Trump’s Ruthless Plan to Stomp Out Democracy in 2024Feb. 22, 2021 6:57 amBy Thom Hartmann A...Trump still has majority Republican support; most are ready and willing for a 2024 authoritarian coup
When Republicans in the United States Senate refused to convict Donald Trump of his crimes against democracy, they set up his comeback plans for 2024. Odds are he'll be either making an announcement at the upcoming CPAC conference, or at least will strongly hint at it.
Texas Proves Libertarianism Doesn't WorkFeb. 20, 2021 6:52 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Of course Ted Cruz left for Cancun: when government fails, it's party time for libertarian Republicans!
Here's the one question that always stops libertarians dead in their tracks when they come on or call into my radio/TV program to proclaim the wonders of their political ideology:
Lucy, the Football, and "Bipartisanship"Feb. 19, 2021 4:20 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Biden needs to avoid the old rope-a-dope
"Bipartisanship" is the word of the day. But what the hell does that mean?
News commentators are asking Democrats on TV, as happened to Patrick Leahy on CNN this morning, "Without bipartisanship, won't will further divide the country?"
As Texas Shows, the GOP Big Lie Strategy has Already Destroyed Much of AmericaFeb. 18, 2021 3:23 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...When politics are based on lies, fascism thrives
- Republicans and their media are lying right now about why people are dying from the cold in Texas.
- The GOP has been embracing lies instead of policy since the Reagan Revolution.
- It's become a way of life for Republican politicians.
- As a consequence, Republican voters are among the most misinformed people in America.
- When the electorate believes lies, democracy doesn't work.
- The Libertarian billionaires who own the Republican Party don't believe in democracy, so this is working out exactly the way they want.
- This is a formula for the destruction of democracy and the rise of fascism.
Democrats Should Add Three States Now: Turnabout, as the old saying goes, is fair playFeb. 17, 2021 5:39 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...And Dems should channel GOP talking points from when that Party added four states.
- By 2040, 50% of America will live in 8 democratically-controlled states and only be represented by 16 out of 100 US Senators, creating an unbeatable majority for the GOP.
- During the Civil War Abraham Lincoln & the GOP added Nevada, for purely partisan reasons, when it didn't qualify as a state. They did it again with Colorado and both Dakotas, just to add Republicans to the Senate.
- Adding Washington DC and Puerto Rico as states will not only help the senate reflect who America is, but also gives representation to Americans who currently have no voice.
- With a balanced Senate, impeachment, Medicare For All, the end of student debt and a Green New Deal would all be done.
Our Fossil Fuel Addiction is leading to "Bomb Cyclones" & FaminesFeb. 16, 2021 4:38 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...This week's wild weather is a glimpse of what's to come if we don't get our carbon omissions under control.
Famine, already stalking humans across the globe, could soon appear right here at home and in Europe, and this week's wild weather is a small taste of how it would play out.
It all tracks back to our fossil fuel addiction, which has been warming our atmosphere since the 1860s, and is now messing with atmospheric and oceanic rivers of warm and cold water and air.
Full-Blown Fascism: Is America Teetering on the Brink?Feb. 16, 2021 4:08 amBy Thom Hartmann A...You can only see fascism in the rear-view mirror and then it's too late…
History shows that most democratic nations don't realize how serious their fascism problem is until it overtakes them altogether. We saw it in the 1930s in Italy, Germany, Spain and Japan; today it's happened in Hungary, Turkey, Egypt, Russia, The Philippines and Brazil, and is well underway in Poland, India and multiple smaller countries.
Here in America, the GOP today has a serious fascism problem, and it's endangering all of us. It's closer than most of us realize.
Democrats Must Unpack the Courts NowFeb. 15, 2021 12:30 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...After 6 years of McConnell's court-packing, we must restore balance to the federal judiciary
Unable to win a majority of votes nationally or in most states, Republicans have resorted to gerrymandering, voter suppression and the federal court system to promote their racist, misogynistic, anti-labor, monopolist and pro-billionaire policies.
Did Trump Think His Mob Had Taken Pence Hostage?Feb. 14, 2021 2:43 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Was his tweet a call to "take out" Pence?
What if Donald Trump actually hoped that his mob would murder Vice President Mike Pence and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi?
What if he believed such a crime would create a crisis big enough to let him declare a state of emergency, shut down the government for a transition period through that emergency, and retain his position as President moving into the new year?
Famous Medical Journal Calls Out the GOP Death CultFeb. 13, 2021 3:01 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...While the world is shocked, Americans are not — here's why…
The Lancet is arguably the most respected medical journal in the world. Founded in 1823, its reputation is impeccable and it only publishes science that's peer-reviewed and scientifically sound. Which is why their indictment of the last four years of Republican rule under Trump, McConnell, and McCarthy is particularly shocking.