YES! - Every American should be guaranteed the right to vote.
98% (49 votes)
NO! - Our current system of voter registration works just fine.
2% (1 vote)
Total votes: 50

Comments

stantak's picture
stantak 2 years 26 weeks ago

I am amazed that this is a question!

Isn't this what we fought for?

Yes, we have civil liberties, but we also have civil obligations and voting needs to be one of them.

Shame on the GOP for trying to disenfranchise millions of American!

Stan near Seattle, WA

stillpeeingonthebushes's picture
stillpeeingonth... 2 years 26 weeks ago

Agreed. Not just the "right", the responsibility.

Rboisvert7's picture
Rboisvert7 2 years 26 weeks ago

Voting rights shouldn't be left to individual states because political extremist will stop at nothing to win.

jkh6148's picture
jkh6148 2 years 26 weeks ago

the scotus says there is no constitutional right to vote

says money is speech -

isn't your vote speech?

to get a driver's license you need 3 forms of id

yet those 3 forms of id

aren't good enough to vote -

you need a driver's license

HalFonts's picture
HalFonts 2 years 26 weeks ago

Just got my Driver's License renewed -- and there was no Birth Certificate requirement -- the only proof of birth-citizenship. Grandfathered for decades, I don't think I've ever had to prove birth in the US for a licence to drive.

And I don't think anything in my Voting Registration History File is based on any "Birth in US" citizenship. Fact is, if randomly stopped on the street, I could NOT prove my US Citizenship -- not with any ID that I carry. I'd have to find, or apply and pay for copies of my birth-papers.

I helped a guy who'd lost all his ID. (Like many older citizens he was generally doing okay without it). It took us more than $50 and 3-months to recreate his paper-trail -- overcoming two Catch-22 bureaucratic blockages. IE: To get a State photo-ID you need "your Sosh" CARD, (an unsecure printed reminder); and to replace your Social Security reminder card ("Not for Identification"), you need a State Photo-ID. GOTCHA.

arky12's picture
arky12 2 years 26 weeks ago

Voter "registration" does work just fine, but when that "registered" voter goes to the polls, that's where the problems start, thanks to the Republican voter suppression laws requiring specific types of ID to vote, which in some states a gun license takes precedence of a passport as "legal". After $74,000,000 and 7 years of GW Bush trying to find voter fraud, they found 35 over that period of time, so it's not reasonable for states to spend millions of taxpayer dollars on these laws to prevent a problem that's almost virtually non existent. May well benefit us more to work on election frauds, which seem to be rampant.

PLSzymeczek's picture
PLSzymeczek 2 years 26 weeks ago

We need to move to a system like what exists in Canada. There is a database of every citizen over the age of 18. If you are in that database, you vote. No need to change registration every time you move within the country.

Craig Bush's picture
Craig Bush 2 years 25 weeks ago

I was denied the right to vote and to participate in our democracy. Because of a county election clerk's error and an ommision on a voter registration application I was told that technically I'm not here.

I have been registered to vote here in Santa Cruz Ca since mid 80's. Errors or ommissions should not be reason to deny us our rights. Time should not run out for us. Federal laws with a process of protection would solve these disparities.

I could not run for city council as planned. bushforsccouncil.99k.org But, I have to say that I am here. I have an EBT card. I buy food here. The govt. can track where and what I consume for food. They can't get a voter application right? Technically I'm not here?

We need a federal law to declare election day a federal paid holiday. So we can celebrate our democracy rather then stand in the rain after work to vote. We need weekend long voting. Remember the day when the republicans stole our election of Gore. Remember when chief justice Reinquist with his "Cheshire" cat smile spoke, "Did you really think we were going to allow you to count the votes"? This is an assault on our democracy. We must protect our rights to vote!

Login or register to post comments

Will the ACA survive SCOTUS?

It's anyone's guess as to whether the Affordable Care Act will survive it's latest challenge. This week, the Supreme Court heard arguments in the case of King v. Burwell.

"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce
"Once again, Thom Hartmann hits the bull’s eye with a much needed exposé of the so-called ‘free market.’ Anyone concerned about the future of our nation needs to read Screwed now."
Michael Toms, Founding President, New Dimensions World Broadcasting Network and author of A Time For Choices: Deep Dialogues for Deep Democracy