June 06 2008 show notes
Jun. 10, 2008 11:38 am
By Thom Hartmann A...
- Show live from the Talkers New Media Seminar, New York City.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont.
- Guest: Dan Hynes, 3 term Illinois Comptroller. He ran against Obama, but later called for him to run for president.
- 'Anything Goes' Friday.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- Show live from the Talkers New Media Seminar, New York City.
- Article: McCain Supports Bush's Warrantless Wiretaps.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. Oil prices, heating in winter, profits. Oil speculation. Global warming 48-36 this morning, Senate voted to go forward on bill, but not 60 votes to end debate, so it's over for this year, the Republicans filibustered. It was not a strong bill, but could have amended. Alternative energies. move away from foreign oil and fossil fuels. Search for oil led us into Iraq. Energy independence. Veterans. This week, VA not addressing PTSD, suicide, etc. There is the beginning of some discussion on defense. Cap and trade. Every day we don't deal with global warming will cost us more, lead to severe economic downturns, increased strife, we do not have a choice. If we are aggressive we can avert this. Iraqis protesting about the Bush plan to continue there. 49,000 jobs lost in May. The war is costing $12 billion a month that our kids and grandkids will have to pay. Passive solar was being sold 30 years ago. Carter had tax credits. Active solar. Installation of passive solar would be good for construction. Why do people need a street address to get a post office box?
Hysteria that Democrats are for restrictive gun laws. McCain will continue Bush's policies. It is fear mongering. Oil speculation. Deficits, individual and government. The money is looking for a home, you can buy a lot on a small margin. Enron loophole. Rockefeller intelligence hearing. What is going to be done? Need 60 votes. We need to elect a new president, etc, strong enough to stand up to powerful interests. Subprime mortgages, let people sell their own mortgages? The issue will be up in a week or two. Cchinese drilling off florida with 1960s technology? Better for us to do it with clean technology? Bernie had not heard. Isn't the oil rise due to the dollar? Only partly. Solar. We need self sustainable, not big plants. Bernie thinks it is not either/or. Feed in tariff. Germany's solar.
- Bumper Music: Big Yellow Taxi, Counting Crows. (video).
- Somebody hacked into Thom's PC while he was at the UN yesterday using wi-fi. Now it is as dead as a doornail.
- Guest: Dan Hynes, 3 term Illinois Comptroller. He ran against Obama, but later called for him to run for president. People see in Obama what they want to see, like a Rorschach test. Who is Barack Obama? A phenomenon, enormous talent. People would like to hang out with him. His legislative accomplishments.
- Nuclear power. The Price-Anderson Nuclear Industries Indemnity Act. French nuclear waste.
- Article: Obama becomes rising star among Democrats. MSNBC documentary.
- McCain raised $21 million last month, the RNC $23.7 million. Obama will not take money from PACs and lobbyists.
- Economic woes started under Reagan. Ac aller asked, how about science? Drug war. HIV, AIDS. Open scientific debate to reappraise. There are people who die of AIDS who do not have HIV. A lot could be due to pharmeaceutcals. Drugs help some, harm others. Variety of diseases. Pellagra. She said we feed starving Africans corn which is deficient. Thom delivered rice, not corn.
- Why can't we construct technology to do what photosynthesis does?
- Bumper Music: Ain't No Reason, Brett Dennen (video).
- John McCain voted against the GI bill. The military say he is 100% disabled, he gets $58k a year tax free. His wife is worth $100 million bucks, plus he gets senator's pay. Yet he says he is not so disabled that he can be president.
- A Ron Paul/Obama ticket would be a disaster, Paul's Libertarian and Obama's a liberal. The Libertarians will take a lot of votes away from McCain whether Paul was on the ticket or not. He would do away with so much: the Social Security administration, federal aid to education, federal aid to highways and infrastructure, he would privatize the national air traffic control system, he would be in favor of more private contractors doing more and more of our military functions. No country has ever functioned using the Libertarian model. Only decriminalising pot and consensual sex makes them sound like liberals. They see government as a separate entity, like kings. Government is us in America. Young people don't get it, and were flocking to Ron Paul's campaign.
- Solar power. Clean energy combo. Rooftop and vehicle tax bundle, contract? It's all about packaging and marketing. With Newt Gingrich's PNAC, 6 out of 10 items were tax cuts for the wealthy.
- Anti-union ads, anti-labor lobby. Obama will pass card check.
- They are getting people used to military and military-style police operations in the city streets.
- Will money donated to Obama's campaign go to retiring Hillary's debt? While she was attacking Obama, she was bringing in more voters and drawing more attention to him as well as her. Thom thinks it was a net positive.
- Article: Message from David Plouffe: The biggest news you HAVEN'T heard. Obama's Campaign Manager.
- Bumper Music: I Want to Know, The Mavericks.
- Quote: "The only way to deal with the Indian problem in South Dakota is to put a gun to the AIM leaders' heads and pull the trigger.", William Janklow.
- Norman Coleman got elected because Paul Wellstone's plane crashed. Ted Kennedy was supposed to be in the plane. Thom's instructor used to use put small refrigerator magnets under the dash to confuse instruments, but on the other hand, flying is dangerous - as Thom's insurance premiums testified.
- Book: The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot, Russell Kirk.
- Ronald Reagan. Russell Kirk. Burke.
- Bumper Music: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Thanks.
- Comparison of the health care of Ted Kennedy, people in the UK, the average American. Millionaires will always get the best health care money can buy. Most think universal healthcare is socialised.