- Guest: David Horowitz. Right Wing Brings Down Progressive College President.
- Obama's and Hillary's remarks after yesterday's primaries.
- FISA bills.
- Guest: Michael O'Hanlon. When will conservatives acknowledge victory in the Iraq war and talk about ending the occupation?
- Guest: John Pinkston. Is American headed for a "One World Government"?
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- In the Potomac primaries, Obama had a decisive win, he had voters in every group.
- Guest: David Horowitz, author, "The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party". Topic: Right Wing Succeeds In Campaign To Bring Down Progressive College President. Thom and Horowitz met at CPAC. He said Obama is going to be the nominee. The number of white females voting for him was the most significant statistic. Dick Morris said Hillary was a shoe-in because of them back in spring. He was rooting for Hillary s she would be easier to beat. McCain was saying vote for Huckabee. As Thom said on his blog,
This morning I challenged David Horowitz about the removal of the President from William and Mary College by the political right...the very campus Thomas Jefferson attended. I asked him if the "political correctness right" has turned into a brown shirt movement? David blamed the left for the existence of the Christian Right...claiming there wasn't a Christian Right until Roe v.Wade became law. I politely reminded him that there's always been a Christian Right...they used to be called the Ku Klux Klan. ..and before that it was the Puritans hanging women as witches in Massachusetts in the 1600s!
Gene Nichol, president - until yesterday - of the College of William and Mary, to which Jefferson went, resigned because the board did not renew his contract. History of the the College. Nichol moved the Wren cross back out of the chapel. Thom goes to chapels in airports. The campaign was lead by Newt Gingrich's political director.
- Bumper Music: Another Brick in The Wall, Pink Floyd.
- Carved into the stone of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC: "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny imposed upon the mind of man."
- "DEAR SIR, - ... I promised you a letter on Christianity, which I have not forgotten," Jefferson wrote, noting that he knew to discuss the topic would add fuel to the fires of electoral politics swirling all around him. "I do not know that it would reconcile the genus irritabile vatum [the angry poets] who are all in arms against me. Their hostility is on too interesting ground to be softened.
"The delusion ...on the clause of the Constitution, which, while it secured the freedom of the press, covered also the freedom of religion, had given to the clergy a very favorite hope of obtaining an establishment of a particular form of Christianity through the United States; and as every sect believes its own form the true one, every one perhaps hoped for his own, but especially the Episcopalians and Congregationalists.
"The returning good sense of our country threatens abortion to their hopes, and they [the preachers] believe that any portion of power confided to me [such as his being elected President], will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough too in their opinion."
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Dr. Benjamin Rush Monticello, September 23, 1800.
- Bumper Music: Forty Hour Week (For A Livin'), Alabama (video).
"You know, there's a great saying in Texas -- you've all heard it -- "all hat and no cattle." Well, after seven years of George Bush, we need a lot less hat and a lot more cattle."
Hillary Clinton's Remarks on Feb. 12 Primaries.
"It's a game where lobbyists write check after check and Exxon turns record profits, while you pay the price at the pump and our planet is put at risk. That's what happens when lobbyists set the agenda, and that's why they won't drown out your voices anymore when I am president of the United States of America.
It's a game where trade deals, like NAFTA, ship jobs overseas and force parents to compete with their teenagers to work for minimum wages at the local fast-food joint or at Wal-Mart.
It's what happens when the American worker doesn't have a voice at the negotiating table, when leaders change their positions on trade with the politics of the moment, and that is why we need a president who will listen not just to Wall Street, but to Main Street, a president who will stand with workers not just when it's easy, but when it's hard, and that's the kind of president I intend to be when I'm president of the United States of America."
Barack Obama's Remarks on Feb. 12 Primaries.
- Hillary's "all hat and no cattle" wasn't a strong statement of policy. A strong populist statement from Obama was about lobbyists and NAFTA.
- Bumper Music: Till we get it right, Richard Aberdeen.
- Bumper Music: Polonium 209, Capitol Steps.
- Article: Police declare London death of Putin's billionaire enemy 'suspicious'.
- Thom's flies to Reno on Thursday. On Friday 15th he's in Reno at Borders at 5pm. On Saturday 16th he's in Los Angeles giving a keynote for Mensa, tickets only.
- Bush yesterday praised the Senate yesterday. There's a vote to extend FISA for 21 days. Bush says he will veto it. John Boehner called for motions to adjourn, shot down.
- Article: Iraq's Progress Report, Michael O'Hanlon.
- "My fellow Americans: major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."
George W. Bush, May 1, 2003, Remarks by the President from the USS Abraham Lincoln
- Guest: Michael O'Hanlon, Brookings. Iraq war - When are conservatives going to acknowledge victory in the war and talk about ending the occupation? Iraq scorecard. Bush declared victory on the USS Abraham Lincoln. When will language reflect reality? He's not a conservative, but a moderate hawkish democrat. Kissinger said the US should leave, let place sort itself out. He did not agree. He said security comes first.
- Bumper Music: War, Edwin Starr.
- Congratulations. Donna Edwards was supported by the Progressive Democrats of America, on whose board Thom is, and she beat the 8 term incumbent very conservative Democrat in the primary.
- Bumper Music: My Wish, Rascal Flatts.
" I hope the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
and each road leads you where you wanna go,
and if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
if it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile.
But more than anything, more than anything...
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,"
your dreams stay big, your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
and while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.
My wish for you is that your life become everything it can be and that we can collectively heal this planet of the damage of what professor Jack Forbes, the professor of Native American studies at the University of California, Davis, once told me he referred to in his native language, his Native American language, as wétiko, this mental illness of "let's consume the planet" and produce waste and to hell with the future and forget about future generations, etcetera, etcetera.
- Bumper Music: Crazy, Gnarls Barkley.
- Article: Bloodied 70-year-old woman cuffed for having a brown lawn. When people living in a house where Thom and Louise had an apartment were reported for not having mown the lawn, they made plaques for the weeds with their names and created an herb garden and nature walk. The city backed down.
- Bumper Music: People As Places As People, Modest Mouse.
- Article: Giuliani hits the lecture circuit.
- Article: Sportsmen come out in favor climate change legislation.
- Article: Encounter with Rove inspires Sheryl Crow’s new album.
- Article: Upcoming Dolly Parton tour is a bust.
- Obama took on NAFTA last night. It's a major step.
- "Everything You Know is Wrong": Guest: John Pinkston, retired USAF Lt. Colonel, founder and president and pastor of the Congregation of God Seventh Day, author of several books including The Hidden Truth About Marriage, Idolatry, America’s Sin, The Ten Commandments. He's the weekly voice of the "Watch America" radio and TV shows. Is American headed for a "One World Government"? Revelations? Both secular and Revelations - that's not religious that's like a news event tat's in our future. It's in the Old Testament as well. It's going to be broken down into 10 world regions. It was mapped out in Rome in 1974. UN. NAFTA. Neither party is addressing it.
- Bumper Music: Mysterious Ways, U2.
- Clip: McCain laughs, Sings Bomb Iran.
- Bumper Music: Bomb Iran, Vince Vance & The Valiants.
"I have long told you, for example, Undeniable Truth of Life No. 24, written back in 1987: Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society. And even to this day, people pooh-poohed this and say it's insensitive: "How can you possibly say something like that?" Well, because I mean it, because I believe there's something to it."
The "Truth" according to Limbaugh: Feminism established "to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society".
"Women, are you fed up with men calling the shots? Are you looking for a new weapon in the war of the sexes? You need the Hillary Clinton testicle lock box. You can finally grab the power that's keeping Hillary Clinton safe from tough media questions. The Hillary Rodham Clinton testicle lock box."
Limbaugh: "We created this whole concept of a testicle lockbox in connection with Mrs. Clinton".
- Bumper Music: Heroes and Friends, Randy Travis.
- Ellen Ratner of Talk Radio News.The Bluedog Democrats have hooked up with Boehner, will do the same as Senate on the FISA bill. Pelosi is not strong enough. If Hillary or Obama or McCain don't change it, it goes on for 6 years. Obama's idea about an infrastructure bank, Hillary said she and Dodd and Hegel proposed it. The only debate is in Texas. The House Homeland Security hearing, Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), chairman of the Homeland Security Committee went after the chief about border and port security. Rice was at Senate Foreign Relations, Biden took after her, she did not answer the question, as usual.
- Coming up tomorrow: Valentine's Day. Guests include Carrie L. Lukas, Vice President for Policy and Economics, Independent Women's Forum, author of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Women, Sex, and Feminism on rescuing romance, and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, author of The Broken American Male: And How to Fix Him.