Thom takes a day off on the day before Independence Day. Wednesday's show is replayed.
Quote: "The spirit of democracy cannot be established in the midst of terrorism, whether governmental or popular." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi.
"You cannot conduct the biggest overhaul in 75 years by trying not to offend too many people. When you're relying on the chairmen of committees on Capitol Hill to help get healthcare reform through, or cap and trade, then you don't want to offend them by removing their turf. Again, what's the hurry? Why not take the time to get this right?"
- The debate goes on, Republican Lindsey Graham over the weekend managed to get in virtually all Frank Luntz' talking points about health care, praised Democrat Kent Conrad. Call Conrad. Social Security, the WPA, the New Deal, Obama's stimulus package, all went through without Republican votes.
- Article: Earth to Bush: The Middle Class is Shrinking, Bernie Sanders, 08/08/2007.
- Would you give up a piece of your pay check to keep your job?
"A senior Chinese official yesterday attacked the planned iron ore joint venture between Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton, raising expectations that Beijing may use its antitrust law to try to scupper the deal.
- How do we make an economy work? How do we make an democracy work?
- It's the 37th anniversary of the Watergate break-in.
- It is not good to have a large disparity of wealth.