- Jan. 15, 2021 5:01 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...If their true scam is admitted, the GOP could wander in the wilderness for two generations
It seems inexplicable.
A group of Americans invaded the US Capitol with a plan to kidnap and kill the Vice President and the Speaker of the House, hoping that would throw the Electoral College vote to the US House, where Republicans would declare Donald Trump the winner.
- Jan. 14, 2021 3:49 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Hint: It's all about the money
Some very wealthy people helped put Donald Trump in office, and have continued to subsidize the Trump presidency and those Republicans who enable it.
- Jan. 13, 2021 2:39 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...The GOP's Big Lie is tearing America apart, as Trump expanded it to assault American democracy.
A 40-year Republican Big Lie brought us to this crisis point in America.
When Ronald Reagan was running for president in 1980, one of his biggest boosters was the political heavy hitter Paul Weyrich, who was also a cofounder of the Heritage Foundation and multiple other rightwing think tanks and operations.
Weyrich told a group of political activist in a church basement in Dallas that the GOP was changing their strategy to win elections.
- Jan. 12, 2021 4:36 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...As is laid out in The Hidden History of American Oligarchy, this has been a recurrent battle through the history of America.
It's all one thing, and the oligarchs and fascists aren't done yet. They want complete control of America.
When Donald Trump first ran for president, it was a stunt to squeeze more money out of NBC and to polish his brand.
But when he was unexpectedly elected, he took cues from the corrupt oligarchs he admired around the world and began a serious project to remake and remold America in their image.
- Jan. 11, 2021 4:37 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...While everybody is discussing how the FBI is trying to hold to account those who invaded the US Capitol building and several state capitols on January 6, very few national media outlets are supporting or even discussing the idea of holding the true perpetrators to serious account.
The media narrative today is that "right wing crazies" are the only people involved in this attempt to disrupt Congress and even kidnap or murder some of our elected representatives. But they're missing, almost entirely, the big question: Why did so many people show up?
- Jan. 8, 2021 4:51 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Many people think we've hit peak fascism, but Wednesday was only a bump in the road. Trump, his neofascist followers, and over half the congressional Republican caucus were just pushing the limits to see what they could get away with.
And in the US Capitol, and state capitols around the country that were similarly attacked, Trump's fascist followers learned that the personal price they'd pay for sedition and treason is less than the penalty for drunk driving.
- Jan. 7, 2021 4:20 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Tyrants very rarely leave power voluntarily. In almost every case they've committed so many crimes in the process of acquiring and holding power, and exploiting that power to enrich themselves, their friends and allies, that they know if they step down they will be facing, at the very least, a long stretch in prison.
This is why it's so vital that Donald Trump be removed from power immediately. Be it through the 25th Amendment or immediate articles of impeachment and a vote in the Senate, it must be done.
- Jan. 6, 2021 2:48 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...The New York Times just published a truly shocking article detailing conversations between Donald Trump and Mike Pence.
Essentially, Trump asked Pence to ignore the electoral college votes from a few swing states and thus declare Trump president for the next four years.
- Jan. 5, 2021 2:28 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...The pharmacist in Wisconsin who destroyed 500 doses of coronavirus vaccine did so because he believed they would "alter human DNA," reflecting a popular conspiracy theory on Facebook that has absolutely no basis in fact.
Science, religion, and conspiracy theories are all, essentially the same thing: systems or attempts to explain the unknown, to make sense out of things beyond our senses or immediate, touchable reality. Thus, our vulnerability to conspiracy theories and con artists like Trump.
It's impossible for any individual to know or understand everything. We believe electrons make our computers work, but for all but a few scientists who've actually seen and measured electrons, it's only a belief. We must trust their word.
- Jan. 5, 2021 7:27 amBy Thom Hartmann A...Pundits across the American political spectrum are wringing their hands about the fate and future of the "dirty dozen" Republican senators challenging Biden's election.
One of the most widespread stories about their motivation is that they're "afraid of Trump" or are "worried about being primaried." Both ideas are wrong.