January 23 2009 show notes
Jan. 24, 2009 8:57 pm
By Thom Hartmann A...
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont.
- 'Anything Goes' Friday.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- Article: Socialist Vows to Be Capitol Outsider, November 12, 1990.
"Mr. Sanders says his agenda in Congress will include lower limits on campaign spending, a steeply progressive income tax, a national health care program, support for education, affordable housing and 50 percent cuts in military spending over the next five years. "
"Former analyst at the National Security Agency, Russell Tice, reveals exclusively to Countdown's Keith Olbermann that American journalists were specifically targeted by the Bush administration for surveillance."
Countdown, January 21st, 2009.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. Great inauguration. The issues facing us. The interconnectedness between them. He's pleased the first executive orders were about secret prisons, Guantanamo. The economy. His meeting yesterday with some major economists, they thought the package may not be enough. Once you are in a depression, it is hard to get back. Getting off dependency on foreign oil. Energy efficiency. Extend unemployment. Help cities maintain services. Hold finance people accountable. Obama promised to keep the grass roots activated. The stimulus has not worked, how to stop the hemmoraging? Campaign spending. How can Democrats stop Republican shenanigans? They have more votes (58 excluding Franken), which will make it easier. Take the TARP money and create a nationalized bank that can lend? There was an ad in the New York Times, Goldman Sachs just made a big investment in Japan.
FDR was a "traitor to his class" for stabbing rich friends in the back? Democratizing of the stock market making it harder for Obama. People with 401ks worship the investor class. Energy companies, pharma, Military Industrial Complex spent lots on lobbying. What is the future of the EPA etc? Obama has made some good appointments. Is anything going to be done about Russell Tice's allegations that the NSA spied American journalists? Executive order on secret prisons, torture. We will see a thorough review of many policies. Obama speech. Nation of laws. Two tiered justice system, financial criminals get away. We have more people in jail than China or anyone else. The for profit prison industry lobbies for laws to get more clients. 4th amendment rights need restoring. TARP funds, the first $350b were ill spent, what assurance do we have for the next $350b or $850b? Any talk of rationing? Not about rationing, but energy efficiency. More transparency. The holdup on Eric Holder. A precursor for the rest of the administration? Get Harry Reid to do away with the filibuster, nuclear option? Bernie was presiding. Holder will be passed. Specter is up for election. Yesterday passed Lily Leadbetter Act. They will pass SCHIP. They are making progress, will move as rapidly as they can.
- Bumper Music: Satellite Radio , Steve Earle.
- Bumper Music: Save The Day, Kate Campbell.
- Bumper Music: You Got Me, Tristan Prettyman (video).
- Upcoming Event: February 26-27th