- Article: Household Wealth in Freefall.
- Bumper Music: Democracy is coming to the USA, Leonard Cohen.
Discipline in combat is essential. Disobedience to the law of war dishonors the Nation, the Marine Corps, and the individual Marine, and far from weakening the enemy's will to fight, it strengthens it. The following principles require the Marine's adherence in the accomplishment of any mission. Violations have an adverse impact on public opinion both national and international and have on occasion served to prolong conflict by inciting an opponent to continue resistance and in most cases constitute violations of the UCMJ. Violations of these principles prejudice the good order and discipline essential to success in combat.
1. Marines fight only enemy combatants.
2. Marines do not harm enemies who surrender. They must disarm them and turn them over to their superior.
3. Marines do not kill or torture prisoners.
4. Marines collect and care for the wounded, whether friend or foe.
5. Marines do not attack medical personnel, facilities, or equipment.
6. Marines destroy no more than the mission requires.
7. Marines treat all civilians humanely.
8. Marines do not steal. Marines respect private property and possessions.
9. Marines should do their best to prevent violations of the law of war. They must report all violations of the law of war to their superior.
- "Brunch with Bernie" with Senator Bernie Sanders, Independent of Vermont. "Household Wealth in Freefall". Unemployment up 640,000. Bank of America, Merryl Lynch. CEO testified yesterday that Bernanke, etc., pressured him to keep quiet. The economy. Unemployment will rise, and is much higher than official statistics. Vote for investigation into financial scandal. Credit cards, he is getting lots of calls and emails about interest rates rising. Torture, obeying orders. Expanding Medicare. Credit card problems. "Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." - Winston Churchill. Rethink trade policies.
If there is no prosecution of Bush administration crimes, what message does that send to our children? SERE training. Thousands of Iraqis surrendered during the Gulf War because they knew they would be well taken care of, this saved many American lives and helped end the war quickly. George Washington said give them no reason to complain, and as a result many British soldiers surrendered and later became American citizens. Send Bernie credit card stories that he can read on the floor. The United States Marine Essential Subjects on torture. GM - instead of giving money, give it to the local area. GM were hit by bad Hummer decision, $4 oil, finance, so not all the company's fault.
- Upcoming Event: May 21 - 22 Show live from 1080 KUDO, Anchorage, Alaska. May 22 Thom will speak at the IBEW annual Progress Meeting (Western States) at the Hotel Captain Cook on Friday from 10 - 11 am (ADT).
- Guest: Christy Harvey, Director of Strategic Communications at the Center for American Progress, MicCheckradio.org. Thom and Louise traveling to Anchorage. Global warming. NOAA.gov charts and graphs of midieval warming period. Sites about it, source watch shows they get funds from Scaife, Exxon Mobil, etc. Same tactics as tobacco, give no ground, question all studies. Coalition group's own scientists telling them in private they were wrong. Sinclair Lewis said it is hard to change peoples' mind because of their paycheck. California, externalities not taught in High School. The costs are not being paid by the corporations, California last night, the legislation was saying we will cut carbon content 10% by 2020. Factoring in emissions to deliver. Michaael Steele was supposed to speak to a Jewish group, backed out at last minute saying he had urgent family business, but turned up at the premiere of a movie about Mike Tyson. Texas talking about seceeding. Joe Barton video, ex head of energy task force, Republican, went after energy secretary Stephen Choo, video "here's how I baffled the energy secretary".
- Article: Cheney Starts Pro-Torture Facebook Page .
- Article: In U.S. Report, Brutal Details of 2 Afghan Inmates' Deaths, Tim Golden, May 20, 2005. Dilawar.
- Firesign Theater Live performance tonight in Monterey.
- Multiple disinformation campaigns. Torture. GM shutting plant for weeks. The Chinese are going to work really fast to get an electric car on the road in 3 years. Tata.
- Global warming. Everything that we are, dreams, hopes, and of kids, businesses, government, feed, water, all at risk, exists at the discretion of mother nature. Bring pantheism into religions, sacredness of nature, we are not separate.
- Subprime mortgages, Freddie and Fanny, are we still sponsoring them? History. Laissez faire.
- Bumper Music: Stand Up, Jet.
- Somali pirate, four on the lifeboat, the negotiater was the oldest?
- Article: Tedisco Tries To Make Roadkill Of Sam Seder's Ballot.
- Guest: Sam Seder. Why his vote is being challenged! TPM article. He lives in columbia county, NY. In Oct he had to be down 4 mights a week because of the show, so voted absentee. He was a foreman on a jury 4 days before the election, so clearly aresident. Long time Republican Tedisco randomly challenged votes. Sam spoke to electoral commissioners this morning, was told the challenge was if he was a resident. His vote is still in the envelope. Judge on Monday. It looks like Tedisco already lost. Trying to delay Scott Murphy ? He won't make much difference in the house.
- Thom woke early, tried for music, got NPR on health care - about if have it, have to get used to paying it for yourselves. Then interview on torture, bozo from a right wing front group about it getting good information.
- England raised top tax rate to 50%, in the US it used to be higher during WW1 then lower leading to depression, historical statistics. Roll back the Reagan tax cut, and put in the cost of health care. It would raise peoples' taxes, for the investor class they will have less money at the end of year but over time, if taxes are raised on working people their wages go up. Rant, wages track taxes. Right wing spin infiltrated news.
- Reestablish NPR as an alternative to corporate media. get ads out.
- Elizabeth de la Vega said she does not want a special prosecutor. Thom is not sure about a commission. Harry Reid just said they will not appoint one. First there is chaos, let more come out, lots of committees. Statue of limitations - 8 months. We only know around 1/3. Obama releasing pictures today.
- Bumper Music: You can leave your hat on, Randy Newman.
- Article: Nude PETA Beauties Shower on the Sidewalk to Expose Meat's Devastating Impact on the Planet. Go vegetarian.
- 16th amendment never ratified, so taxes illegal? The Supreme Court has said it is legal, and most people would vote it back as they want services.
- Inflation, deflation, hyperinflation. Ravi Batra's books "Greenspan's Fraud: How Two Decades of His Policies Have Undermined the Global Economy" and "The New Golden Age: The Coming Revolution against Political Corruption and Economic Chaos". Thom's "Screwed".
- Bumper Music: You're Gonna Get What's Coming, Bonnie Raitt.
- Article: Berlusconi Stacks Parliament, Cabinet With Beauty Queens, Actresses.
- Lee Iacocca asked the government to raise gas tax. It should have been made a percentage.
- Article: Debunking the Federal Reserve Conspiracy Theories.
- Joe called. The 16th amendment did not give the government the power to tax income, it already had the power. The Income tax act of 1894 was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in Pollock V. Farmers' Loan & Trust Co.. The court said that a portion of that law was unconstitutional, concerning income derived from property, which makes it a tax on property which must be apportioned like school taxes on property. Therefore COngress had to revisit the whole Act. The 16th amendment was to allow the government to tax income no matter where it comes from. The Christmas Eve vote was the Federal Reserve vote. Myths of the Federal Reserve, particularly the vote on the Federal Reserve Act.
- Torture. Miss-step of Obama and Rahm Emmanuel to bring this out when there are so many other pressing issues? Ted Kennedy and others say there will be a health care bill soon.
- The US can't compete against China, producing or education. Solution - national industrial policy of Hamilton, tariff-based trade like China and others already have, and give free college education; it is a cheap investment.
- Bumper Music: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Thanks.
- Article: 'Rent' opens in Corona del Mar; students counter anti-gay protest. phelps-a-thon.com. "God hates fags" is a mistake; a typo. It's really God hates figs.
- Victoria Jones of Talk Radio News. Figs. Bible. Shellfish. Wearing mixed fibers. House Energy and Commerce Committee, Al Gore and Newt Gingrich both testified on cap and trade and climate. Al Gore said, "I believe this legislation has the moral significance equivalent to that of the civil rights legislation of the 1960s and the Marshall Plan of the late 1940s". Ttom would prefer a carbon tax. They are too afraid of a carbon tax. Gingrich says it is wrong, has own green conservatism plan.