February 06 2008 show notes
Feb. 8, 2008 5:58 am
By Thom Hartmann A...
- Show live from AM 1600 WWRL, NYC.
- Guest: Mark Green, president of Air America Radio, former advocate for New York City.
- Yesterday's primaries and caucuses.
- Guest: CNS Editor-in-Chief Terence Jeffrey. Why are Republican candidates running on a Bush platform?
- Guest: Austin Hill. A Conservative take on Obama Republicans.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- Show live from AM 1600 WWRL, NYC.
- The numbers of delegates gained by Hillary and Obama varied considerably from site to site and time to time.
- Guest: Mark Green, president of Air America Radio, former advocate for New York City, author. Hillary's campaign is relieved. They arrogantly said they would win. Women and Latinos sustained her. Thom thinks Obama is going to do better - where he goes he does well, and the schedule is less crowded from now on. When Hillary turns up she holds, because people know her. Al Franken has grown, Norm Coleman held steady. Obama will have the money advantage, but the Clintons are so much deeper in with the superdelegates. Hillary is ahead in the number of voters so far.
- Bumper Music: The High Road, Jojo.
- Mark Crispin Miller forwarded Thom an email from actress Mimi Kennedy who acted as a poll inspector in Los Angeles. She is the National Chair of the Progressive Democrats of America. LA Democrats make up about 40% of the Democratic Party vote, so is vulnerable to caging. For independents there was a little box, "dem box"; if they did not check it, ballot not counted. They were not all told that.
- Bumper Music: World Turned Upside Down, Coldplay.
- Yesterday there were about 10 million Democratic ballots, 6 million Republican, which bodes well for November.
- Article: .
- Thom's book Screwed is available as an audio book.
- Bumper Music: Housing bubble, Dave Girtsman.
- Guest: CNS Editor-in-Chief Terence Jeffrey. Why are Republican candidates running on a Bush platform when Bush is in the tank? He's in the tank because of Iraq, but he also walked away from conservative principles, for example his latest budget. McCain is more interventionalist than Bush, similar to Clinton. What is the Republican Party doing? McCain has been on the opposite side a lot. Big business Republicans would like Romney best. Yesterday's vote was regional mostly, different candidates do better in different regions. Conviction politicians - Reagan, FDR, Lincoln, Washington, John Quincy Adams.
- Bumper Music: Radio, Hackensaw Boys (video).
- Support the show's affiliates, sponsors.
- If superdelegates overthrow the voter's intention, it will put off the new young voters. A brokered convention would make it difficult for the nominee. Obama is better at retail politics.
- Bumper Music: Everything, Alanis Morissette.
- Article: 60 Minutes Caves to Pressure from White House on Siegelman Story.
- Global warming. Latent heat. Particulates.
- Bumper Music: To Try For The Sun, Donovan.
- Article: Book: Head of 9/11 panel had friends in White House.
- Victoria Jones of Talk Radio News. She had two posters on her wall, Marc Bolan and Donovan. Thom and Louise heard him about 5 years ago at a big conference. Elections. Senate Intelligence Committee yesterday, testimony, McConnell said Osama bin Laden is still in control, al Qaeda is "steadily improving its ability to recruit, train and position operatives capable of carrying out attacks in the United States." FISA hearings. Waterboarding hearings. New book out suggesting ties between the September 11 commission's executive director and the White House. CPAC. Primaries coming up. DC is mostly African American. In the Clinton campaign conference call Mark Penn referred to Obama's campaign as the establishment campaign, because they like him, for example Teddy Kennedy.
- Article: Dear. Mr. Obama; You're Right, Austin Hill.
- Guest: Austin Hill, part-time host on the Fox Newstalk Radio Network, author of "White House Confidential: The Little Book Of Weird Presidential History", TownHall, East Valley Tribune columnist. A Conservative take on Obama Republicans. The consensus is that Hillary would be harder to defeat in November. How do we know that this is not part of a plan to screw up Democrats? It's Bill who made it racist. His letter to Obama. Why Republicans don't like John McCain.
- Bumper Music: Let Me Take You There, Plain White Ts.
- Article: John McCain Born in Panama, can he even be President?
- Bumper Music: Calling America, ELO.
- From the chat room: [DonTheGreenDogDemocrat] Thom, actually anybody born on an army base whose parent is stationed there is considered natural born. I am, and I was born in Germany.
- Article: Michelle Obama: I'll "Think About" Supporting Hillary.
"I've always felt the nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." Ronald W. Reagan.
- Article: Bush offers prayers, government help for storm victims.
- Bumper Music: Ain't Talkin', Bob Dylan.
- Tomorrow and Friday Thom will be live from CPAC in Washington DC. On 15th he's in Reno at Borders at 5pm. On the 16th he's in Los Angeles giving a keynote for Mensa.