- Nov. 23, 2020 3:36 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...It's becoming increasingly clear to Americans that the Republican Party only stands for one thing: the privilege and power of wealthy white men.
Over the last 40 years they have devised increasingly byzantine rules to prevent low income whites and people of color from voting and are now trying to outright throw out ballots in Detroit, Philadelphia and Atlanta.
- Nov. 19, 2020 4:53 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...America is confronting a crisis like we haven't seen since 1930, and, just as happened during the Republican Great Depression (yes, that's what they called it in the 1930s), the GOP is committed to making it worse.
The Republican Party's latest 2020 scam gives Trump a tiny chance of hanging onto the White House while doing massive, permanent damage to American democracy and, as if they consider it a bonus, kneecapping and, in some cases, killing working class and poor Americans.
- Nov. 18, 2020 4:05 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...America's rightwing billionaires comfortably hang out on their massive estates, giving instant Covid tests to their live-in servants, while using the word "freedom" to describe their lifestyle in the rightwing media they own or support.
- Nov. 17, 2020 3:41 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...All across America today, millions of people are terrified. And it's not just fear of getting a deadly COVID illness that often leads to strokes, dementia, long-term heart disease, and kidney failure.
Over 30 million Americans are unemployed, and because of repeated Republican cuts, the unemployment benefits for many run out at the end of the year. Since early summer, we've been adding another 700,000 or so people to those rolls every month.
- Nov. 12, 2020 4:06 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...The Founders' greatest fear, when it came to the president, was that a man would be installed in the office who was in debt to, or loyal to a foreign government. It's why they put the Foreign Emoluments ban in the Constitution.
Jared Kushner visited with the Saudi's and the UAE just before they blockaded Qatar; within a few months an investment fund heavily financed by Qatar gave Kushner the billion dollars he desperately needed to save his failing real estate empire, and the blockade ended.
- Nov. 11, 2020 4:06 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Republican threats to have individual states choose electors for Donald Trump even though their citizens voted for Joe Biden are not about this election; they're about putting a fascist in the White House in 2024.
And the reason Republican elected officials across the country are letting this drag out, even though they know Trump has no chance because Biden's margin of victory is so large, is to see how far they can push this in anticipation of 2024. This is a test.
- Nov. 10, 2020 4:02 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Either he's dragging this out so he can raise money to line his own pockets, or he's coordinating with the billionaire donors who largely own a number of Republican state legislatures to steal the election. Or both.
The Constitution says that individual states' legislators can award their electoral votes to whomever they choose; it just takes an act of the state's legislature, in most states signed by the governor. It's never happened, but it is constitutional.
Meanwhile, election law and practical reality say that Trump can only continue to raise money from his donors if the election is still "live": so long as he doesn't concede.
- Nov. 9, 2020 4:01 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...We're coming out of one of the darkest times in American history, certainly the darkest time in the memory of most living Americans.
Fear and hate have been the dominant national emotions during the last two Republican presidencies. They were used to lie us into a war in Iraq, and to tear us apart from each other for the last four years.
Joe Biden becoming president means that we can focus on making life better for American citizens, rather than trying to demonize each other.
- Nov. 5, 2020 4:01 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...When Donald Trump first decided to run for president, he confided to friends that his real goal was to get publicity for his brand and squeeze a larger payment out of NBC for his TV show. He even bragged that he'd be the first person to make money running for the White House.
Once he unexpectedly won, he turned that into a business opportunity, redirecting over $100 million of government money into his own properties and businesses.
Now, with the possibility of losing the presidency, he's setting up his Plan B, his next business opportunity.