YES! - Every American should be guaranteed the right to vote.
98%
NO! - Our current system of voter registration works just fine.

Comments

stantak's picture
stantak 3 years 19 hours ago

I am amazed that this is a question!

Isn't this what we fought for?

Yes, we have civil liberties, but we also have civil obligations and voting needs to be one of them.

Shame on the GOP for trying to disenfranchise millions of American!

Stan near Seattle, WA

stillpeeingonthebushes's picture
stillpeeingonth... 3 years 16 hours ago

Agreed. Not just the "right", the responsibility.

Rboisvert7's picture
Rboisvert7 3 years 14 hours ago

Voting rights shouldn't be left to individual states because political extremist will stop at nothing to win.

jkh6148's picture
jkh6148 3 years 14 hours ago

the scotus says there is no constitutional right to vote

says money is speech -

isn't your vote speech?

to get a driver's license you need 3 forms of id

yet those 3 forms of id

aren't good enough to vote -

you need a driver's license

HalFonts's picture
HalFonts 3 years 11 hours ago

Just got my Driver's License renewed -- and there was no Birth Certificate requirement -- the only proof of birth-citizenship. Grandfathered for decades, I don't think I've ever had to prove birth in the US for a licence to drive.

And I don't think anything in my Voting Registration History File is based on any "Birth in US" citizenship. Fact is, if randomly stopped on the street, I could NOT prove my US Citizenship -- not with any ID that I carry. I'd have to find, or apply and pay for copies of my birth-papers.

I helped a guy who'd lost all his ID. (Like many older citizens he was generally doing okay without it). It took us more than $50 and 3-months to recreate his paper-trail -- overcoming two Catch-22 bureaucratic blockages. IE: To get a State photo-ID you need "your Sosh" CARD, (an unsecure printed reminder); and to replace your Social Security reminder card ("Not for Identification"), you need a State Photo-ID. GOTCHA.

arky12's picture
arky12 3 years 1 hour ago

Voter "registration" does work just fine, but when that "registered" voter goes to the polls, that's where the problems start, thanks to the Republican voter suppression laws requiring specific types of ID to vote, which in some states a gun license takes precedence of a passport as "legal". After $74,000,000 and 7 years of GW Bush trying to find voter fraud, they found 35 over that period of time, so it's not reasonable for states to spend millions of taxpayer dollars on these laws to prevent a problem that's almost virtually non existent. May well benefit us more to work on election frauds, which seem to be rampant.

PLSzymeczek's picture
PLSzymeczek 2 years 52 weeks ago

We need to move to a system like what exists in Canada. There is a database of every citizen over the age of 18. If you are in that database, you vote. No need to change registration every time you move within the country.

Craig Bush's picture
Craig Bush 2 years 52 weeks ago

I was denied the right to vote and to participate in our democracy. Because of a county election clerk's error and an ommision on a voter registration application I was told that technically I'm not here.

I have been registered to vote here in Santa Cruz Ca since mid 80's. Errors or ommissions should not be reason to deny us our rights. Time should not run out for us. Federal laws with a process of protection would solve these disparities.

I could not run for city council as planned. bushforsccouncil.99k.org But, I have to say that I am here. I have an EBT card. I buy food here. The govt. can track where and what I consume for food. They can't get a voter application right? Technically I'm not here?

We need a federal law to declare election day a federal paid holiday. So we can celebrate our democracy rather then stand in the rain after work to vote. We need weekend long voting. Remember the day when the republicans stole our election of Gore. Remember when chief justice Reinquist with his "Cheshire" cat smile spoke, "Did you really think we were going to allow you to count the votes"? This is an assault on our democracy. We must protect our rights to vote!

Login or register to post comments

Time To Start Treating Guns Like Abortions

It's time we start regulating guns like we regulate abortions.

Because it just makes sense that we regulate these individual rights in the same way.

Because the Supreme Court, in the Heller case, concluded that there is an individual right to own firearms found in the Second Amendment - just like they ruled in Roe v. Wade that there is an individual right to have an abortion found in the Fourth Amendment.

Latest Headlines

Pulitzer Prize Reporter Exposes Trump’s Lack of Wealth, Mob Ties, Failure to Support Charity, and Much More

Author: K.J. McElrath is a former history and social studies teacher who has long maintained a keen interest in legal and social issues (From: www.ringoffireradio.com)

Taxpayers Fund Yet Another Unneeded Building in Afghanistan

The latest disclosure raises the total for surplus buildings uncovered by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction to nearly $42 million

Hillary Clinton email trove shows concern with Netanyahu's psyche

As US secretary of state, Hillary Rodham Clinton spent plenty of time in daunting foreign territory
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce
"Hartmann speaks with the straight talking clarity and brilliance of a modern day Tom Paine as he exposes the intentional and systematic destruction of America’s middle class by an alliance of political con artists and outlines a program to restore it. This is Hartmann at his best. Essential reading for those interested in restoring the institution that made America the envy of the world."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning and When Corporations Rule the World