Highlights on the Show...December 7 - December 11, 2009

highlights imagesMonday

Hour Three: Has health care rationing by the government already begun?! Thom mixes it up with Carrie Lukas of the Independent Women's Forum www.iwf.org;  Plus, The Nation's Katrina vanden Huevel on Sarah Palin and "Going Rouge!"  www.orbooks.com

Tuesday

Hour Three: Will climate change ultimately destroy all life on earth...or is it just a big "left wing conspiracy?" Thom confronts Marc Morano of the Climate Depot  www.climatedepot.com;

Wednesday

Hour Three: "Do we need a government jobs bill to get people back to work?" Thom challenges Dan Gainor of the Business and Media Institute www.businessandmedia.org

Thursday

Hour Two: "Everything You Know is Wrong - is Denver going to create the first Extraterrestrial Affairs Commission?" Jeff Peckman, Chief Proponent of the Extra Campaign, tells Thom about the unique ballot measure facing Denver voters  www.extracampaign.org

Hour Three: Are toxic toys under your tree this year and what can be done about it? Thom has a rumble with Yaron Brook of the Ayn Rand Institute www.aynrand.org

Friday

Hour One: "Brunch With Bernie" Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) spends the hour with Thom discussing the issues and answering listener questions www.sanders.senate.gov

Comments

Gerald Socha (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

I listen to Thom’s radio show everyday that fits into my schedule and the listening does not disrupt doctor’s appointments, shopping, visits to family, work around the home and yard, etc. Listening to Thom, a person can receive an education.

He is right that if we abandon the Democrat Party, we may elect someone who will cause more problems. Plus, the elected politician can appoint certain people to the Supreme Court, etc. Thom has also said that we are at the start of more progressive change. He is probably right but cycles can take time, like a century or two or maybe three centuries. I do not have that much time in my life and in fifty years or so it will not matter for our sons.

I must state here that I disagree with him. Maybe Thom has to put up a positive expression to keep motivating himself on his radio show.

Thom, nothing will ever change in our country and I truly mean we will never change. Here are the facts. Our country is completely controlled by the industrial-military complex, the Federal Reserve that cannot be audited, the banks, the radical religious fundamentalists from every religion, and Wall Street. Ten percent of the people in our country control ninety percent of the people. This fact will never change. Thom, do you remember the saying, THE PEOPLE WITH THE GOLD MAKE THE RULES? I am certain that you do.

The grand experiment of electing a minority president has failed. Obama is an elitist. He is part of The Establishment.

NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE IN OUR COUNTRY!!! OUR COUNTRY WILL NEVER CHANGE!!!

We are a divided country where hatred, corruption, and lies are the norms.

Gerald,

I don't feel very hopeful when I look at the increasing corporate control and the "too big to fail" model continuing to proliferate (Comcast takeover of NBC Universal, for example.) If I saw any significant push-back by congress or others with influence and power to effect change or, as Thom says, prices of the stock of such corporations declined, I might believe change is on the horizon. There was, however, a push-back in today's NY Times editorial column:

"Concerns About Comcast - NBC"

Since you indirectly quoted von Bismark ("He who has his thumb on the purse has the power." Speech to North German Reichstag -21 May 1869), I have another one with which you might also agree:

"Man cannot create the current of events. He can only float with them and steer." --- Otto von Bismark, quoted in the London Independent

That encompasses perfectly how I feel. Until a movement reaches the proverbial "tipping point", this is where one finds himself. I agree with you, we probably will not see real, positive change in our lifetimes (though, who knows, we now know that significant climactic changes can occur in a very short amount of time. Since mankind is a part of nature, maybe he has this ability, too.)

Quark (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Jared Diamond a Sell-out?

Jared Diamond, scientist and author of Collapse and other best-sellers about reasons for the success or failure of human societies, had an interesting opinion piece in yesterday's "Week in Review" section of the NY Times:

"Will Big Business Save the Earth?"

I guess, if you think you can't criticize the issue of the existence of uber-size corporations, you find something redeeming to say about some of them. (It puts bread on the table...)

P.S.

Re: Jared Diamond a Sell-out?

I feel wishy-washy when I say this, but I DO believe that the world is not black & white, but shades of gray.

Quark (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

I may have posted this in the past, but it is worth repeating: TED talk (video):

"Jared Diamond on why societies collapse"

Zero G. (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Hoping for Chevron, Wal-Mart & Coca-Cola to save us?

Isn't Chevron still in bed with the Burmese junta?
Isn't Mal-Wart still destroying local commerce?
And saved by high fructose corn syrup?

Zero G.,

Exactly! You're right on (forgive the 60's term...)

Quark (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Thom IS talking about a tipping point. 'Worth pursuing, I think.

Zero G. (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Quark,

I'm very comfortable with 60's terms.

I'm a vintage '57, if I were a guitar I might be worth something...

chuckle8 (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

I wish Thom could get Ravi Batra to agree with him about rolling back the Reagan tax cuts.

When Thom did mention to Ravi that increasing taxes would help the economy, Ravi replied that in the current economic situation it would have a negative effect.

I wish Thom would have replied that he agrees that a general tax increase would not be appropriate at this time. Then, I wish he would have asked, how a tax increase to 78% on incomes over 3.2 million would have a negative effect.

Thomas Jode (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Hey! Everybody move to the Monday blog becasue this sure isn't it.

loretta (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

hi progressive buddies,

This year has been pretty tight, and I have some holidiay cards, tea towels and inexpensive pretty photos at my etsy store in case you need to find some inexpensive little items for the holidays.

thanks for putting up with this one-time self-promotion:-)

Gerald Socha (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Quark, I was quoting my brother-in-law, The people with the gold make the rules.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Quark, how do you survive the Minnesota winters?

Quark, more of my comments and quotes are being screening for moderation. I do not know if my comments and posts will be seen. For example, I have had several articles screened for moderation. Most of the articles I share are pertinent.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

I may not be able to post some pertinent articles but you can read many pertinent articles at antiwar.com.

Loretta (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

This terrific 2004 article by Thom on American-style fascism is being passed around Facebook right now.

"Although most Americans remember that Harry Truman was Franklin D. Roosevelt's Vice President when Roosevelt died in 1945 (making Truman President), Roosevelt had two previous Vice Presidents - John N. Garner (1933-1941) and Henry A. Wallace (1941-1945). In early 1944, the New York Times asked Vice President Henry Wallace to, as Wallace noted, 'write a piece answering the following questions: What is a fascist? How many fascists have we? How dangerous are they?'

Vice President Wallace's answer to those questions was published in The New York Times on April 9, 1944, at the height of the war against the Axis powers of Germany and Japan.

'The really dangerous American fascists," Wallace wrote, "are not those who are hooked up directly or indirectly with the Axis. The FBI has its finger on those. The dangerous American fascist is the man who wants to do in the United States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power.'

In this, Wallace was using the classic definition of the word "fascist" - the definition Mussolini had in mind when he claimed to have invented the word. (It was actually Italian philosopher Giovanni Gentile who wrote the entry in the Encyclopedia Italiana that said: "Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." Mussolini, however, affixed his name to the entry, and claimed credit for it.)

As the 1983 American Heritage Dictionary noted, fascism is: "A system of government that exercises a dictatorship of the extreme right, typically through the merging of state and business leadership, together with belligerent nationalism."

Mussolini was quite straightforward about all this. In a 1923 pamphlet titled "The Doctrine of Fascism" he wrote, "If classical liberalism spells individualism, Fascism spells government." But not a government of, by, and for We The People - instead, it would be a government of, by, and for the most powerful corporate interests in the nation. "

Gerald Socha (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

There is Obama-mania in Europe. My consult to Obama is that he should run to be the president of the European Union.

Loretta (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Sorry I offered the wrong link to Thom's article. The one I gave you was a re-post.

Loretta (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Randy Shaw on Common Dreams lists the reasons many liberals and activists set the bar so low for the goals Obama would be able to achieve and why that's hurting us now. http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/12/07-11

I bought into the idea that we needed to defend President Obama too, feeling that he wouldn't get elected if we criticized him too much. And after the election, I felt that we needed to defend him so that he could get the progressive agendas he had promised us passed. He kept telling us to be patient, that congress moves slowly...

In the meantime, Thom and so many other progressive leaders have been telling us that we MUST keep pushing him to the left or he will be pushed to the right.

I think the problem is that President Obama led so much of our movement over the last few years, and now that he is "selling out" in so many ways, we don't have a leader any longer. We are going to have to choose a new leader for our progressive movement.

Thom---we need you to do this! What do you say?

I think you will have to start organizing huge protests now along with doing everything else that you do. We need another bus tour with you, Michael Moore, Ed Schultz, Katrina V, Rachael Maddox and others gathering everyone up and leading them to Washington together for the biggest f.... revolutionary march the world has ever seen.

I feel we need to do this very soon!

Zero G. (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Lorreta, remember this?

THREATS AND RESPONSES: NEWS ANALYSIS; A New Power In the Streets
By PATRICK E. TYLER
Published: Monday, February 17, 2003
The fracturing of the Western alliance over Iraq and the huge antiwar demonstrations around the world this weekend are reminders that there may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and world public opinion.

In his campaign to disarm Iraq, by war if necessary, President Bush appears to be eyeball to eyeball with a tenacious new adversary: millions of people who flooded the streets of New York and dozens of other world cities to say they are against war based on the evidence at hand.

from: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/17/world/threats-and-responses-news-analy...

One of my largest frustrations, and my first anti-war street demonstration was in '67 with my folks, is that the Bush administration managed to completely overwhelm demonstrated public anger.

And I didn't see Barack Obama as the leader of the anti-war movement. (He did give an anti-Iraq invasion speech.)

What happened? We saw the Bush administration launch pre-emptive arrests of protest groups and leaders, free-speech zones, TV media freeze-outs, etc. Would any news analyst today argue that public opinion represents a balance to corporate/military power?

Zero G.,

You echo my sentiments. Millions of people out in the streets around the world didn't make any difference. I don't think protests are useful to anyone except FOX Noise. Logistically, what else can be done, though, I wonder? Thom talks about "movement politics." How, exactly, would this work (or would it?)

Quark (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

What do all movements have in common? Is it that there has been someone to get out in front of the parade? Do we need a "leader?" If so, where IS that person?

Zero G. (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Abbie Hoffman once observed that "we are all quarterbacks," and we tend to Disney-fy leaders and history, anyway. Consider MLK, the media would have you believe that he had a dream, won civil rights and then turned over and went back to sleep, not gone on to denounce Viet Nam and economic issues.

Zero G. (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Thinking back to the day I saw John & Yoko Lennon w/Elephant's Memory play to the crowd @ Bryant Park NYC during an anti-war rally.

All we are saying...

Zero G.,

You bring tears to my eyes...

But are you saying that we don't have leaders, we need leaders, or we can force change without a leader?

Zero G.,

Personally, I don't see any person(s) galvanizing the populace the way the people you mentioned did.

Zero G.,

I think the sentiment for reform is THERE, on both the left and the right. Who will head the parade?

Zero G. (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Quark,

I'm not sure. I am observing that we tend to rely on a leader to absolve ourselves our own responsibilities, we also prop them onto pedestals and then berate them for human frailties.

Zero G.,

I was observing that there always seems to have been a "focal point", if you will, a so-called leader, who gets the "movement" headed in the same direction. I do wish humans were more like the deer in Thom's story about democracy in the animal kingdom. If enough of us decide which direction to go, we all head off at once, regardless of what the alpha male is doing...

Re: "On a completely different subject, Is particle spin observed in three spatial dimensions a reflection of momentum of saId particle in a fourth?"

I think there is no way to tell. What do YOU think?

Zero G.,

I guess the daily blog is up now (for Tuesday.) I will cut and paste our previous comments into it again so we can all be on the same page...

Zero G. (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

It is well beyond my math skills, however, from my limited understanding of the equations, there are equivilant solutions which seem to suggest that.

I bring it up because the LHC has been powered up and is now the powerful collider in operation. I read Warped Passages by Dr. Lisa Randall who seems to believe we may find out with this tool.

Thom once mentioned it as a pigeon alert, when it had a problem at start-up. Dr. Randall isn't worried about a black hole being formed swallowing all known creation.

loretta (not verified) 9 years 40 weeks ago

Here's one of our amazing LEADERS fighting back against fascist corporate media:

Progressive Change Campaign Committee says:

"Wow. One day after announcing our new TV ad pressuring Sen. Joe Lieberman on public option, the momentum is tremendous.

News broke yesterday that progressive and conservative senators are meeting to strike a final deal on health care and that Lieberman thinks his obstruction makes him "relevant." By expanding our ad in DC, we can tell other senators to ignore Lieberman -- he's not even representing his own constituents.

Check out this example of Lieberman's arrogance, in direct response to our TV ad. From the Washington Post's Greg Sargent:

A spokesman for Joe Lieberman, whose talent for annoying liberals seems to have grown exponentially in the heat of the health care fight, is now responding to a liberal group’s new ad hammering the Senator by dismissing the public option as the “agenda of narrow ideological interest groups.”

Seriously? 68% of Connecticut voters who support the public option are a "narrow ideological interest?" This guy deserves to feel more heat.

Rachel Maddow played our Lieberman ad on national TV and said, "That's what it looks like when liberals push back!" Dozens of other media also reported on our ad.

NATIONAL MEDIA COVERAGE OF OUR AD

New York Times: Anti-Lieberman Ad Points to ‘Public Option’ Support

Washington Post: CT-Sen: Liberals attack Lieberman in ads

Washington Post Plumline (Greg Sargent): Lieberman Spox: Public Option Is “Agenda of Narrow Ideological Interest Groups”

CBS: Progressive Group Blasts Joe Lieberman Over Public Option

ABC: Lieberman vs. Liberals 'for Lieberman'

NBC: First Read

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow covers PCCC Lieberman ad

CNN: Liberal group takes aim at Lieberman

Huffington Post: New Anti-Lieberman Ad Gets Personal About Public Option

TPM: Liberal Group Takes Aim At Lieberman For Obstructing Public Option

Daily Kos: Payback time! Lieberman pressured in new TV ad

Washington Monthly: Targeting Joe In Connecticut

Boston Globe: Liberal group slams Lieberman

Wonkette: Connecticut For Lieberman Party Displeased With Joe Lieberman Lately!

Politico: PCCC mocks Lieberman

Click here to help expand our ad buy in DC by chipping in $5.

CONNECTICUT MEDIA COVERAGE OF OUR AD

The Day Newspaper (Connecticut): "It's all about Joe"

Hartford Courant: Liberal Group's Ad Targets Lieberman

MyLeftNutmeg Blog: Connecticut For Lieberman

FOX Connecticut local evening news

NBC Connecticut: Ad: "It's All About Joe"

Nearly 2,000 people chipped in to help air this ad -- and now, we're aiming to expand our buy in DC. Can you chip in $5 today?

--Adam Green, Stephanie Taylor, Aaron Swartz, Michael Snook, Forrest Brown, and the PCCC team

America Needs To Move Seniors Out of Poverty and to Stop Choosing Between Food & Medicine

Thom plus logo For decades, progressives have been talking about eliminating the cap on the Social Security tax and raising Social Security benefits enough that retired and disabled people can actually survive.

Latest Headlines

Who rejected United States-North Korea peace talks?

There were conflicting reports on Sunday regarding a recent proposal for United States-North Korea peace talks which was allegedly made before North Korea"s recent nuclear test

U.K. Pound Falls As Markets Get Brexit Jitters

Bloomberg said on Monday the pound had sustained its biggest fall against the dollar in 11 months

Clinton: I'll defend Israel but push for 'two-state solution

Hillary Clinton believes both Republican candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz "missed the mark" with their approach to the Israel-Palestinian Arab conflict
"In Cracking the Code, Thom Hartmann, America’s most popular, informed, and articulate progressive talk show host and political analyst, tells us what makes humans vulnerable to unscrupulous propagandists and what we can do about it. It is essential reading for all Americans who are fed up with right-wing extremists manipulating our minds and politics to promote agendas contrary to our core values and interests."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community and When Corporations Rule the World and board chair of YES! magazine
"Right through the worst of the Bush years and into the present, Thom Hartmann has been one of the very few voices constantly willing to tell the truth. Rank him up there with Jon Stewart, Bill Moyers, and Paul Krugman for having the sheer persistent courage of his convictions."
Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth
"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."