November 07 2008 show notes
Nov. 9, 2008 9:57 am
By Thom Hartmann A...
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont.
- "Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination", the latest book by Lamar Waldron and Thom Hartmann, is now available.
- Mitt Romney and some Mormons tearing down Sarah Palin.
- The war between Georgia and Russia.
- Keep active! List of some organizations and sites to support.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- "[Nearly 70% of the military budget] is to provide men and weapons to fight in foreign countries in support of our allies and friends and for offensive operations in Third World countries .. Another big chunk of the defense budget is the 20% allocated for our offensive nuclear force of bombers, missiles, and submarines whose job it is to carry nuclear weapons to the Soviet Union... Actual defense of the United States costs about 10% of the military budget and is the least expensive function performed by the Pentagon".
Rear Admiral Gene LaRoque, U.S. Navy retired.
- Article: Cyber attacks on McCain and Obama teams 'came from China'.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. People saying, "Obama's even more socialist than Bernie" meme. Obama is not the most liberal. We need to discuss what democratic socialism is. The earlier visit to Vermont of the ambassador of Finland. What is the proper role of government in our society? Unemployment is up. Invest in rebuilding the country. He's delighted Obama won; many in Vermont voted for him. Every progressive step will be opposed by pharma or the Military Industrial complex, etc. We have to keep mobilized and stand up. The dangers of free trade. The DNC were putting on ads talking about the loss of jobs. Cyber attacks from China, and we can't build cruise missiles without them. Legislation against lies, caging, election fraud, robocalling, use of private companies? Health care plan lost McCain votes?
Need to punish bush for war crimes, not let him write book, Obama would be one time president. Bernie says people do not want to spend time looking back. We need to make sure such things are never done again, but do not obsess on Bush. No witch hunt of Wall Street? There's been a witch hunt on the working class. Will the new Treasury Secretary be another Goldman Sachs alumnus or similar? How about somebody like Ravi Batra? Health care. Many rich people are suffering too, just not billionaires. Warren Buffett pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. Companies are moving out of the country to avoid taxes but want the benefits; it's unpatriotic. Obama will be under enormous pressure to not be progressive, we need to be behind him. continue citizen activism. Get involved in organizations such as Democracy for America, MoveOn. The Employee Free Choice Act would let more people join unions. Last session it passed easily in the House, but was defeated in Senate for lack of 60 votes.
- Bumper Music: 5 O