YES! - Every American should be guaranteed the right to vote.
98% (49 votes)
NO! - Our current system of voter registration works just fine.
2% (1 vote)
Total votes: 50

Comments

stantak's picture
stantak 2 years 1 week ago

I am amazed that this is a question!

Isn't this what we fought for?

Yes, we have civil liberties, but we also have civil obligations and voting needs to be one of them.

Shame on the GOP for trying to disenfranchise millions of American!

Stan near Seattle, WA

stillpeeingonthebushes's picture
stillpeeingonth... 2 years 1 week ago

Agreed. Not just the "right", the responsibility.

Rboisvert7's picture
Rboisvert7 2 years 1 week ago

Voting rights shouldn't be left to individual states because political extremist will stop at nothing to win.

jkh6148's picture
jkh6148 2 years 1 week ago

the scotus says there is no constitutional right to vote

says money is speech -

isn't your vote speech?

to get a driver's license you need 3 forms of id

yet those 3 forms of id

aren't good enough to vote -

you need a driver's license

HalFonts's picture
HalFonts 2 years 1 week ago

Just got my Driver's License renewed -- and there was no Birth Certificate requirement -- the only proof of birth-citizenship. Grandfathered for decades, I don't think I've ever had to prove birth in the US for a licence to drive.

And I don't think anything in my Voting Registration History File is based on any "Birth in US" citizenship. Fact is, if randomly stopped on the street, I could NOT prove my US Citizenship -- not with any ID that I carry. I'd have to find, or apply and pay for copies of my birth-papers.

I helped a guy who'd lost all his ID. (Like many older citizens he was generally doing okay without it). It took us more than $50 and 3-months to recreate his paper-trail -- overcoming two Catch-22 bureaucratic blockages. IE: To get a State photo-ID you need "your Sosh" CARD, (an unsecure printed reminder); and to replace your Social Security reminder card ("Not for Identification"), you need a State Photo-ID. GOTCHA.

arky12's picture
arky12 2 years 1 week ago

Voter "registration" does work just fine, but when that "registered" voter goes to the polls, that's where the problems start, thanks to the Republican voter suppression laws requiring specific types of ID to vote, which in some states a gun license takes precedence of a passport as "legal". After $74,000,000 and 7 years of GW Bush trying to find voter fraud, they found 35 over that period of time, so it's not reasonable for states to spend millions of taxpayer dollars on these laws to prevent a problem that's almost virtually non existent. May well benefit us more to work on election frauds, which seem to be rampant.

PLSzymeczek's picture
PLSzymeczek 2 years 1 week ago

We need to move to a system like what exists in Canada. There is a database of every citizen over the age of 18. If you are in that database, you vote. No need to change registration every time you move within the country.

Craig Bush's picture
Craig Bush 2 years 1 week ago

I was denied the right to vote and to participate in our democracy. Because of a county election clerk's error and an ommision on a voter registration application I was told that technically I'm not here.

I have been registered to vote here in Santa Cruz Ca since mid 80's. Errors or ommissions should not be reason to deny us our rights. Time should not run out for us. Federal laws with a process of protection would solve these disparities.

I could not run for city council as planned. bushforsccouncil.99k.org But, I have to say that I am here. I have an EBT card. I buy food here. The govt. can track where and what I consume for food. They can't get a voter application right? Technically I'm not here?

We need a federal law to declare election day a federal paid holiday. So we can celebrate our democracy rather then stand in the rain after work to vote. We need weekend long voting. Remember the day when the republicans stole our election of Gore. Remember when chief justice Reinquist with his "Cheshire" cat smile spoke, "Did you really think we were going to allow you to count the votes"? This is an assault on our democracy. We must protect our rights to vote!

Login or register to post comments

Get. Money. Out.

Last week, the United States Senate actually considered a constitutional amendment on campaign finance. Last Monday, the Senate advanced Tom Udall's proposed amendment, which would allow Congress to regulate money in politics. Seventy-nine senators voted to allow debate on the measure.

"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen
"In an age rife with media-inspired confusion and political cowardice, we yearn for a decent, caring, deeply human soul whose grasp of the problems confronting us provides a light by which we can make our way through the quagmire of lies, distortions, pandering, and hollow self-puffery that strips the American Dream of its promise. How lucky we are, then, to have access to the wit, wisdom, and willingness of Thom Hartmann, who shares with us here that very light, grown out of his own life experience."
Mike Farrell, actor, political activist, and author of Just Call Me Mike and Of Mule and Man
"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.