Show live from the Invesco stadium at Mile High.
- Guest: Justin Rockefeller, co-founder, National Program Director, GenerationEngage.
- Guest: Congressman Keith Ellison, Minnesota, 5th district.
- Guests: Karl Frisch, Communications Director, and Paul Waldman, Senior Fellow and Director of Special Projects, Media Matters for America.
- Guest: Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, 9th District, Illinois.
- Guest: Jay Inslee, 1st District, Washington.
- Guest: Mark Brewer, Vice Chair of the DNC.
- Guest: Congressman Dennis Kucinich, 10th district in Ohio.
- Guest: Christy Harvey, Director of Strategic Communications at the Center for American Progress, MicCheckradio.org.
- Democratic National Convention speeches.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- Show live from the Invesco stadium at Mile High.
- Joe Biden's speech brought tears to Thom's eyes.
- Guest: Justin Rockefeller, co-founder, National Program Director, GenerationEngage. "GenerationEngage is a nonpartisan youth-civic-engagement initiative that connects young Americans to political leaders, to other civic organizations, and to meaningful debate about the future they will inherit." Jay's youngest son. The organization needs funding. For people who do not go to college. They invest young social entrepreneurs. The speeches last night, Hillary handing over her delegates.
- Bumper Music: Do You Believe in Magic?, Aly & AJ.
- Guest: Congressman Keith Ellison, Minnesota, 5th district. It's the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech, and of the murder of Emmett Till. A group was praying for rain in Denver, it looks like they got a hurricane during the RNC in stead. Hannity asking why people why Obama should be president. Teddy Kennedy was was 42, John F Kennedy was 43, Bill Clinton was 46, Obama is 47. He's been in office longer than Bush or Bill Clinton had been. He has leadership skills.
- Bumper Music: Shake It Up, The Cars.
- Guests: Karl Frisch, Communications Director, and Paul Waldman, Senior Fellow and Director of Special Projects, Media Matters for America. The media is obsessed with finding Hillary supporters, and looking for disunity in her speech. McCain is producing a new attack ad each day. He wants the media to play for free, so it's personal. Nothing is too stupid for them, e.g. set designer today. They aren't picking up criticism of McCain, etc. Monday's CNN poll asked if Republicans if they wanted McCain, 42% said they wanted someone else. Emotional yesterday. Coverage. Why not talking about FISA, other stuff? Satire. Polls.
- Bumper Music: Ain't No Surplus, Capitol Steps (video).
- Ten trillion dollars debt thanks to Reagan, George HW Bush and George W Bush.
- "From a marketing point of view, you don't introduce new products in August."
Andrew H. Card Jr., White House chief of staff, on why the Bush administration waited until September to press for public support of its Iraq policy. September 7, 2002.
- Guest: Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, 9th District, Illinois. Her passion is health care. She's Vice-Chair of the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection, on the Subcommittee on Health, the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and several others. Intelligence might not be the right word. Yesterday's article asking why Cheney's guy was in Georgia before the war. Randy Scheunemann was paid lobbyist for Georgia. Karl Rove was in Yalta 3 weeks earlier with Saakashvili.
Would they use a war for their political agenda, like in 2002? Andy Card said to do something like this in September rather than August because it is better for the campaign. The administration hates the oversight committee and tell them as little as possible. Often they find things out first from CNN or the newspapers, often months or years later. They think they can do anything. She's one of the national co-chairs of the Obama campaign, she's been close to him for 12 years. She's been to lots of conventions, this is the most meaningful because Barack is a dear friend. There is a special kind of enthusiasm. Unity, Clintons. Joe Biden introduction. Sean Hannity asking why Obama should be president. Obama has leadership ability. Everything will change around the world when Obama takes the oath of office. Bush is universally hated around the world, Obama will be beloved.
- "Sixteen years ago, you gave me the profound honor to lead our party to victory and to lead our nation to a new era of peace and broadly shared prosperity. Together, we prevailed in a campaign in which the Republicans said I was too young and too inexperienced to be Commander-in-Chief."
Bill Clinton, Democratic National Convention, August 27, 2008.
- The McCain campaign is saying he has made hi VP decision, McCain today said he had not.
- "Since I