Here's what the feud and reconciliation between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson can teach us about civilityJun. 14, 2019 8:03 amBy Thom Hartmann A...Donald Trump did not invent the art of the political insult but he's inflamed the level of vitriolic public discourse and incivility to a new low unmatched by other presidents. In a tainted tradition that has permeated our history, other presidents have not been immune to dishing out acerbic insults against one another.
- Jun. 13, 2019 2:58 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...The massive inequality we are now experiencing in the United States has a singular source. It started with the Reagan tax cut that took tax rates on the wealthiest Americans from 74%, where it had been for two generations, and lowered it to 25%.
- Jun. 13, 2019 7:06 amBy Thom Hartmann A...Little did Madison, Jefferson, or Henry realize that one day in the future, weapons-manufacturing corporations, newly defined as "persons" by a dysfunctional Supreme Court, would use his slave-patrol militia amendment to protect their "right" to manufacture and sell guns to individuals who would use them to murder schoolchildren
- Jun. 12, 2019 2:58 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...America is divided. With one single exception, every state is entirely under the control of one party or the other. A large part of this divide is being driven by big money propping up the Republican Party so that they can get lower taxes and less protections for the public, also known as regulations.
- Jun. 5, 2019 8:50 amBy Thom Hartmann A...The day after the Virginia beach shooting, the largest mass shooting this year, a spokeswoman for the NRA publicly argued that they had no role in the shooting.
- Jun. 4, 2019 1:41 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...People are asking why the shooter in Virginia Beach used a gun to settle his workplace score. The answer is probably pretty simple.
When a man has a gun, he literally holds the power of life and death in his hand. That kind of power is extraordinarily seductive.
- Jun. 3, 2019 3:16 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Donald Trump arrived in London and immediately tweeted about how upset he was that he couldn't watch his beloved Fox News and attacked CNN.
- May. 31, 2019 3:27 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Donald Trump is basing his reelection on two primary issues: trade and immigration. At their core, both are being sold as jobs issues, and, historically, both have been. American workers know that employers have given many of their jobs to non-citizens who are willing to work cheaper.
- May. 31, 2019 2:25 amBy Thom Hartmann A..."[Americans'] patriotism would certainly prefer its [tariffs'] continuance and application to the great purposes of the public education, roads, rivers, canals, and such other objects of public improvement as it may be thought proper to add to the constitutional enumeration of federal powers."
- May. 30, 2019 2:14 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...The only reason Donald Trump isn't facing a prosecutor and time in prison right now is because back in 1973 Richard Nixon's Department of Justice said that they could not indict Nixon because the job of being president was so important.