February 06 2009 show notes
Feb. 10, 2009 7:39 pm
By Thom Hartmann A...
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont.
- The stimulus package.
- 'Anything goes' Friday.
Topics, guests, upcoming events, quotes, links to articles, audio clips, books & bumper music.
- Clip: "The energy crisis is real. It is worldwide. It is a clear and present danger to our nation. These are facts and we simply must face them. Moreover, I will soon submit legislation to Congress calling for the creation of this nation's first solar bank, which will help us achieve the crucial goal of 20 percent of our energy coming from solar power by the year 2000.
What I have to say to you now about energy is simple and vitally important. Point one: I am tonight setting a clear goal for the energy policy of the United States. Beginning this moment, this nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977 -- never. From now on, every new addition to our demand for energy will be met from our own production and our own conservation.
The generation-long growth in our dependence on foreign oil will be stopped dead in its tracks right now and then reversed as we move through the 1980s, for I am tonight setting the further goal of cutting our dependence on foreign oil by one-half by the end of the next decade -- a saving of over 4-1/2 million barrels of imported oil per day."
Jimmy Carter televised "Crisis of Confidence" Speech on July 15, 1979.
- Bumper Music: Let's Work Together, Canned Heat.
- Bumper Music: I use What I got, Jason Aldean (video).
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. He was calling from the Senate. The economic crisis. What is going on. The stimulus bill. Republicans are being obstructive, have not signed on to it. Jobs. Infrastructure. "The energy crisis is real". It is time to be energy efficient. Logjam. He was on Hardball the other day. Countries are changing their trade policies. The Judd Gregg appointment. He is on the budget committee too. He's a decent, very conservative, trickle down etc, free trade guy. Gregg recused himself from voting on the stimulus, but he should vote. This morning's debate on the stimulus. amendments. CEO pay. Bernie thinks in next couple of hours, his bill with Sen Chuck Grassley to stop H1B visas stop for 2 years will be on the floor. Hold Wall Street accountable.
Senator Bernie Sanders in the Bay Area.
Progressive Perspectives Presents
Senator Bernie Sanders
Why We Need to Unite around a Progressive Agenda ~ in conversation with Norman Solomon ~ (and the Bay Area community, in an extended Q&A)
"There is enormous pressure on Obama to be looking to the corporate wing of the Democratic party rather than the progressive wing of the Democratic party. The only way we can move this country in a progressive way is with an agenda supported by the grassroots