Daily Topics Blog - Friday December 18th 2009

bernie imagesHour One  "Brunch With Bernie" Senator Bernie Sanders www.sanders.senate.gov

Hour Two -  Deevi Danes www.swopusa.org Topic:  End Violence Against Sex Workers

Hour Three - Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL, 8th District) www.graysonforcongress.com Topic: Health care, Afghanistan

Guest: Bill McKibben www.350.org Topic: Wrap up from Copenhagen Climate Summit

Comments

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

On another front Obama's honeymoon on the global stage is also over. He received a cool reception in Copenhagen:

Barack Obama's Speech Disappoints and Fuels Frustration at Copenhagen
US president offers no further commitment on reducing emissions or on finance to poor countries
by Suzanne Goldenberg and Allegra Stratton in Copenhagen

COPENHAGEN - Barack Obama stepped into the chaotic final hours of the Copenhagen summit today saying he was convinced the world could act "boldly and decisively" on climate change.

U.S. President Barack Obama attends the morning plenery session of the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP15) at the Bella Center in Copenhagen, Denmark, December 18, 2009. (REUTERS/Larry Downing)But his speech offered no indication America was ready to embrace bold measures, after world leaders had been working desperately against the clock to try to paper over an agreement to prevent two years of wasted effort - and a 10-day meeting - from ending in total collapse.

Obama, who had been skittish about coming to Copenhagen at all unless it could be cast as a foreign policy success, looked visibly frustrated as he appeared before world leaders.
from: http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/12/18-0

DDay (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

@ZeroG

Re: St. Anthony's Fire

Yes, I believe that the operating theory is that due to a mold in the wheat which produced a toxin with LSD like properties, people who ate bread sometimes took a "trip". History suggests that this was a problem in the region where St. Anthony resided at that time. Is that it?

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

The wall-to-wall Salvation Army adverts on KTLK 1050AM here in Los Angeles are beginning to totally tick me off:

1. Christmas or not . . . No one should ever go hungry,

2. Paramilitary hate organizations should not attempt to rehabilitate themselves on my time . . . Although they should free to spend all their dimes . . . , AND

3. Until they change their stance on homosexuality and immigration, they get zero from me.

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

DDay, correct, Ergot, specifically. Not only wheat, but Rye as well.

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

All this wheat talk is making me feel the need to bake brownies and leave them in a cave to cool . . .

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

The problem was, it not only intoxicated, it led to gangrene of the limbs.

DDay (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

@ Zero G

I prefer to drink my rye. :-)

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Matthews Disses Liberals

DDay,

Here's the Chris Matthews video clip that you and I saw yesterday that made us both "see red." 'Thought the rest of us might be interested (starting at approx. min. 2:50):

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

@ DDay,

L'chiam!

thebinxster (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

@ Nels Nelsen
you're right. it would be a lump of sugar in the middle.
and obama would make a speech telling us how nutritious the entire concoction actually was, contrary to our initial and visceral impressions.
and obama's apologists would expain how we just didn't quite understand the complex strategy he was involved with...

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Matthews ALWAYS disses liberals, what's new...

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Zero G.,

These Matthews comments seemed particularly infuriating, since he has defacto dismissed all the work that we liberals (who DO show up and do the work) have done over our lifetimes!

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Speaking of acid like Trips from eating moldy bread, I remember reading some years ago that a theory was postulated that the French citizens that stormed the Bastille may have likely been eating such bread and that it may had directly contributed to the French revolution. It was suggested this was quite an irony considering many believe that when the Queen said "Let them eat cake" was a loose translation and word could have just as easily been translated as bread.

I get the feeling that those who are saying half a loaf is better then nothing are channeling Marie Antoinette.

DDay (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

@ Richard

Since you live in California....find a friendly M.D. and get your card. Then select your favorite brownie recipe. (Duncan Hines Double Fudge Mix is a good alternative.) Clean your medicinal herbs extremely well. (no seeds or stems). Powderize as much as reasonable. Heres the gourmands trick: mix however much herb ,(1/4 to 1 full cup) you can afford or desire with melted butter in a saute' pan over low heat for just a minute or two and add to the brownie batter. This will make the finished product yummy and sneaky. I developed this technique in the middle seventies at the University of Iowa. It was very popular. No cave needed...at least until after these have been consumed! Happy Hannuka!

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

DDay,

Do you have any interest in working on the Rybak for governor campaign?

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

DDay,

I find melting the butter in a double boiler works better.

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Zero G. and DDay,

You give new meaning to the words "Cake Boss."

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Quark,

I just particularly remember Matthews interviewing a family member of a 9/11 victim, a young man who was against the initial invasion of Afghanistan, a year maybe after the fact. Matthews interrupted him and screamed nobady was against the Afghan invasion. Been pissed at him since then.

DDay (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

@ Nels

The French don't need much inducement to raise a ruckus. The French word for bread is pain. The French word for cake is gateau. Not too similar. Funny thing...my French isn't very good...except when it comes to food words. Your suggestion channeling Marie Antoinette is none the less well taken. :-)

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Had the French been eating ergot infected bread, they wouldn't have stormed the Bastille, they would have tried to levitate it.

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Zero G.,

That puts Matthews in the same category as Bill O'Reilly when O'Reilly was verbally abusive to a young man whose father was killed during the attack on the World Trade Towers on 9/11. I think the young man was saying something obvious like Iraq wasn't responsible for the attack...

However, I will always be grateful to Matthews for being one of the first people on national TV to stand up to Bush/Cheney, which got him into more than a little hot water.

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Wow, is the description of Obama's talk at Copenhagen deflating.

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

What's the difference between a good man and a bad man if the good man goes through the same motions as a bad man?

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

1. Chris Matthews is very well paid to hide any progressive tenancies behind tooliness and has almost always delivers on his contract.

2. Marie Antoinette’s “Cake” was the overflow while baking.

3. Essence of ergot or the demon weed . . . It’s a toss up at this point.

DDay (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Zero G, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Quark,

Re: Ryback

I usually play hard to get at this phase of the endorsement process. (It usually assures that they all pay attention to me. Besides I'm a natural slut.) This year I have decided to be more emotional and less pragmatic. I am following my heart by supporting the candidates whose issues, ideologies, and hearts best match my own. I like R.T. Right now I have given money and other help to John Marty and Tom Rukavina. I am mostly busy working against Bachmann. In fact, tomorrow morning I am going to be in a commercial shoot for Tarryl Clark. It's a Sportsmen for Clark type thing. I have been ironing my khakis and camo all day. I also have been meeting with a group of businessmen and lawyers in this district who are fed up with things as they are. We are forming a liberal PAC most likely. I am very enthused about these prospects and am elated that they came to me for advice. I'm pretty burned out dealing with the Democratic Party lately. So many Peckerheads! So many pointless meetings! It would be nice to operate with fewer constraints and political correctness.

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Copenhagen: The Courage to Say No
by Naomi Klein

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

DDay,

Please keep me posted on your activities. (I'm a little burned out right now but I might be able to relight the fire...)

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Need encouragement?

"10 Good Things About 2009"

By Medea Benjamin

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Side conversation . . . As Bill O’ Reilly says . . . SOME PEPOLE SAY that they recommend using a plastic serving tray such as those at Mickey D's for deseeding/destemifying . . . The texturized surface. Basically indestructible. Lip to keep stuff from running away . . .

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

DDay,

A toast to friendship, and to all a happy weekend!

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Richard L.,

Seeds?

DDay (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

Quark,

Try my recipe. Be good to yourself. Keep the fire alight. A lot of us are crazy about you mon petit choux fleur!

Quark (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

DDay,

I love you, too!

DDay (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

@ Richard L.

A tray is nice. Sinsemillia is better! By the way, I like your enthusiasm. Have a great weekend Richard.....and everyone else Farg health care!

Samfam (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

We're runnin against the wind!

Rastaman (not verified) 10 years 41 weeks ago

BRILLIANT WORLD CLOCK ….

shows all different Segments …..
Amazing , Stunning !

Trump Goes Full Authoritarian Dictator

Thom plus logo What we saw last night was the dictator's playbook.

Tell violent white supremacist racists to "stand by" and encourage them to show up at polling places to intimidate voters.

Bully, bluster and threaten like Mussolini did, promoting your brand as "tough guy" when in fact you're a lazy coward.
"Thom is a national treasure. Read him, embrace him, learn from him, and follow him as we all work for social change."
Robert Greenwald, political activist and founder and president of Brave New Films
"In Cracking the Code, Thom Hartmann, America’s most popular, informed, and articulate progressive talk show host and political analyst, tells us what makes humans vulnerable to unscrupulous propagandists and what we can do about it. It is essential reading for all Americans who are fed up with right-wing extremists manipulating our minds and politics to promote agendas contrary to our core values and interests."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community and When Corporations Rule the World and board chair of YES! magazine
"Right through the worst of the Bush years and into the present, Thom Hartmann has been one of the very few voices constantly willing to tell the truth. Rank him up there with Jon Stewart, Bill Moyers, and Paul Krugman for having the sheer persistent courage of his convictions."
Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth