- Jul. 8, 2020 3:28 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...About 75 percent of Americans trusted the federal government to "do what is right" when polled during most of the last years of the Eisenhower administration and early years of Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency.
In 2019, when the Pew Research Center released its most recent poll of public trust in the government, only 17 percent of Americans trusted their government. It's so bad that armed protesters have shown up nationwide to protest the "tyranny" of having to wear masks during a pandemicâ€¦ and have been cheered on by the president of the United States and Fox News.
- Jul. 7, 2020 2:40 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...England is debating a wealth tax. America, as tax revenues crash and the need for government services explodes, needs to consider one, too.
If you own a home, every year you must pay a wealth tax.
The majority of the wealth held by middle and working class Americans is in their homes. And every year, every homeowner must pay a tax on their wealth in the form of a state and local property tax.
Can Americans Stop the Republican Party and Their Billionaire Lifeline Before Another Hundred Thousand Americans Die?Jul. 6, 2020 2:44 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Can Americans Stop the Republican Party and Their Billionaire Lifeline Before Another Hundred Thousand Americans Die?
If a group of international billionaires who don't like democracy, business regulation, or the idea of a functioning multiracial culture wanted to hire somebody to destroy America, they couldn't have done better than Donald Trump.
- Jul. 6, 2020 8:46 amBy Thom Hartmann A...
- Jul. 2, 2020 4:20 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...This morning on CNN a physician in Texas talked about having 10 young people with COVID-19 who needed immediate hospitalization and only having three beds left. He had to decide who is going to get treatment and who was going to be turned away from the hospital.
- Jul. 1, 2020 5:43 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Every time in American history there was the possibility of serious movement forward in civil and human rights, there has been a backlash by white racists resulting in new monuments to the Confederacy.
The Confederacy, of course, was the police state oligarchy that took over the American South in the 1820s and committed treason against the United States of America, killing hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and civilians in the process.
- Jun. 30, 2020 4:41 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Republicans are starting to behave as if they have figured out that Donald Trump is an incompetent, malicious, lying, white supremacist, dictator-loving racist whose stupidity and spite have led to the death of over 100,000 Americans, a number that will hit a quarter million by the time of the election.
Fact is, they've known this all along. They were shouting it during the primary back in 2016.
- Jun. 29, 2020 4:23 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...It appears there is at least one branch of the federal government that Donald Trump has been unable to corrupt. So far.
He put loyal toadies who would lie and cheat for him over at the Department of Justice with William Barr, at EPA and Interior with a couple of fossil fuel lobbyists, at the FCC with a Verizon lawyer, at the Department of Education with a billionaire hack who hates public schools, and he even a former defense lobbyist in charge of the Pentagon.
- Jun. 25, 2020 5:33 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Two weeks after America diagnosed its first case of COVID-19, Republicans in the United States Senate (with the single exception of Mitt Romney) refuse to vote to impeach Donald Trump.
- Jun. 24, 2020 4:20 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Impeaching Attorney General Bill Barr won't just protect us from a corrupt senior law-enforcement official; it will also strengthen our protection against the dangerous, autocratic tendencies of Donald Trump.
Trump famously asked once, "Where is my Roy Cohn?" He has found that person, that corrupt lawyer, in William Barr.