April 27th 2009 Monday

newspaper-images1Topic: "Breaking News!"  Should the failing newspaper industry get a bailout next? Thom and Dan Gainor of the Business and Media Institute mix it up www.businessandmedia.org

Topic: "Labor Update - On Tour for the Employee Free Choice Act" Stewart Acuff from the AFL-CIO drops by with an update www.aflcio.org

Comments

KMH (not verified) 13 years 4 weeks ago

Believe it or not, the persons stopping the right to die here in California are true to the homeless community and are concerned the government will use the right to die as a way to kill the homeless.

I can provide the source if you wish however, they do such good work with the homeless, I hesitate to do so. I was just amazed when I learned this.

B Roll (not verified) 13 years 4 weeks ago

I don't know if exempting newspapers from antitrust laws would make any difference. Not that many people trust them anyway.

KMH (not verified) 13 years 4 weeks ago

lol no kidding B roll even just today, finally all my Republican family has been including me in their dialog about how the media has not reported how a Russian built an honor to 911 victims - see it yourself here. These relatives are just now figuring out what the media does not report as they are finally now on line. for ppt, google zurab tesereteii vladimir putin present to the United States 911

So I sent them the link to the Cat Stevens Slide show and some other things including this passage from John Perkins:

In general, "Things are not as they appear. NBC is owned by General Electric, ABC by Disney, CBS by Viacom, and CNN is part of the huge AOL Time Warner conglomerate. Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Most of our newspapers, magazines, and publishing houses are owned- and manipulated - by gigantic international corporations.

Our media is part of the corporatocracy.

The officers and directors who control nearly all our communications outlets know their places; they are taught throughout life that one of their most important jobs is to perpetuate, strengthen, and expand the system they have inherited. They are very efficient at doing so, and when opposed, they can be ruthless. So the burden falls on you to see the truth beneath the veneer and to expose it. Speak it to your family and friends; spread the word.

From page 260 Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. John Perkins.

B Roll (not verified) 13 years 4 weeks ago

KMH,

Not sure what's happening with this website, I just posted a message to you about information you asked for on April 16 from a post that disappeared from that day's blog. The post that I made just a few minutes ago didn't appear and I'm sure I had the invisible ink function turned off. I think I may have unintensionally done something naughty.

So here's briefer version of my post:

You asked me where the information about what you referred to as something like the "150 threshold" was posted. I've done a little research on it and it's called the "Dunbar Number". You can Google Dunbar Number and you'll get over 2.6 million hits. The paper on it is called "CO-EVOLUTION OF NEOCORTEX SIZE, GROUP SIZE AND LANGUAGE IN HUMANS"

That's all I'll say about it now. I hope this one posts.

rkfdred (not verified) 13 years 4 weeks ago

Hey Thom, just thought I'd let you know that every bond holder for GM is wealthy like Bush. I'm a 62 year old widow who had $10,000 in GM bonds. Today that bond value is under $1,000. I was advised that corporate bonds were a safer bet than stocks so I've taken a hit with GM and CitiGroup. So much for that advice.

KMH (not verified) 13 years 4 weeks ago

THX B Roll- muchas appreciados :)

Thom's Blog Is On the Move

Hello All

Today, we are closing Thom's blog in this space and moving to a new home.

Please follow us across to hartmannreport.com - this will be the only place going forward to read Thom's blog posts and articles.

"Thom is a national treasure. Read him, embrace him, learn from him, and follow him as we all work for social change."
Robert Greenwald, political activist and founder and president of Brave New Films
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"Thom Hartmann is a literary descendent of Ben Franklin and Tom Paine. His unflinching observations and deep passion inspire us to explore contemporary culture, politics, and economics; challenge us to face the facts of the societies we are creating; and empower us to demand a better world for our children and grandchildren."
John Perkins, author of the New York Times bestselling book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man