- Dan Gainor of the Business and Media Institute.
- Is Joe Lieberman A Traitor To The Democratic Party And The Average American or merely a shill for big pharma and big banking?
- Best of the rest of the news
- Will the Republicans take their party back before the right wing extremists destroy America?
- Bumper Music:
- The Revolution Starts Now, Steve Earle (video).
- Rockin' in the Free World, Neil Young.
- The Devil Went Down To Georgia, Charlie Daniels Band (animation).
- The Bug, Dire Straits (video).
- Piggies, George Harrison, Beatles (video).
- Pocket Full Of Sunshine, Natasha Bedingfield.
- Crazy, Gnarls Barkley.
- Save The USA, Andrew Bayuk.
- Spooky, Classics IV.
- Democracy, Leonard Cohen.
- Today's newsletter has details of today's guests and links to the major stories and alerts that Thom covered in the show, plus lots more. If you haven't signed up for the free newsletter yet, please do. If you missed today's newsletter, it is in the archive.
- Quote: "In our personal ambitions we are individualists. But in our seeking for economic and political progress as a nation, we all go up or else all go down as one people." --- Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- Article: Joe Lieberman Threatens Filibuster, Neuters Senate Democrats. Again by Katie Connolly.
"I've told Sen. Reid, that I'm strongly inclined, I haven't totally decided but I'm strongly inclined to vote to proceed to the health-care debate even though I don't support the bill he's bringing together, because it's important that we start the debate on health-care reform because I want to vote for health-care reform this year. But I also told him that if the bill remains what it is now I will not be able to support a cloture motion before final passage. Therefore I will try to stop the passage of the bill. ...
I can't see a way in which I could vote for cloture on any bill that contained a creation of a government-operated-run insurance company ... It's just asking for trouble—in the end, the taxpayers are going to pay."
- JAWS ALERT: Inhofe: ‘Natural warming cycle’ ended ‘about nine years ago.’.
"I do want to congratulate you on your Youtube, the fact you’re using the term global warming again, I appreciate that. People have been running from that term ever since we went out of that natural warming cycle about nine years ago."
- Article: Eurozone banks sharply scale back lending to private sector" by Ralph Atkins..
"The eurozone saw the first year-on-year fall in bank lending to the private sector last month, even as signs became stronger that the 16-country region's economy had returned to growth.
September's eurozone credit numbers indicated lending had been scaled back at an unprecedented pace, strengthening the case for the European Central Bank to maintain its ultra-loose interest rate policy.
Loans to the private sector contracted at an annual rate of 0.3 per cent, after a 0.1 per cent rise in August, according to the ECB. That was the first time the annual growth rate had turned negative since comparable statistics began in 1992. The euro was launched in 1999."
- Article: Republican Party Platform of 1940.
"The Republican Party is firmly opposed to involving this Nation in foreign war. ...
We shall remove waste, discrimination, and politics from relief—through administration by the States with federal grants. ...
We shall remove waste, discrimination, and politics from relief—through administration by the States with federal grants-in-aid on a fair and nonpolitical basis, thus giving the man and woman on relief a larger share of the funds appropriated.
We favor the extension of necessary old age benefits on an ear-marked pay-as-you-go basis to the extent that the revenues raised for this purpose will permit. We favor the extension of the unemployment compensation provisions of the Social Security Act, wherever practicable, to those groups and classes not now included. For such groups as may thus be covered we favor a system of unemployment compensation with experience rating provisions, aimed at protecting the worker in the regularity of his employment and providing adequate compensation for reasonable periods when that regularity of employment is interrupted. The administration should be left with the States with a minimum of Federal control. ...
The Republican party has always protected the American worker.
We shall maintain labor's right of free organization and collective bargaining.
We believe that peace and prosperity at home require harmony, teamwork, and understanding in all relations between worker and employer. When differences arise, they should be settled directly and voluntarily across the table.
Recent disclosures respecting the administration of the National Labor Relations Act require that this Act be amended in fairness to employers and all groups of employees so as to provide true freedom for, and orderliness in self-organization and collective bargaining. ...
Tariff and Reciprocal Trade
We are threatened by unfair competition in world markets and by the invasion of our home markets, especially by the products of state-controlled foreign economies.
We believe in tariff protection for Agriculture, Labor, and Industry, as essential to our American standard of living. The measure of the protection shall be determined by scientific methods with due regard to the interest of the consumer.
We shall explore every possibility of reopening the channels of international trade through negotiations so conducted as to produce genuine reciprocity and expand our exports.
We condemn the manner in which the so-called reciprocal trade agreements of the New Deal have been put into effect without adequate hearings, with undue haste, without proper consideration of our domestic producers, and without Congressional approval. These defects we shall correct. ...
We pledge that our American citizens of Negro descent shall be given a square deal in the economic and political life of this nation. Discrimination in the civil service, the army, navy, and all other branches of the Government must cease. To enjoy the full benefits of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness universal suffrage must be made effective for the Negro citizen. Mob violence shocks the conscience of the nation and legislation to curb this evil should be enacted.
We pledge an immediate and final settlement of all Indian claims between the government and the Indian citizenship of the nation."
"Eisenhower knows how to deal with the Russians. He has met Europe's leaders, has got them working with us. Elect the number one man for the number one job of our time. November 4th vote for peace. Vote for Eisenhower." 1952, 'The Man from Abilene'.