- Nov. 3, 2020 5:51 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...America needs an absolute right to vote, like most other major democracies.
One legacy of slavery is that our Constitution does not contain an absolute right to vote for all citizens who have achieved the age of majority.
- Nov. 2, 2020 4:36 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Fascists build walls, like they did around East Germany. Donald Trump is building a new, unscalable wall around the White House today, and the Republican party has spent the past four years celebrating a wall on our southern border.
Fascists divide and imprison people based on ideology and race. Trump and the Republicans have put children in cages after tearing them away from their mothers, and built out a private for-profit prison system to hold refugees of color.
- Oct. 29, 2020 4:49 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...On April 18, Bob Woodward recorded Jared Kushner saying that Trump had taken control away from the doctors and was going to open the country back up. But why then? What was happening right around that time?
Trump's official national emergency declaration came on March 13, and most of the country shut down or at least went partway toward that outcome. The economy crashed and millions of Americans were laid off, but saving lives was, after all, the number one consideration.
- Oct. 28, 2020 4:40 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Trump doesn't care how many people in Omaha were stranded for hours in the freezing cold, over 3 miles from the nearest road or parking lot, after he's left his rally, putting some in the hospital. And he clearly doesn't care how many people die of Covid.
One of the defining characteristics of a sociopath is that they view themselves as the only "real" humans on the planet, and everybody else is basically a prop in the amazing story of their lives.
- Oct. 27, 2020 4:21 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Democrats must prepare for the Supreme Court's second try at installing an illegitimate president The Supreme Court has awesome power, and now that there's a 6-to-3 right-wing majority, they're preparing to use that power like a sledgehammer.
In 2000, they put popular-vote-loser George W. Bush into the White House, and Brett Kavanaugh just signaled to Donald Trump that he's enthusiastic to be part of a second such effort.
- Oct. 26, 2020 3:56 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...In America, the country that is supposed to be the world's premier democratic republic, citizens do not have an absolute right to vote.
Because we don't have a right to vote, red state governors can radically cut back on the number of polling places and voting machines so that working class people are forced to stand in line for five, six, in some cases 10 hours to vote.
- Oct. 22, 2020 2:25 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...A new study from Columbia University lays the deaths of tens to hundreds of thousands of Americans at the feet of the Trump administration and the Republican party.
Comparing the United States to other developed countries, they laid out how our lack of a systemic federal response to the coronavirus has endangered Americans.
- Oct. 20, 2020 4:15 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Only an established, legal "right to vote" can defeat Republican voter suppression.
Republican politicians and conservative commentators are shocked, shocked! that Chief Justice John Roberts would say that people who voted before election day in Pennsylvania but their ballots were delayed by Lewis DeJoy's sabotage of the Post Office should have their vote counted.
- Oct. 19, 2020 5:22 pmBy Thom Hartmann A...Covid infections now represent the third leading cause of death in America. This is an extremely contagious, crippling and deadly disease.
On top of that, there's a growing legion of people who call themselves "long haulers," who have been seriously disabled by Covid and are unable to live a normal life because of severe chronic fatigue, screaming nerve pain, and other chronic conditions.