Sen Jim DeMint - Terrorists or Unions?

tsa union imagesThe TSA - which keeps us safe from airplane bombers - is without a director.  Why would one of our most vital security agencies be headless?  Well, it's actually quite simple.  President Obama nominated a very highly qualified candidate, former FBI special agent Erroll Southers, but Southers has expressed his support for federal employees being able to be members of unions - which most are.  Senator Jim DeMint, the Republican from South Carolina who's also a member of the notorious Washington DC Christian Taliban cult "The Family," thinks that having our baggage screeners have better pay and working conditions is a bad thing, so he put a hold on Southers nomination, effectively blocking it in the Senate.  Jim DeMint is more concerned with destroying unions and good wages for working people than he is with whether or not your next flight is blown out of the air.  You may want to consider calling his office and letting him know what you think of that, after you write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and tell everybody you know what an enemy of the American working class multimillionaire DeMint is.

Comments

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

So the TSA nomination has been Jim Demented?

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

The Live Blog sorta' isn't today.

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

Alrighty then, bumper stickers I'd like to see...

Con Artist, Convict, Conservative

Pro Equality, Pro Labor, Progressive

I'm for a better Tomorrow
I'm a Progressive

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

I know about the Ludlow Massacre... Do you?

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

The bonus army wasn't an extra military wing for the government to use!

Haymarket Square
Ever heard of it?

I love all cats...
Except fat ones

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

The greatest cause of illegal immigration...
illegal employers.

Instant Runoff Voting,
Look for it at a poll near you.

A 10 letter word for pointless obstruction

Filibuster

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

Keep your religion out of my government and
I'll keep my government out of your religion.

Religious test for politicians,
How about a Civics test instead?

Great you can name all 7 Dwarves,
How about the Bill of Rights?

Support our troops, prosecute war criminals,
foreign and domestic!

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

Bring the manufactures back Home!

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

Corporations are not People!

Nels Nelsen (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

Democracy is better in the hands of the PEOPLE and,
Democracy better be in the hands of the PEOPLE.

Tea-baggers
What a wonder service to pay for.

Zero G. (not verified) 10 years 4 weeks ago

I'd rather someone who will burn the flag then wrap themselves in the Constitution, than someone who would burn the Costitution and then wrap themselves in the flag...

bobbler (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

I love the sound bytes guys (I feel we need sound bytes to compete in todays media).. I feel the left is frequently on the defensive, and I think it makes it hard to create good sound bytes..

Thanks for the link on the atheist symbol removed..

Maybe this is the only way to fight the fundies in todays political system. I hate it that it pits atheists against fundies, because it should really be the fundies against everyone else (but most people dont realize what religious freedom is, and so do not feel it slipping away)..

bobbler

arlan boll (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid,

Thank you for forcing a vote on President Obama's nominee to lead the Transportation Security Administration when Congress reconvenes. It is no secret the post remains vacant because Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., has held up President Barack Obama's nominee in opposition to the prospect of TSA workers joining a labor union. DeMint's war on labor has gone far enough! Like policemen and firemen these people working airport security need to know they have a assured job so they can concentrate on there job of making our airports secure. Our unions in America make our country stronger. The United States is a Union! Many of the heroic first-responders on 9/11 were also union members. Some of them gave their lives trying to save others that day. DeMint should be reprimanded for playing politics with peoples lives. The TSA needs a leader to push forward it's reform and stop lapses in security which lead to attempted attacks on our Airlines.

Arlan Boll

John Stringham (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

Jim De Mint is a con. Would it be accurate to call him Con- DeMint. If so what kind ? A pickle? His mouth sure does get him in to a pickle. Jam ? Same reason as pickle ? Mabe he prefers peanut butter .I would not be surprised to find out that his dog likes it.

John Stringham (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

I am a union member. Road Sprinkler Fitters Loccal 669. It is a fire sprinkler instalation union .The term "road " is in reference to willing to travel to where ever the work is . In larger cities there is a fire sprinkler union that has jurisdiction for the area. The rest of the country basically is under the jurisdiction of the Road Fitters. When conditions are favorable we are allowed to work in other jurisdictions. Iv'e worked in both union and non-union. To be honest, I quit every non-union employer.The owners were way to selfish, everything was about his greed. I never quit a union employer.I work for employers who share the same mentality as the workers, which is that we are in it for our families .He provides me a very good opportunity. My labor provides profits for our families, including my bosses. It makes me very happy to see him (my boss) sucsessful. He too is happy to see his employees doing well. So what is it Jim DeMint has against families?What does Jim DeMint have against employers who PROUDLY want to provide well paying jobs to thier employees? What does Jim DeMint have against employees who Proudly work for thier employers? I support the notion of government unions, My experiance with my union is very favorable and I would highly recomend to anyone who wants to be a responsable and productive employee, to join a union.

John Stringham (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

Just out of curiosity I looked up the word congregation. I thought it may have a similiar definition tothe word, union. A reasonable mind can see the similiarity in the definitions.Near the word "union", in my dictionary, is the word "union church" It (the dictionary) refers to the congregation as a union.Just like the "UNITED" STATES is a union, so are,in my opionion, churches. Jim DeMint proud UNION HATER

Kyle Duncan (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

Since TSA workers are so highly educated and work in dreadful conditions with such low pay---why would they continue doing what they do? They clearly have the necessary skills to work wherever they want. So it doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't find unionizing the highest priority.

livnletlv (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

Yas, those southern christian boys do enjoy a good con! ; ) Like...calling for prayers for God to take out their adversaries and then rolling around in group gropes for God--to show who is the most humble, repentant and worthy of all.

How refreshing it would be to have some civil servants who (just once) would simply do the right thing by their constituents (assuming they serve individuals and not big corps)...

What I want to know is, where is the dignity in this type of behavior. It's all very strange if you ask me: as if a mass hypnosis was performed on a grand scale.

livnletlv (not verified) 10 years 3 weeks ago

"Nels Nelsen December 29th, 2009, 11:34 am

Support our troops, prosecute war criminals,
foreign and domestic!"

Can we agree that supporting our troops means 1) getting them out of an illegal and un-winnable war, 2) giving them and their families the benefits they deserve and 3) stop sending soldiers overseas to serve more than one tour each.

I wonder what it's going to take for our country to stop being a serial "occupier"...

BobbyO5666's picture
BobbyO5666 9 years 29 weeks ago

The TSA workers should have a right to a labor contract it is as simple as that.

Most workers in the USA have a right to organize, Hence they have a say about important work place issues.

Since the begining of the organized labor era there has never been a work force so large been to be denied a labor contract.

No Goverment employee services more people in any given day, (holidays included) No gov employee is tested more. They have a delicate job of Customer service/ Security. They are often scrutinized regarding the balance of these issues. Which is why they need a contract of specific performance. So they know entirely there job as well as the one of management, whom tends to cater to airlines but also wants to have as few screeners on the floor as possible. So it becomes a fire drill with mando work hours until the lines have been serviced.

The other issues you hear little about is the costs. Under the radar management runs the show spending the money as they see fit. Well Bush and freinds have had this for 8 yrs. The gravy would be curtailed if the had a union.. They outsource... They over employ management.. so much so there is little solid decision making. I wouldnt be suprised if there was kickback situations with regard to vendors. There appears to be much waste.

Trump and His Billionaire Buddies Plot to Destroy Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid

Thom plus logo Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are officially in the crosshairs of the Trump administration, and they intend to go after them this year.

Latest Headlines

Who rejected United States-North Korea peace talks?

There were conflicting reports on Sunday regarding a recent proposal for United States-North Korea peace talks which was allegedly made before North Korea"s recent nuclear test

U.K. Pound Falls As Markets Get Brexit Jitters

Bloomberg said on Monday the pound had sustained its biggest fall against the dollar in 11 months

Clinton: I'll defend Israel but push for 'two-state solution

Hillary Clinton believes both Republican candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz "missed the mark" with their approach to the Israel-Palestinian Arab conflict
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Hartmann combines a remarkable piece of historical research with a brilliant literary style to tell the grand story of corporate corruption and its consequences for society with the force and readability of a great novel."
David C. Korten, author of When Corporations Rule the World and Agenda for A New Economy
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
"Never one to shy away from the truth, Thom Hartmann’s collected works are inspiring, wise, and compelling. His work lights the way to a better America."
Van Jones, cofounder of RebuildTheDream.com and author of The Green Collar Economy