August 15 2008 show notes
Aug. 23, 2008 1:31 pm
By Thom Hartmann A...
- "Every gun that is made.." Eisenhower speech.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont.
- Guest: Ravi Batra, professor of economics. "Greenspan's Fraud" and "The New Golden Age".
Guests: Dorothy Fadiman, filmmaker, and Ion Sancho, Supervisor of Elections, Leon County, Florida. Their movie, STEALING AMERICA: Vote By Vote.
- What really happened in South Ossetia?
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- Article: Kremlin dusts off Cold War lexicon to make US villain in Georgia.
"Russians were told over breakfast yesterday what really happened in Georgia: the conflict in South Ossetia was part of a plot by Dick Cheney, the Vice-President, to stop Barack Obama being elected president of the United States."
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone.
It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities.
It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population.
It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals.
It is some 50 miles of concrete highway.
We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat.
We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people.
This is, I repeat, is the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking.
This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
Dwight D. Eisenhower, April 16, 1953 "The Chance for Peace" speech (mp3).
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. Political theater, Boehner etcetera grabbing the headlines. Shell game. We're in the last months of the worst administration: gas prices, health insurance, middle class collapsing, deficit. Republicans are standing with oil and insurance companies. Suddenly they are fed up and fighting for people paying high prices. What they forget to tell us is they have been major recipients from oil. We've forgotten who started the Georgia/Russia conflict. Randy Scheunemann on the Georgian payroll. The Russians being told it's Dick Cheney's fault. Concerns about Russia, but the last thing we need is a cold war.
New Thomas Frank book, "The Wrecking Crew: How Conservatives Rule". He'll be on the show on Thursday. School loans. Debt forgiven if the recipient works for 10 years in a non profit, the trying to get further legislation. Two thirds of corporations not paying taxes, and McCain wants to increase that. Globalization, CEOs of international companies. Halliburton in Dubai. George Washington's farewell address. If you are part of the Military Industrial Complex, you stand to make billions by manufacturing more arms in a never-ending cold war. Bernie sounding like Eisenhower, "Every gun that is made...". Eisenhower was a moderate Republican, highly decorated 5 star general. Bernie could not get LIHEAP passed. $2,5 billion, less than one week in Iraq. Wall Street pushing and the Fed is in line to let it start managing pension plans. Offshore drilling, price. Oil companies artificially holding oil off market to increase the price and reduce resistance to offshore drilling, they could then flood the market and make Republicans look like heroes.
Undue corporate influence. it has spread beyond America. After the Soviet Union broke up they have taken on states as clients. Former PNAC members on the United States - Azerbaijan Chamber of Commerce Honorary Council Of Advisors. Breaking, Georgia cease fire. Russia over-reacted, a lot of brutality, but Georgia started it, and we forgot it within 2 weeks. Sharp decline in US economy, politics, how come so many Americans are so blind? Political theater, media. "Greed over people" graffiti, cost. Ralph Nader this weekend on the law against industrial hemp.
- Bumper Music: Rebuild America First, Merle Haggard (free video online).
- Bumper Music: Brother Can You Spare a Couple Billion?, Jim Terr, Blue Canyon Productions (video).
- Bumper Music: 4 Minutes To Save The World , Madonna, Justin Timberlake (video).
- Article: Georgia president signs cease-fire with Russia
"A reluctant Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili said Friday he signed a cease-fire agreement with Russia and declared in the presence of the chief U.S. diplomat that the West had behaved in ways that invited the invasion."
- Article: Greed Over People: More pre-RNC graffiti.
- Upcoming Event: August 16th - Seattle, WA. KPTK, Seattle