July 18 2008 show notes
Jul. 27, 2008 6:14 pm
By Thom Hartmann A...
- Show live from WTKG, Grand Rapids, MI.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont.
- Guest: Sue Levy, UAW program coordinator, and one of group that does weekly show, "Working West Michigan," an hour-long weekly radio show airing on Tuesdays on WTKG
- "Anything goes" Friday.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- Show live from WTKG, Grand Rapids, MI, Thom's first Clear Channel affiliate. Tonight 6:30-7:30pm, book signing & dinner buffet courtesy of Lanning's Catering at the UAW Regional Offices.
- Article: The wrecking crew: How a gang of right-wing con men destroyed Washington and made a killing, Thomas Frank.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. Bernie was at an airport. On Monday he looked at the New York Times, there were stories about high energy prices, fear of banks collapsing, Afghanistan, housing, inflation, health care, debt, all the problems the Bush Administration has caused. The good news is that many people understand, want a change. Study of rankings. There was a hurricane headed towards NYC on 9/11 and nobody was told?
Impeachment, Bugliosi, if Bush pardoned people, can Congress or the Supreme Court roll back pardons? Lack of effectiveness of Congress. This week they did not achieve a whole lot because of Republicans filibustering; they need 60 votes. LIHEAP. Republicans objected to unanimous consent. It is important to go to districts, town halls. We need more progressive democrats. Erosion of co-equal branches of government eroded. Cynicism is understandable, but not an answer. Push Obama when he is elected.
McCain, offshore oil. The USA would have to put it on the world market, compete to get it back, so create a national oil company? What we could do today - address speculation, windfall profits tax, energy efficiency, sustainable energy more cost effective. Peter DeFazio's legislation. T Boone Pickens' plan for wind, solar. Texas is investing in wind, transmission lines. After the Enron collapse, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 was passed. Are we going through the same things again? Phil Gramm, Enron loophole deregulated energy trading. 70% of the intelligence budget goes to private companies. Thomas Frank's "The Wrecking Crew". Companies are getting out of it by going private. Liechtenstein informant. Federal reserve board. Greenspan isn't looking so good. Many judges got there because of the GI Bill. Medicaid part D donut hole.
- Bumper Music: Our Country, Jim Mellancamp.
- Bumper Music: Shout Out Loud, Amos Lee.
- Bumper Music: What is Truth, Johnny Cash.
- Guest: Sue Levy, UAW program coordinator, and one of group that does weekly show, "Working West Michigan," an hour-long weekly radio show airing on Tuesdays on WTKG featuring a regular panel of guests from the West Michigan Friends of Labor Committee as well as special guests each week. Union jobs. There are links to the various labor organization on the show's web page. Labor issues.
- Article: GOP cyber-security expert suggests Diebold tampered with 2002 election, Larisa Alexandrovna and Muriel Kane.
- Article: The Theft of Your Vote is Just a Chip Away, Thom Hartmann, July 30 '03.
- "Anything goes" Friday.
- Why has the anthrax terrorist not been found? The 2 men who were affected were the 2 who could stop the Patriot Act. 9/11. David Ray Griffin has been on the show. Thom and Louise are staying with family, sharing a bedroom with a ferocious kitten that Louise wants to adopt.
- Bumper Music: What Do Ya Think About That, Montgomery Gentry.
- Thom traveled all over word for Ultimate Sacrifice, it took 18 years and was turned into a 1 hour NBC special. Before the book, Thom thought it was the CIA. Bugliosi disagrees with Thom, there is still debate after 40 years as to who killed JFK. Nobody has the truth about 9/11. Thom does not have a clue, we need to find out about it, and anthrax, and why exit polls stopped working in the USA. Thom's article for MoveOn about it, 18,100 votes. Larisa's research. 9/11, anthrax, voting machines not talked about.
- Obama inconsistencies, on leaving contractors in Iraq, FISA. Obama has only flip flopped on the FISA filibuster, not generally a flip flopper. McCain is. We have got to get active, tell Obama we have his back.
- Bumper Music: If George Only Had a Brain, Bill Jacobs.
- Thom is to be on Fox tomorrow morning with Mike Gallagher about Iraq.
- McCain vs. Obama. There were not the votes for a FISA filibuster. Political decision to vote for it. Gun control. Widespread poverty. The best solution is a job, but Republicans are exporting them. Insane laws that go back to Nelson Rockefeller or Harry Anslinger, prohibition, so-called war on drugs.
- Voting machines. Weaning people getting a proper count. Siegelman.
- High gas prices; in the US, money goes into corporate pockets, elsewhere some goes to infrastructure etc. Get Americans to pay more if it is doing them good? We're paying $10 including military costs. It takes time to recalibrate, people who have to drive long distances would be whacked, need to deal with transition. Airlines losing money, not raising prices, talking about bankruptcy, so can renegotiate staff contracts? The CEOs asked Congress to do something. Air prices going up. Thom is still finding deals. For a deal get online at midnight 01 for that day's flights.
- Why not going after speculators? There are 2 groups doing it, big oil because they are withholding supply, sitting on permits, and average Americans whose mutual funds, etc. are buying stock in oil companies.
- Memes. If Mukasey, etc. believe in waterboarding, torture, would they do it to women terrorists? They tortured a child, there was a video recently.
- Bumper Music: Signs, Five Man Electrical Band.
- Reaction to monosodium glutamate.
- Corporate anarchy.
- Obama voted yes on FISA, complete capitulation. Democrats are successful collaborators, not weak opposition. What is Obama doing? We need to get inside the Democratic Party and change it.
- To reduce gas usage, plug in to electricity using the sun - solar sun shades in windows? Thom subscribes to Homepower magazine. We are in 3rd generation solar, where the technology is printed on. Sun visors. Wind shields. Ink on car. Al Gore right, we can do it in 10 years.
- Andrew Rice is running against James Inhofe. Thom waits until after the primary before having people on the show.
- Bumper Music: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Thanks.
- Article: "General Time Horizon" Eyed For Troop Cuts.
- Article: Statement by the Press Secretary on Iraq.
"In the area of security cooperation, the President and the Prime Minister agreed that improving conditions should allow for the agreements now under negotiation to include a general time horizon for meeting aspirational goals -- such as the resumption of Iraqi security control in their cities and provinces and the further reduction of U.S. combat forces from Iraq. The President and Prime Minister agreed that the goals would be based on continued improving conditions on the ground and not an arbitrary date for withdrawal. The two leaders welcomed in this regard the return of the final surge brigade to the United States this month, and the ongoing transition from a primary combat role for U.S. forces to an overwatch role, which focuses on training and advising Iraqi forces, and conducting counter-terror operations in support of those forces."
- Victoria Jones of Talk Radio News. The White House said this morning that Bush and Maliki agreed to establish a time line for withdrawal. Interesting language. "the President and the Prime Minister agreed that improving conditions should allow for the agreements now under negotiation to include a general time horizon for meeting aspirational goals". "Aspirational" - does Maliki realize what it means? Pelosi says the president will not veto the housing bill. How does she know? Phil Gramm is still on McCain's team according to Bob Novak. swift oat vet McCain "Swift Boater" Advisor on Terrorism - "Either we kneel or they are going to kill us". Israel arrests plotters against Bush.