August 22 2008 show notes
Aug. 27, 2008 4:30 pm
By Thom Hartmann A...
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont.
- Guest: Dr. Jerome Corsi, World Net Daily. "The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality"
- Guest: Aaron Soto-Karlin. Psychedelic therapy study, John Hopkins.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. Obama is firing back on McCain, evidence based, McCain in mire. He can't campaign on his true policies, tax breaks for the rich, continuing the Iraq war, cutting back on social security, privatizing. structural, systemic problem. Using time wisely at the Democratic convention. Why it's a do nothing congress, overcoming filibusters. Some progress. Get the Obama campaign to start a Peace Corps for America, scientists working pro bono? What happens if you tax the rich more? Does it trickle down? Why do high ranking military retire young? Extend the leaving age and have 5 year ban on lobbying for the Military Industrial Complex? Military budget. Why help Wall Street to maintain "stability"? Don't you need to let the business cycle to work? You are doomed if you do and doomed if you don't. Massive financial dislocation. Condi going to Baghdad, tentative timetable. Thom said they would declare victory and jack up economy before election. Term limits. Influence of big money. What side are your candidates on?
- Bumper Music: You've Got To Stand For Something, Aaron Tippin.
- Guest: Dr. Jerome Corsi, World Net Daily. "Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry" and "The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality" attacking Obama. Thom used satire to put the same kind of accusation to Corsi that Corsi makes against democrats.
- Bumper Music: No Sugar Tonight, The Guess Who.
- Bumper Music: You can leave your hat on, Randy Newman.
- Article: Suspended cop: Sex with prostitute wasn't fun, it was work.
- Bumper Music: Suddenly I See , KT Tunstall.
- Article: Seeking Volunteers with a Cancer Diagnosis to participate in a scientific study of self-exploration and personal meaning, The Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit (BPRU), The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
"Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University are seeking volunteers with a current or past diagnosis of cancer who have some anxiety or are feeling down about their cancer to participate in a scientific study of self-exploration and personal meaning brought about by the entheogen psilocybin, a psychoactive substance found in mushrooms used as a sacrament in some cultures, given in a comfortable, supportive setting. Questionnaires and interviews will be used to assess the effects of the substance on consciousness, mood, and behavior."
- Guest: Aaron Soto-Karlin. Psychedelic therapy study, John Hopkins. "If you would like to discuss the possibility of volunteering, please call 410