court summary.

OK bye

Marcia

How Do We Heal America From the Damage Caused By Right Wing Media?

Thom plus logo Donald Trump wants to go after social media because Twitter pointed out one of his lies. And, in fact, social media has done a lot of damage to America and the American body politic, with the most visible example being it's help in putting Donald Trump in the White House in 2016.
"Thom Hartmann is a creative thinker and committed small-d democrat. He has dealt with a wide range of topics throughout his life, and this book provides an excellent cross section. The Thom Hartmann Reader will make people both angry and motivated to act."
Dean Baker, economist and author of Plunder and Blunder, False Profits, and Taking Economics Seriously
"In Cracking the Code, Thom Hartmann, America’s most popular, informed, and articulate progressive talk show host and political analyst, tells us what makes humans vulnerable to unscrupulous propagandists and what we can do about it. It is essential reading for all Americans who are fed up with right-wing extremists manipulating our minds and politics to promote agendas contrary to our core values and interests."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community and When Corporations Rule the World and board chair of YES! magazine
"Thom Hartmann is a literary descendent of Ben Franklin and Tom Paine. His unflinching observations and deep passion inspire us to explore contemporary culture, politics, and economics; challenge us to face the facts of the societies we are creating; and empower us to demand a better world for our children and grandchildren."
John Perkins, author of the New York Times bestselling book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man