Daily Topics Blog - Thursday December 17th 2009

liberal imagesHour One - Mr. President, it's time to come clean on the deals you've made with the health insurance gangsters

Hour Two -  "How The Left Siftboated America: The Liberal Media Conspiracy to Make You Think George Bush Was the Worst President in History" Fox Radio Host John Gibson www.johngibson.com

Plus..."Everything You Know is Wrong" Gerald Posner www.dailybeast.com (also, www.posner.com) Is there a system that celebrities use to conceal bizarre behavior that Tiger Woods is giving us a glimpse into or is this just an aberration?

Hour Three - Why do oil billionaires oppose America being competitive with other nations that have national health care systems? Phil Kerpen www.americansforprosperity.org and www.joinpatientsfirst.com

Plus...Update from Copenhagen Climate Summit with Phil Radford Executive Director - Greenpeace USA www.greenpeace.org

Comments

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

The pre-war system where you could trade a chicken to the country doctor for a home visit?

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

I don't want the government making my car, shoes or computer either... but it sure would be sweet if they enabled our businesses to compete at a level were I could by those goods as American products.

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

"And incarnation for standing up for rights is a badge of honor . . " Richard

I know it's a typo, but I like it. I get a life for the purpose of standing up for rights.

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

If the gov't provided jobs for all, the shoes kept my feet warm and dry, the computers didn't crash, and the cars were green, I'd easily give up new styles every season.

DDay (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

@ Nels & Richard

I stand corrected. I heard a discussion about a recall for Lieberman last night in relation to a proposal from Michael Moore. Reading legal discussions on the web today about this issue seem to indicate that a legal recall is unlikely, (as Richard indicates) given recent court decisions. !8 states have recall provisions which are in question because of the afore-mentioned court decision in California. I guess we will have to wait for a well aimed meteor from God or for the voters in the Nut............meg state to come to their senses in 2012. Everything is coming up snake-eyes lately.

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

If the government doesn't want to impose tariffs, perhaps they would feel better about requiring shipping companies to hire enough personnel to check every container that comes into port or cross into our borders, they shipping companies can add the cost on their overhead or tack it on to their shipping cost (they're choice). Either way its not a tariff just a regulation to help protect us from "Terrorists".

(See how imported goods prices would be effected with that)

LeMoyne (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

re: John Gibson and neo-con apologists for Bush and Cheney
The Nuremburg trials at the end of WWII convicted and hung the Nazis for starting that war. The Geneva Conventions are clear that starting a war is the mother of all war crimes. The Bush administration obviously started the war in Iraq with the aggravating factor that they lied to create their pretext for that war just like the Nazis did. There is no doubt these neo-cons are unrepentant war criminals.
Furthermore, many of the Japanese military officers who were hung by the neck until dead after WWII were killed for torturing enemy combatants (i.e. waterboarding US soldiers).
Finally, it is not possible to "Swift Boat" these flagrant war criminals who either never joined the military (Cheney) or couldn't even complete their training (Bush).

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

Richard,

"I was pointing out the an Union walk-out could get the whole organization GITMO’d without legal recourse FOREVER . . ."

I really do not disagree. I only point out that Union organizing was always fraught with danger. The history of the Pinkertons and mineworkers, just as one example.

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

LeMoyne,

Right on!

"We must never forget that the record on which we judge these defendants is the record on which history will judge us tomorrow. To pass these defendants a poisoned chalice is to put it to our own lips as well." - Robert Jackson @ Nuremberg Tribunal

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

@ Radford: Wimp out “ONCE AND A WHILE?” . . . “ONCE AND A WHILE?” Name ONCE that Obama has wimped in?

phylliprezzel (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

When I visit my daughter each winter in Dubai, I am able to watch MSNBC on the Orbitz network which comes in her basic TV subscription.

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

Well if activist parties on the Right end up getting Progressives elected.. let's start supporting the Right-Wing activist parties

Quark (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

DDay,

It causes me pain to say this. Bernie looks thinner, more "fragile," drawn, with darker lips. I've seen these characteristics many times and they're never good... I hope I am wrong and merely bleary-eyed from watching too much TV politics.

Food Fascist (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

@Nels-- sounds like that could be fun!

week2late (Sam) (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

But the large corporations are multi-national, we are not dealing with American "Gangsters!" The American conspiritors are the captains and the leutenents in this cartell. The disstruction of the American middle class is the primary goal for this country, because it was here that the power of the country existed. Destroy the middleclass and you destroy America as it was conceived. The agenda for the countries of the rest of the world may be entirely different but, none-the-less, just as cancerous. What better way to kill the American middle class then to calapse its wealth not once, but as many times as it takes to get the job done. Ben Laden is the front to keep you busy so that you can not see what the "Banksters" are doing. You are too preoccupied to notice that the terrorist is dead!. They have taken the Congress, they have stacked the Courts, they dictate the White House and who lives in it. They can steal elections. They will keep Howard Dean off the ballot in 2012.

week2late (Sam) (not verified) 10 years 28 weeks ago

No wonder I can't buy any bullets for my guns!!!!!

Will America Recover from the Rightwing Billionaire's War Against Us?

Thom plus logo This morning on CNN a physician in Texas talked about having 10 young people with COVID-19 who needed immediate hospitalization and only having three beds left. He had to decide who is going to get treatment and who was going to be turned away from the hospital.
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Hartmann combines a remarkable piece of historical research with a brilliant literary style to tell the grand story of corporate corruption and its consequences for society with the force and readability of a great novel."
David C. Korten, author of When Corporations Rule the World and Agenda for A New Economy
"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall